DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: STAN HANSEN

RIPPA

Babyface Stan Hansen is gonna get some revenge on Ole in the name of Dusty Rhodes...

Only in Georgia (or possibly Texas) can Stan Hansen beat the crap outta people and swear vengeance on Ole Anderson for turning on Dusty Rhodes

James

• Like 1

There is a match on 3/29/89 (maybe) between Stan and Tenryu that I just found on my external hard drive and is the absolute most brutal. You can see Tenryu thinking, "in just a couple of years, I can do this to younger wrestlers". It's such a mauling, Stan treats him like a jobber and he has to step up and give as good as he gets. After watching that and the Triple Crown unification match where he beats on Jumbo like a dog... wow. (At the same time I would not want to be on the receiving end of any of Tenryu's enzuiguiris or Jumbo's double-hand chops in either match. Or certainly, the inadvertent crotching Stan gives himself on the railing in the Tenryu match, which looks just short of a castration)

I don't even know where to start.  Stan Hansen... okay, video game metaphor time.  In Final Fantasy games, you can frequently summon some kind of badass mystical personas who swoop in and do some kind of special attack.  One of the more badass ones tends to be Odin, who typically has the effect of slaughtering all your enemies with one hit.  Well, if all the wrestlers of the world were expressed as Final Fantasy heroes or villains (omg, THERE'S a thread idea...) Stan Hansen would be Odin.  He kinda exists on a different level than most other guys.  He's so brilliant in his psychology, so impressive with his cardio, all those little things that most people don't notice while they're just marking out for STIFF STIFF STIFF.  

And let's talk about that for a moment, shall we?  I may be thrilled to watch Hansen's matches (and I turned a whole new generation onto him with the younglings over at the Spoony forums), but I feel bad for the poor motherfuckers who have to be in the ring with him.  No less a manly man than Terry Funk himself complained in his book about how goddamned hard Stan hit him in their matches.  (If you require an unmanly man, Bert Prentice said of the one time he worked with Hansen, Stan kicked him so hard that he hurt for the next three weeks.)  Never forget the agonizing physical toll that these kinds of matches take on their participants.  And sometimes it kinda bugs me when the fans who've never stepped foot in the ring demand "hit 'em harder!" of wrestlers whom they condescendingly judge as being too light.  The human body can only take so much, as Misawa so tragically demonstrated.  Strong style isn't "noble" or "honorable" like some assholes insist; it's what these guys had to do to make a living, because it's what the fans expected of them.  And how many of those WCW jobbers do you think ended up in the hospital after their matches with Stan, and who knows if the company felt like paying those medical bills?  Okay, maybe that didn't happen, but still, they got paid not-enough to receive a beating like no other, which certainly left the poor schmucks aching at least for days afterwards (and that's the best-case scenario).  Sometimes this shit isn't worth it.  

Okay, rant over, LARIATOOOOOO!

There's SO many different matches with Hansen that I love so much, I can't put them all in one post.  (And some are annoyingly hard to find.)  But let's see what we can see.  

First of all, lemme show you the first match of his that I ever saw.  It was against Kobashi, but it wasn't the famous one, it was a rematch from the next year.  No, it's not as epic as the '93 match, but it's still amazingly fun, with an interesting finish:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSjo_IGaU00

For pure randomness: didya know that young Rob Van Dam worked All Japan?

Speaking of random, Japan is NOT impressed by the Nasty Boys: 

More random, the Million Dollar Man's brief return to All Japan: 

And here's Stan and Kenta TALKING in a nice long interview: 

I'll be back for more tomorrow.  

"Jumbo Truta" "Teneruu" "You long-haired weirdo"

Hook-em-Horns, baby

I already posted this in the Colon thread but it bears repeating. If anything makes Stan look more like a horrible redneck and heels both him and Chicky at the same time, this is it. You just know after this Carlos will bleed like mad but Hansen is getting crushed, and Chicky is getting the Cornette treatment.

TEXAS~!

"Finish with him" makes me laugh every time. Then the hogtying makes me feel very uncomfortable and I have to justify it saying "hey, that's wrestling in the '80s". And "that's Stan Motherfucking Hansen". Or, as J.T. just did, "TEXAS~!"

This has to be one for the WAR files. Let me know how hard they beat on Mil, if Baba allowed it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3_HFRHKJMQ

We would be so remiss to not post the match where Stan BUMRUSHES THE SHOW and makes his big splash into All Japan.

• Like 1

MOAR HANSEN.  He'd be wrestler of the week, if I had my druthers.  

To sync up with another thread, I bet Johnny Ace is not the best guy in this tag match: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlN2oJwxXYk

Stan and Harley Race vs the Road Warriors.  'nuff said.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXhz4mJiirE

Another Hansen/Vader match, this one from WCW.  It's notable for some really fun commentary, with Jim Ross being very nervous as the two behemoths keep going outside the ring near the announce table, while a possibly-drunk Dusty is just marking out for the match and laughing his ass off more often than not.  

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5dwqt_wrestlewar-1991-stan-hansen-vs-big_sport

Young heel Hansen against the Destroyer!  The match is kinda pedestrian, it was after Beyer's prime and before Stan's, but check out the hilarious postmatch shenanigans.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRIffn4PBVo

And there's a few other matches I'll mention but cannot post.  During the 1995 Champion's Carnival, Hansen oddly teamed with Misawa and Kobashi against opposite-day Baba teaming with Kawada and Taue in a six-man tag that went the full hour.  Find it for yourself, I tried and couldn't, but it's really fun and worth watching.  (EDIT: I just now randomly remember that I counted how many solid bumps Baba took in that match: 14.  FOURTEEN BUMPS, and doing an HOUR BROADWAY at his size, his age.... jesus CHRIST, Baba was unbelievable.)  Same deal with a match he and Vader had against Kobashi and Akiyama in 1998.  And his 1990 match against Hulk Hogan is WWE property, but the fine folks in their online division have the match available to watch here:  http://www.wwe.com/videos/hulk-hogan-vs-stan-hansen-wrestling-summit-april-13-1990-26096804