DVDVR Message Board

MAY ANIMATED GIF THREAD

I think those elbows are pretty dope, actually.

As for the Lacey one, she could flip through like Sasuke and please the internet at the expense of a concussion, but I'm good with that backflip version.

If he hadn't gone bald, I'm wondering where his career would have went. I'm not sure Stone Cold works with the long flowing blonde mane, maybe if he got Brian Bosworth's approval.

Who's the other guy, anyway?

I believe it is Chris Devine

And I can't remember if I posted this here or in the Hernandez WOTD thread. Either way it brightens my day

b.gif

• Like 4

Yeah, I get that, but it looks like Konnan is going for a dropkick to the shin.

Quiet Storm.  It was a Konnan vs. Divine Storm in a gauntlet match.  After a few minutes, it became apparent that Konnan was in no shape to be working, and after Divine failed to produce anything watchable, Storm decided to not even try.  I'm amazed that GIF exists, as I thought that the match never saw the light of day.

One gif I do want, is from some ROH show that was Cheech/Cloudy vs Whitmer/Jacobs where Cloudy botches a springboard moonsault to the outside so bad he ends up giving himself a hotshot.

Yeah, I get that, but it looks like Konnan is going for a dropkick to the shin.

Quiet Storm.  It was a Konnan vs. Divine Storm in a gauntlet match.  After a few minutes, it became apparent that Konnan was in no shape to be working, and after Divine failed to produce anything watchable, Storm decided to not even try.  I'm amazed that GIF exists, as I thought that the match never saw the light of day.

I think it wasn't on the DVD of the show, but they released it a couple of years later with a bunch of other previously unreleased matches, including the ICP match for which the ICP paid ROH.

Yeah - its on the Ring of Honor: Uncensored Vol 1 DVD

(17) Divine Storm (Chris Devine & Quiet Storm) beat Konnan. This took place at Final Battle 2002. For a while now I have been reading about how bad this match was. I couldn’t really believe it because I saw Konnan in ROH at Revenge on the Prophecy and while he wasn’t great, he certainly wasn’t bad enough to get booed out of the building. And after seeing how unfairly Jeff Hardy was treated at Death Before Dishonor I figured the bad rap this match got was probably just as undeserved.

Well, I was wrong.

This may possibly be the worst match that a major promotion has ever put on. First of all, Konnan came out with some sort of Gladiator/Bullfighter-type outfit that might go over huge down in Mexico City, but just looked plain goofy in Philadelphia. The match started off with Devine against Konnan and while it was bad, it wasn’t that bad. It wasn’t long before the two started blowing spots and the crowd let them, especially Konnan, have it. Konnan won after hitting a brainbuster-suplex like dealie and looked noticeably blown up. (3m35s)

But it got worse. Much worse.

Quiet Storm got into the ring and wrestled Konnan. By this point Konnan was wrestling as if he was wrestling in slow motion. It was a total car wreck but you won't be able to tear your eyes away from it. I have never, EVER seen a wrestler this blown up, and keep in mind I've watched several Vincent Verhei matches. This was surreal because Konnan would almost just be standing there as Storm would try to do moves around him. I always heard the expression that Ric Flair to carry a broomstick to a three star match. Well, even a broomstick would sell more than Konnan did here. Storm yelled out for the “Storm Cradle Driver” but Konnan reversed out of it only to be pinned by an overly complex rollup soon afterwards. (5m30s) Ring announcer Stephen DeAngelis said the winner of the second fall was Quiet Storm, so I imagined this was “Lucha Libre” rules and we’d have 2 out of 3 falls. Nope. They all just went to the back, amidst “Don’t Come Back!” chants, where Konnan shot a quick promo saying it would take a couple matches to get his “wind back.” That and about three oxygen tanks.
  • Like 1