DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: GANGREL

RIPPA

You can tell I didn't put much thought into today. I probably should have to save myself the agony of having to sift through Fire Emblem Awakening vidoes

Oh and just because this happened

You have to hand it to David Heath.  Unlike Barry Darsow, he found a gimmick he liked and stuck to it which led all of the stuff about Heath being a practicing vampire much like the "assumption" that Kevin Sullivan is a practicing satanist.

• Like 1

Isn't the whole deal with Gangrel that he was over, had a look they liked, but they put him on the live mic in one major setting and he bombed and never got a push again.

I think what happened was that in one match he got his shirt knocked off him and showed that he was kind of fat, and that was that.

I don't know if he ever lost the weight, but him and Kevin Thorn as poser mall vampires in WWECW was a missed opportunity, for sure.

Gangrel might be the single most perfect example of what Vince Russo thinks a great superstar is.  He's got an AWESOME entrance, awesome music, a cool costume, an interesting look, an extra prop with the blood goblet, an inexplicable magic superpower with being able to rain blood down on his opponents from the ceiling... and then he's booked in pointless mini-feuds which never go anywhere and substandard matches which always seem to last a grand total of ninety seconds.  I've probably seen a hundred Gangrel matches, but I dunno if I could even begin to evaluate him since those hundred matches total up to seemingly fifteen minutes of action.  

And he's said to have that long legendary Al Snow-esque career in various obscure territories and little indies, but good fuckin' luck ever finding anything but a tiny fraction of that footage.  

I think what happened was that in one match he got his shirt knocked off him and showed that he was kind of fat, and that was that.

I don't know if he ever lost the weight, but him and Kevin Thorn as poser mall vampires in WWECW was a missed opportunity, for sure. 

Yeah, the belly story is the real one iirc.  I don't understand why they didn't just change up his gear, and give him something besides a Seinfeld puffy shirt which seemed like it was DESIGNED to constantly reveal his gut.  If they'd just let him wear one of those slimming girdle-type singlets underneath, that would have solved half the problem right there.  

And yeah, I wondered back in 2006 why they didn't involve Gangrel with Thorn.  Heath was actually working for them at the time, mostly as a trainer in Deep South, and not doing much of consequence.  Kevin Thorn was NOT remotely believable as any kind of menacing creature of the night, and it would've been to his benefit to either have Gangrel as a coffin-credible tag partner/manager, or an mirror-world opponent who constantly belittled Thorn for being such a laughable nosferatu.