DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

"WWE officials reportedly recently told Cesaro to quit doing his Cesaro Swing because of how it was getting over with the fans."

Ummm...what the holy fuck WWE!?

Then why give him that shirt? NOW what fucking "swing" is he "king of?"

King of partner swapping?

King of playground equipment?

King of the trapeze?

With WWE, who the fuck knows.

"WWE officials reportedly recently told Cesaro to quit doing his Cesaro Swing because of how it was getting over with the fans."

Then why give him that shirt? NOW what fucking "swing" is he "king of?"

King of partner swapping?

King of playground equipment?

King of the trapeze?

With WWE, who the fuck knows.

They complete his depush by putting him into a feud with Fandango? 

• Like 2

Is that dude Rowe that's in the team War Machine in ROH any good? He's wrestling Luke Hawx tomorrow for Hawx's Wildkat promotion, & I'm thinking about checking it out.

Isn't Bestia coming in for that show? Been to 4 Wildkat shows and they are always fun. Nice mixture of LA/TX/MS talent.

WWE ALWAYS does that to heels!  There seems to be a feeling that heels shouldn't have exciting moves that pop the crowd.  That is, until they earn a certain amount of cache, like say Randy Orton as a heel, then they can do the move all they want.  I'm STILL trying to wrap my head around the fact that they hired Daivari because they loved his magic carpet finisher, then NEVER had him do it on TV.  Makes snse

• Like 2

WWE ALWAYS does that to heels!  There seems to be a feeling that heels shouldn't have exciting moves that pop the crowd.  That is, until they earn a certain amount of cache, like say Randy Orton as a heel, then they can do the move all they want.  I'm STILL trying to wrap my head around the fact that they hired Daivari because they loved his magic carpet finisher, then NEVER had him do it on TV.  Makes snse
That's not why Daivari was hired. Pretty sure it was because he was fluent in "Arabic".

WWE ALWAYS does that to heels! There seems to be a feeling that heels shouldn't have exciting moves that pop the crowd. That is, until they earn a certain amount of cache, like say Randy Orton as a heel, then they can do the move all they want. I'm STILL trying to wrap my head around the fact that they hired Daivari because they loved his magic carpet finisher, then NEVER had him do it on TV. Makes snse

The swing is an unbelievable comedy move unlike Orton's RKO...bad comparison. And no, heels should have nothing outside of something physical looking to pop any crowd. By definition, crowds boo heels.

Austin was talking about that on his podcast with Daniels, about how it seemed like on the last ROH PPV the heels seemed more concerned with popping the crowd than actually being heels. Daniels kinda tip-toed it, agreeing while trying to explain that was more ROH's style, but Austin didn't really buy it.

Isn't this yet another example of WWE talking out both sides of there mouths. They tell the guys to get themselves over don't rely on the writers and then someone does and WWE tells them to stop doing the thing getting them over cause it doesn't fit into WWE booking.

• Like 2

While I agree they should have never given him the jacket I don't see the issue here. IF he is going to be used as a heel, he shouldn't be using moves that will excite people. This is one issue I have always had with high flying heels. It is hard to truly be a heel if you are going to be using athletic moves that people will admire. This is why I don't buy Seth Rollins as a heel. His moveset is too damn pretty for me to take him serious as a heel. So if Cesaro is going to be a heel, then he shouldn't be doing the swing. (Hope I made you proud Jim Ross)

Cesaro's just not gonna be a heel with the giant swing.  If they want him heeling it up, they can't have him doing that.  But they COULD have him doing a million other things he's not doing to help him get over.  They should have just let him run with the Andre thing and be the upper mid-card face.  He could be the one feuding with Rusev right now - the EU has more reason to beef with Russia right now, anyway.

• Like 1

Dude I forgot all about the Andre thing, it's like they think of you have a title (either symbolic or physical) they can just job you into infinity.

News flash! No one likes losers! Goddamn let people win more than once in a row!

And WTF was the point if swagger busting Jo's trophy of he's supposed to be a heel?

I'm flabbergasted that they don't just let things be natural. It's been said a hundred times but SCSA, in today's WWE, would've ate ten clean RKOs the second he went off the rails with that unscripted 316 shit.

You do realize it took almost seven months before they truly got behind Austin?  Sure, they had the shirts, but Austin was barely on the SummerSlam card, was losing to Bret Hart for the rest of 1996, and was about to programmed into a midcard feud with Davey Boy Smith for WM13, before they finally figured out what they had by Rumble time.

I'm flabbergasted that they don't just let things be natural. It's been said a hundred times but SCSA, in today's WWE, would've ate ten clean RKOs the second he went off the rails with that unscripted 316 shit.

You do realize it took almost seven months before they truly got behind Austin? Sure, they had the shirts, but Austin was barely on the SummerSlam card, was losing to Bret Hart for the rest of 1996, and was about to programmed into a midcard feud with Davey Boy Smith for WM13, before they finally figured out what they had by Rumble time.

But he had the opportunity to put himself out there in his own words

People seem to forget Austin's WCW run when discussing his breakthrough after the 3:16 promo. He was an upper midcard talent in WCW, former United States,, Tag Team Champion and had feuded with Ric Flair. Was he being underutilized? Yes. But it's not like Vince and co. couldn't look at his WCW body of work and make an assessment of his ability to take the ball and run with it. 

Austin getting into a feud with Bret was about where he was in WCW. By early 1994, Austin was on a trajectory to be a main event talent in WCW. Hogan coming in changed the calculus tremendously. 

• Like 2

So this generation of wrestlers is screwed, if they get over in the indies and then come to the WWE they can't get over on there own cause WWE can't look at there past work and say wow that's why we signed this guy in the first place.

The point is that Austin and Cesaro are apples and oranges. Austin had already had a largely successful national run so he was a safe investment. Cesaro has never had that so WWE may feel more cautious. 

I feel like the point sailed WAY over your head.

We are way past the days of a wrestler getting a push based on the past. The WCW guys are the last of that bunch. Now, the Indies gets you signed, getting the attention of Trips and Nips gets you pushed.