DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

What is the history of the Earth-2 Batman? I know who it is, but not much else. I won't be reading the issue for two or three weeks so I humbly request one of you to spoil it for me.

He faked his death to protect Bruce, but when he revealed himself to Bruce, Bruce disowned him. When Bruce passed in the war, Thomas decided to take up the mantel to honor Bruce.

Interesting, not what I expected. Does it explain his meta powers?

The new 52 version of Miraclo!

I'm not kidding

Huh, I was thinking he might be a literal spirit of vengeance. This worries me a bit as I was hoping to see Hourman.

Anything is possible, I mean, they brought back Thomas Wayne.  Rick Tyler could come and try to avenge his father/brother

Someone somewhere else pointed out that Thomas got the Miraclo from Rex Mason, not Rex Tyler.

Taylor said in an interview that it was intended to be Tyler. He didn't realize which name was in the book until it was published. I suspect it'll change by the time the trade rolls around.

So, Rich Johnston wrote the following at Bleeding Cool:

It is very rare that Bleeding Cool runs a “Final Page Spoiler”, where we run the final page of a comic book the day it comes out., It happens sometimes, the New 52 Detective Comics #1 was one, the final page of the final issue of Green Team was another. It’s there to point out something that might give people who weren’t going to buy the comic book a reason to buy it.

But if you were going to buy it, then you should stop reading now. And the comic is.....

I'm not following.

None of this answers the question of "will she be written in a manner similar to what made Batgirl such a great book under BQM, or will she be radically revamped?"

This isn't a Detroit sports team.  If you get your hopes up, it's not inevitable that you will be disappointed.

So, Rich Johnston wrote the following at Bleeding Cool:

It is very rare that Bleeding Cool runs a “Final Page Spoiler”, where we run the final page of a comic book the day it comes out., It happens sometimes, the New 52 Detective Comics #1 was one, the final page of the final issue of Green Team was another. It’s there to point out something that might give people who weren’t going to buy the comic book a reason to buy it.

But if you were going to buy it, then you should stop reading now. And the comic is.....

This is the first I've heard about Batman: Eternal. A WEEKLY series set in the present. Interesting.

Edited by The Natural

You don't need to spoiler Batman Eternal. Its a weekly series set in the present, not the future. Its was just this specific issue of Batman #28 set in the future to give more time for Snyder and co. to finish up Zero Year.

You don't need to spoiler Batman Eternal. Its a weekly series set in the present, not the future. Its was just this specific issue of Batman #28 set in the future to give more time for Snyder and co. to finish up Zero Year.

Ah, thanks. Last Batman book I read was Batman #23.2.

Just when I want to give up on DC altogether they make me happy by putting the entire Palmiotti/Connor run of Power Girl in one volume. I had misplaced my 2 volume editions so this gives me a chance to buy this, read it and fall in love with it all over again!

James

• Like 1

I read Batman #22, a monthly UK magazine collecting Batman #25, Batman and Two-Face #25 and Nightwing #23 in this order. Batman #25 is a Zero Year issue telling how Bruce Wayne became Batman. Resuming from the last issue with the Riddler blacking out Gotham City, Batman investigates two grisly deaths as Jim Gordon meets up with Bruce Wayne. This was a very good issue. The second story from Batman #25 by Scott Snyder with James Tynion IV is a short one as we’re reintroduced to a younger Harper Row and brother, Cullen as Harper tries to reassure him not to be scared of the dark. It was an okay story.

Batman and Two Face #25 jumps between the past: the new origin of Harvey Dent becoming Two-Face at the hands of Erin McKillen from a Gotham City crime family and the present with Batman/Two-Face interaction and Erin McKillen in custody. This was a great issue. Nightwing #23 sees the fallout from the Prankster’s actions/revelations from the previous issue and it was a really good issue. Might be the best issue from the storyline.

Red Lanterns #27/28, GCL Annual #2. #28, Green Lanterns #28, Larfleeze #7. Right now I'm really digging the Green Lantern books. With exception of Larfleeeze and New Guardians they all gel pretty well and flow together nicely. Red Lanterns could use a stronger central plot, but its generally fun just seeing the Reds become actual characters under Soule's pen. The new plot with Supergirl should be decent enough due to Soule, but I have to admit hating it as a concept as backtracks the character far too much. I'm loving the war the Corps are having with Durlans. Its nice to see it be more than just big action with the games the Durlans are playing and the way the Corps need to bring in allies. With the introduction of another potential element to the war, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out over the next few months. Another thing I'm really liking is just the amount of spread focus Jansen and Venditti are giving characters in their books. By the end of Johns run it was pretty much all about John, Hal, Guy, and Kyle. Its good to see so many of the other Lanterns getting some focus while still not taking much away from the main guys. Larfleeze continues to be one of the most fun books from DC. Its a little weird considering the most powerful forces in the DC Universe are pretty much here and fun to see Larfleeze seemingly ascending pretty close to their levels with all that is going on with him.

Earth 2  #20, Annual #2. I like the origins of newest Batman and the attitude he brings to the table. Woukld have preferred no new Kryptonions, but I do like the angle with Val.

Batman #28. Pretty solid read though I loath the plans to turn Selina into Kingpin. its ridiculous bs that doesn't feel like it jives with her character at all. Its all the more annoying when you consider characters like Penguin and Black Mask are there to use in such a role.

In general I was mostly naming crime boss Batman rogues. I don't like Selina in the role, because it feels like it could very well take her into full villain which would be nonsensical bs at this point. It could end up being something much more and good, but right now its sizable turn off for me getting Batman Eternal.