DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

If TNA could somehow manage to move their operation over here to the UK and convince their top stars to emmigrate they could keep going and be (relatively) successful. I can only assume the fact they're on freeview here is the reason they draw a big crowd

The TNA library would be worth it to Vince for Angle alone. There's a guy who at his height was bigger than anybody they had but SCSA and Rocky. And while people around here hate his work (and I'm lukewarm to it), he's still widely considered one of the best from that era and a future Hall of Famer. I think all those years in TNA really dampened his legacy, but there would be good money in a DVD set. The problem is that he's probably gonna die in the ring, but still.

WWE just announced the signing of Fergal Devitt.

Whether the WWE Universe will ever see Devitt sporting some of the flashier elements that made him stand out in Japan — the Chris Jericho-esque light-up ring jacket or sprawling, comic book-inspired body-paint designs — remains to be seen.

“I’ve always got a couple of tricks up my sleeve, so I’m going to come up with something new before then,” he said. “But yeah, look out for the light-up jacket, look out for the body paint. Look out for a new Devitt.”

Interesting.

They should give Devitt a gimmick as an italian-american guy with a heavy long island accent, who does some writing and consulting, and always accidentally CCs the wrong "Paul" on his emails.  This always results in getting someone fired or screwing up major deals gimmick.  Biggest heel in the company with 2 months.  Plus they can use the gimmick to future endeavor guys.  

These network numbers are going to be interesting...I read something about further budget cuts if they look like shit again and the stock responds accordingly. Who is on the block? I'm curious to see who would be gone in the next wave of "future endeavored".

So, uh, here's a really weird thing I noticed.

All major WWF/WWE competitors lasted approximately 12-13 years on television.

GCW - 1972-84 (bought by Vince)

JCP - 1975-88 (bought by Turner)

WCW - 1988-2001 (bought by Vince)

ECW - 1989-2001 (bought by Vince)

TNA - 2002-14 (undone by its own hubris)

So, uh, here's a really weird thing I noticed.

All major WWF/WWE competitors lasted approximately 12-13 years on television.

GCW - 1972-84 (bought by Vince)

JCP - 1975-88 (bought by Turner)

WCW - 1988-2001 (bought by Vince)

ECW - 1989-2001 (bought by Vince)

TNA - 2002-14 (undone by its own hubris)

I appreciate these numbers, but can we really call TNA a major competitor.  They were more like an annoying rash that wouldn't go away.  

• Like 1

The optimist in me is looking forward to seeing Devitt and Kenta bust some skulls. The cynical wrestling fan in me is wondering how long before they get depushed and jobbing to R-Truth

Re: The moves and stuff for bad guys/good guys

I guess I am just too old for this new style of everyone gets cheered. Judging by most of the crowds that have been dead for a long while, they are too. Imagine if The Freebirds and Von Erich BOTH got cheered in Texas.. Would their battles be any more exciting? Probably not. What if Lawler wasn't so beloved in Memphis that regular joes in the crowd weren't willing to climb the cage in that match with Austin Idol? Wrestling's most beloved matches are because the crowd gets invested into because the good guy/bad guy dynamic. If the bad guy starts getting cheered, doesn't that defeat the point?

• Like 1

Is this worth talking about?

"Seventh match: Mitch Ryder vs Suicide Kid. Kid wins by disqualification after Ryder hits him with a low blow.

Main event: “Never Say Die” Josh Crane vs Ian Rotten in a Hardcore match. Four panes of glass in each corner, light tubes and a bat and a croquet mallet covered in barbed wire. Both men went through all four panes, Ian getting the win after leg whipping Josh through the last pane.

Ian Rotten announces that his body can no longer go through the punishment – he will retire after having his last match on the 600th show August 8th. His opponent will be his own son, Johnny Rotten. Mickie Knuckles requests to be the special guest referee. The whole locker room empties and gathers around the ring, applauding Ian Rotten."

1. Ian is still doing deathmatches

2. He's doing another retirement

3. His POS son is starting a career

4. Mickie, who swears he lied about everything about her and threatened her with a screwdriver is involved

5. IWA MS is still putting on (mildly stacked) shows

The more things change...