DVDVR Message Board

MISC MATCHES

DEAN

FINALLY, after bitching about this here for ages, it's back online. You remember the old line Bill Hicks said about American Gladiators, something like "two pituitary retards banging their fucking skulls together"? That's this match, but with more people, and it's glorious. Or you could just quote Jim Ross: "blood in your face, stick in your face-type wrestling"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27n2l_the-steiner-brothers-vs-the-skyscra_sport

And of course without Rippa's recommend I woulda never known about it. 

The Steiner Brothers vs. Dan Spivey/Sid Vicious (11/15/89) 
This match was on the undercard of Clash of The Champions IX "New York Knockout". That would be the card with the Funk/Flair I Quit match. For some bizarre reasons, this match is one of my favorite matches. Ever since I watched it live, I loved it. One of those horrible guilty pleasures. Phil and I watched it a couple of days ago which inspired me to write about it. Why is it good? Well the Steiners are actually good in this match and Spivey is a pretty darn good wrestler. Ten seconds into the match, Rick drops Spivey right on his head with a belly-to-back suplex that gets the crowds attention. About a minute later, Scott does a just about the best Frankensteiner that he ever does and then immediately kills Sid with that 360 fallaway slam thingy that he used to use. It's the move that collapsed Sid's lung but just not in this match. Basically, there is six minutes of solid wrestling punctuated with Spivey kicking Rick's head off. The ending slightly lost it in the fact that it ends with a Doom run-in but even that is good as Scott hits a Frankensteiner on Butch Reed as soon as he hits the ring. It was done so crisply and timed so perfectly. It is about this time that Nitron wanders 
down to the ring, grabs Woman, then wanders out of the ring. Hey, thanks for playing, here's your paycheck. The Road Warriors hit the ring to even things out and the crowd is mad insane. Rightly so as this is the greatest bench clearing brawl in wrestling history. Meanwhile, Jim Ross is yelling "It's a Pier 6 brawl as Gordon Solie would say." I was in full mark out mode right as the go to commercial while everyone is still waffling each other. That in and of itself worked because they left before any of the guys blew up. This Clash was one of the best because of this match, the I Quit, and the Dynamic Dude/ Midnight Express match. Go grab a copy of this. NOW!

I went looking for the totally baller WAR in Budokan match from '93 between Tenryu and Hashimoto that I had on my external (which is as good in a conventional wrestling sense as their '98 G1 match was as a hellish war to the death) to no avail, but I did find this. 

WAR Commercial Release 4/2/93 in Sendai (1 hour 45 minutes)
WAR vs. New Japan
● Jushin Liger & El Samurai vs. Ultimo Dragon & Masao Orihara
● Haku vs. Dick Slater
● John Tenta vs. Rio, Lord of the Jungle
● Shiro Koshinaka, Kengo Kimura, Kuniaki Koabayashi & Akitoshi Saito vs. Super Strong Machine, Ricky Fuyuki, Ashura Hara & Tatsumi Kitahara
● Tatsumi Fujinami vs. The Great Kabuki
● Riki Choshu & Shinya Hashimoto vs. Genichiro Tenryu & Takashi Ishikawa

We've probably all seen the opener, but look at this... Haku vs. Dick Slater? Fujinami vs. Kabuki? Tenta vs. RIO LORD OF THE JUNGLE?! Yeah, Tenta and Renegade squaring off for no reason at all, that's got to be priceless.

• Like 1

Here's a young bemulleted Billy Gunn (before he discovered the pharmacy) working as a jobber for the Road Warriors.

Kip Montana sounds like someone who should be cleaning the pool in Logjamming 2: Return of Bunny.

Sounds like an invitation to review this baby, so let's go!

This made me have a flashback to the '80s Lucha set initially as the supposed rudo team (Heisen Ishingun, Koshinaka's band of supposed karate masters, judging from their appearance? Did Onita just rip them off when he did the early stuff in FMW?) jump the supposed tecnicos though there is NO crowd support for the WAR side, unlike Mexico. NONE. Not only that, but the ref clearly doesn't give a shit about what's going on and just lets HI's side beat on em while the WAR boys stand on their side of the ring protesting. And not only that but their main target is a guy with a mask on which they rip away at. After that things kick into Japanese mode. Some of the strikes look to be pulled but I don't believe a single kick was, and just about everybody busts out one out starting with I think Saito who is the single rebel of the HI faction wearing his full black gi and working barefoot. The crowd dominates through this as they absolutely despise Super Strong Machine, New Japan traitor, who pulls off a sick deadlift powerslam and later a similar deadlift German. They seem to hate Fuyuki almost as much as SSM but then, who wouldn't. Kitahara finally takes over with some of those vicious kicks for the "turnabout is fair play" portion of the match but WAR loses shortly thereafter. HI talks a ton of shit both before and after the match and the brawl is neverending really. Also, Kobayashi just outright slung some chairs at people, the shit was reckless.

I went to go see where you had Ultimo Guerrero and Rey Buccanero around this time on the 500 (and that's moot. UG was around 30-something).

I really want to know what B. Brian Blair did in 2001 to get him to #202 though.

He was doing a scientific wresttler gimmick in Florida and we partied and freaked out.  Then he re-disappeared.

I went to go see where you had Ultimo Guerrero and Rey Buccanero around this time on the 500 (and that's moot. UG was around 30-something).

I really want to know what B. Brian Blair did in 2001 to get him to #202 though.

He was doing a scientific wresttler gimmick in Florida and we partied and freaked out.  Then he re-disappeared.

Hey - don't lump me in with that. That was all Tom and Schneider

I am was too busy trying to decide between Takashi Tachibana and Yoshiya Yamashita