DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Cornette was really cool about meeting and chatting with fans at the SICW show in May...even had the chance to talk to him a bit about guys who came out of this area like Matt and Delirious.  He had a great verbal exchange with local manager Travis Cook that ended with Cook on the business end of the tennis racket...good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLGFLUP8thU&feature=player_embedded

had the chance to talk to him a bit about guys who came out of this area like Matt

WHO??????

What, you want me to say Evan Bourne?  Heh.  I may not be our buddy "Crimefighter", but he's Matt Sydal again.

had the chance to talk to him a bit about guys who came out of this area like Matt

WHO??????

What, you want me to say Evan Bourne? Heh. I may not be our buddy "Crimefighter", but he's Matt Sydal again.

You just said Matt. There are a lot of Matt's in the world.

I always thought a good FO gimmick would be a cricket bat, wielded by an English/Aussie manager.

Didn't Johnny Polo have a cricket bat?

Polo mallet initially, followed by a hockey stick while managing The Quebecers

Undertaker and Ken Shamrock had a feud over a baseball bat

It should have at least been a bat with some appeal to a collector, like George Brett's pine tar bat or the bat Babe Ruth hit home run 714 with.

Have it revealed that in addition to being an undead, occultist, funeral director, biker; the Undertaker also collects baseball memorabilia.

• Like 1

Yeah, but it was only a self-proclaimed spoiled mama's boy laying in the shot with the racket; loaded or not. It just looked goofy to me.

The funny thing is that it was loaded more for them to use a weapon to fight off the fans, esp in Mid-South.

A number of times recently, he has told stories about people getting knocked silly from racket shots, thanks to the horseshoe inside it.

I always thought a good FO gimmick would be a cricket bat, wielded by an English/Aussie manager.

I always thought there should've been some bald portly cigar-chomping manager called Der Kommissar who wore a jockey helmet and Ray-Bans. And helped his team win by blasting fools in the back or back of the head with a nine-iron. Why? I have no idea.

• Like 2

Yeah, but it was only a self-proclaimed spoiled mama's boy laying in the shot with the racket; loaded or not. It just looked goofy to me.

Well that's the thing that was so great about it. It was designed to piss off all the roobs in the crowd. Jim Cornette the slick lil mama's boy taking out someone with a loaded tennis racket. Honestly he could have done a Bob Hope gimmick and gotten the same reaction with a loaded golf club.

Heh. Didn't see your loaded golf club thing before my previous post. Then again, I don't think the business end of a nine-iron needs to "loaded." Yeah, as I said earlier I guess he was just doing in tag wrestlers with the racket so it was par for the course.

One of the most dastardly manager assists was Paul E. Ninja Dangerously blasting Steamboat with that huge eighties cellphone at SuperBrawl '92.

I always thought there should've been some bald portly cigar-chomping manager called Der Kommissar who wore a jockey helmet and Ray-Bans. And helped his team win by blasting fools in the back or back of the head with a nine-iron. Why? I have no idea.

Would he manage a guy named Falco who was doing an eurotrash gimmick?

(Ugh.  Now that awful song is stuck in my head.  Thanks.)

Would he manage a guy named Falco who was doing an eurotrash gimmick?

(Ugh.  Now that awful song is stuck in my head.  Thanks.)

Nah. Just some Midnight Express wannabe sleazy dudes.

That crap song was a bit before my time so I never got overexposed to it fortunately. Apologies for the annoying earworm.

I've never been a huge follower of any indies.  I started when Dino Sanna used to bring names in to every show in the mid-90s, then I followed Afa's training school when he was still up here in PA.  Outside of that I've seen a handful of other shows like some Chikara, JAPW and Corino-promoted stuff.  However, I'd like to start following a group that I can go see in person.  I live in Eastern PA (Lehigh Valley) and am willing to drive an hour or a little more to see a show.  Any recommendations?

I've never been a huge follower of any indies.  I started when Dino Sanna used to bring names in to every show in the mid-90s, then I followed Afa's training school when he was still up here in PA.  Outside of that I've seen a handful of other shows like some Chikara, JAPW and Corino-promoted stuff.  However, I'd like to start following a group that I can go see in person.  I live in Eastern PA (Lehigh Valley) and am willing to drive an hour or a little more to see a show.  Any recommendations?

Excellence PW, which has a lot of the local Chikara guys, runs pretty consistently around there. They have a show tomorrow night in Sellersville. Also, depending on where in the Lehigh Valley you live, CZW isn't that far for a bigger show. 

• Like 1

I've never been a huge follower of any indies. I started when Dino Sanna used to bring names in to every show in the mid-90s, then I followed Afa's training school when he was still up here in PA. Outside of that I've seen a handful of other shows like some Chikara, JAPW and Corino-promoted stuff. However, I'd like to start following a group that I can go see in person. I live in Eastern PA (Lehigh Valley) and am willing to drive an hour or a little more to see a show. Any recommendations?

Theres also the chikara spinoff Wrestling is Fun.

Indy wrestling shows are fun for the perspective of seeing things up closer than you normally would with a bigger promotion.  You'll see different things than you normally would, for better or for worse.  It can be rough around the edges and your mileage may vary depending on your style preferences, but that's part of the charm.  Guess I'm lucky that there's a generally solid scene in the St. Louis area, so maybe I'm a bit spoiled in that regard.

My only Cornette story is more about his "lovely" wife. At an ROH show in line to get a coke when the woman in line in front of me starts getting really nasty with the teenager working the concession stand. "I'm Jim Cornette's wife! I don't have to pay for this!" She wanted that free hot dog and peanut m&m's and didn't care who she annoyed is the process.

• Like 4

Indy wrestling shows are fun for the perspective of seeing things up closer than you normally would with a bigger promotion.  You'll see different things than you normally would, for better or for worse.  It can be rough around the edges and your mileage may vary depending on your style preferences, but that's part of the charm.  Guess I'm lucky that there's a generally solid scene in the St. Louis area, so maybe I'm a bit spoiled in that regard.

The other fascinating thing about watching indy wrestling shows is the "minor league" prospect watching. The guys that start in your local indy promotion that work their way up the ladder to bigger indies and get "promoted" to AA and AAA indy promotions with the really good ones making it to WWE. I think it's one of the reasons Daniel Bryan really resonated with fans in that they saw him work his way up from small indy shows into a big star.

• Like 1

Yeah, one of the highlights of my indy fandom was seeing Matt Sydal(just going by "Matt" at the time) as a scrawny rookie barely out of high school in the St. Louis area...and then seeing him make it all the way to a WrestleMania appearance as Evan Bourne.

My only Cornette story is more about his "lovely" wife. At an ROH show in line to get a coke when the woman in line in front of me starts getting really nasty with the teenager working the concession stand. "I'm Jim Cornette's wife! I don't have to pay for this!" She wanted that free hot dog and peanut m&m's and didn't care who she annoyed is the process.

I went to an ROH show at the Manhattan Center and I remember looking over at this table that had this woman sitting there with a miserable look on her face that you couldn't knock off with a sledge hammer. Cornette was walking around in between matches happy to be there and she acted like she couldn't be more disgusted by us the whole night.