DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Finally finished up Morrison's JLA run with JLA Deluxe Edition Vol. 4. This was by far the most I enjoyed his run. The characterization was good. Loved the new Injustice Gang which was perfect in size, skill, and ability. And I loved seeing all the little things Morrison had been planting beforehand finally playing out with a big story in Mageddon. The idea that Earth will become the 5th world is very interesting one and I would love to see an actual story on it. The Earth 2 OGN was good, fun read though a bit odd in though a bit odd in how it leaves things so totally screwed for poor Luthor from Earth 2. I may have had problems with the first half of Morrison's run, but I felt he got much better with the second and ended it on a strong note.

American Vampire (Vol. 4). This book collects American Vampire #19-27. #19-21 looks at James Book and Skinner Sweet in the US Army battling the Indians in 1871 and an Apache belief which is a vampire. The Book/Sweet tandem is interesting because of later developments particularly in the first volume. #22-25 sees a vampire hunter in 1954, Travis Kidd out to get the vampire responsible for the death of his parents and how it led to him having shock treatment for his beliefs that vampires exist. #27-29 returns to look at a character in a previous story arc whose identity I won’t spoil. I got this for Christmas 2013. A very good book though the weakest of the four volumes because the other three set such a high mark.

I'm starting to feel like Multiversity is never going to happen, much like All Star Boy Wonder or Batman: Europa. 

And Morrison's really just taking a break from superheroes. Palette cleanser. Doesn't mean it won't turn out to be an ending, but given how entranced he's become with the mythological aspects, I'd be surprised if he stays away too long.

In other news, interviews seem to be hinting that Wally is now the son of...

The New 52 Reverse Flash, Daniel West.

There's also kinda hints that he may be grim n' grittied up.