DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I read Batman #21, a monthly UK magazine collecting four issues instead of the usual three: Batman Annual #2, Batman and Two-Face #24, Batman #23.2: The Riddler and Nightwing #22 in this order. Batman Annual #2 was split into two parts and this issue has the second with Batman having to deal with a free Anchoress in Arkham Asylum. Having read the whole Annual now, I liked it.

Batman and Two Face #24 sees Gotham crime families unite to stop common enemies. Erin McKillen is the former and the main focus of the story returning to Gotham City after operating from abroad and her role in Two-Face’s creation years ago. I never expected a new Two-Face origin and I liked this offering more than Mr. Freeze’s new origin in Batman Annual #1. This was a great issue. I thought Peter J. Tomasi/Patrick Gleason’s start on the title was off the first two issues with the writing on Bruce Wayne/Damian Wayne. Since then, every issue printed in Batman I’ve liked (#3-8, #0, Annual #1, #18-24) and some were brilliant: Batman and Robin #0, Batman and Robin Annual #1, Batman and Robin #18 and Batman and Nightwing #23.

Batman #23.2: The Riddler written by Ray Fawkes has The Riddler attack Wayne Enterprises Tower showing his intellect. I particularly liked how Riddler’s riddles were presented at the start of the issue and answered as the story went on. This was a very good issue. Nightwing #22 continues Nightwing’s search for Tony Zucco, his new home of Chicago and issues with the Prankster who wants to punish those in brutal ways. This is my first introduction to a Nightwing solo book and it’s a very good one.

Read Fables: Arabian Nights (and Days), Wolves, Sons of the Empire. Dug how the alliance with the Arabian Fables came together. I liked seeing King Cole actually be useful. And Frau Totenkinder once again had a pretty dark but awesome moment in how she stopped the Djinn. The story focused on Rodney and his love was an interesting one. The romance between the two was nice, but what I really enjoyed was the darker place in life it ultimately lead the two. Mowgli's hunt for Bigby in Wolves was enjoyable. Bigby's actual mission was fantastic. Its always fun to see him play spygames, but the way Bigby actually threatens the Adversary with the comparison of Fabletown to Israel and letting him they will come down harder every time Fabletown is attack was tremendous especially as you see its effectiveness in scaring/pissing off the Adversary in the next volume. The wedding between Bigby and Snow afterwards was perfect, just the wonderful heartwarming moment You had been waiting for with all the build Willingham had given their relationship. Sons of Empire was interesting. The arrogance the Empire seemed to show in how easily they thought they could take down the Mundy world was amazing. It only made it so much better when Pinoccio pointed out all the problems and just how easily such this would lead to the Empire's complete and utter defeat. The Christmas stories were good fun. I especially enjoyed that they weren't just random one offs and gives some foreboding for the future. Santa being the one who was talkign to Snow as Colin beforehand was a nice, unexpected surprise. Dug the meeting between Bigby and his father. You finally get a real sens e of why Bigby hates the bastard, and it was nice getting a bit more depth on Bigby's family. great reads all around.

I'm looking at how Marvel is really pushing this new muslim Ms. Marvel, it got me wondering, whatever happened to the Baz GL?  Kinda disappeared since this whole Forever Evil started, and I'm not reading any of the GL books anymore, but it looks like he's not there either.  Hmm...

Random thought, I love what James Robinson did on Earth 2 and I wish he were still on it, but so far the new team has been keeping up the quality so far, so as of now it'll continue to be the only DC book I get on a regular basis.

What is the history of the Earth-2 Batman? I know who it is, but not much else. I won't be reading the issue for two or three weeks so I humbly request one of you to spoil it for me.

He faked his death to protect Bruce, but when he revealed himself to Bruce, Bruce disowned him. When Bruce passed in the war, Thomas decided to take up the mantel to honor Bruce.

What is the history of the Earth-2 Batman? I know who it is, but not much else. I won't be reading the issue for two or three weeks so I humbly request one of you to spoil it for me.

He faked his death to protect Bruce, but when he revealed himself to Bruce, Bruce disowned him. When Bruce passed in the war, Thomas decided to take up the mantel to honor Bruce.

Interesting, not what I expected. Does it explain his meta powers?

The new 52 version of Miraclo!

I'm not kidding

I'm not kidding

Huh, I was thinking he might be a literal spirit of vengeance. This worries me a bit as I was hoping to see Hourman.

I'm not kidding

Huh, I was thinking he might be a literal spirit of vengeance. This worries me a bit as I was hoping to see Hourman.

Anything is possible, I mean, they brought back Thomas Wayne.  Rick Tyler could come and try to avenge his father/brother

I'm not kidding

Anything is possible, I mean, they brought back Thomas Wayne.  Rick Tyler could come and try to avenge his father/brother

Someone somewhere else pointed out that Thomas got the Miraclo from Rex Mason, not Rex Tyler.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the new creative team for Superman coming this summer, Geoff Johns/John Romita Jr.!  Is this JRJ's first extensive DC Comics work?  I seem to only  think of Marvel when his name is brought up