DVDVR Message Board

2014 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

No one can honestly feel comfortable saying "Just because it's a summer comic book movie that's getting really good reviews doesn't mean it's going to make a lot of money."

(Granted, I'm the guy who was saying "James Gunn directing Chris Pratt, come on now people" a couple of months ago.)

No one can honestly feel comfortable saying "Just because it's a summer comic book movie that's getting really good reviews doesn't mean it's going to make a lot of money."

Look away, Fowler.

rhymes with Schmott Scmilgrim.

Dont think that will happen here, since Marvel brand is almost teflon.

(Granted, I'm the guy who was saying "James Gunn directing Chris Pratt, come on now people" a couple of months ago.)

Well, no one HAS said that. I don't think it's going to be the biggest movie of the summer.

Lucy is 59% with 74 reviews

Besson ain't had too much critical acclaim success since The Fifth Element. That was eight Besson movies (not counting this one) ago. Both The Lady and The Family got below 35%.

Lucy is 59% with 74 reviews

Besson ain't had too much critical acclaim success since The Fifth Element. That was eight Besson movies (not counting this one) ago. Both The Lady and The Family got below 35%.

What's interesting is that since I posted it - it has gone up to 63% with 91 reviews

I avoided putting Lucy on my RT list which would make me happier if the Purge and Hercules were going to totally bone me anyway

The early reviews for comic book movies are usually fan boy reviews as well and you maybe will have one guy designated as a "Top Critic" on RT thrown in there.

I remember Superman Returns was at 100% for like its first 15 reviews.

The early reviews for comic book movies are usually fan boy reviews as well and you maybe will have one guy designated as a "Top Critic" on RT thrown in there.

I did get a little curious and Guardians has 3 Top Critics so far - Hollywood Reporter, Variety and TheWrap

It also has reviews from at least 3 UK publications (Daily Mirror, Guardian, Daily Telegraph)

There are also reviews from some "known" places (Empire Magazine, Total Films, comingsoon, indieWIRE)

Not to stereotype too much but I saw no female reviewers in there this morning for instance.

Well too be fair - I can't think of a single female reviewer period. (Excluding the woman for Entertainment Weekly whose name I am spacing on)

Is there a female version of Roger Ebert?

Not to stereotype too much but I saw no female reviewers in there this morning for instance.

Well too be fair - I can't think of a single female reviewer period. (Excluding the woman for Entertainment Weekly whose name I am spacing on)

Doesn't Dana Stevens write film reviews for Slate?

I don't entirely understand how the math goes on reviews, but I'd be kind of curious to go back and look at superhero movies on RT and look at a) the Male/female divide and B) how that then breaks up as rotten or fresh. Again, I don't want to stereotype (though I know I am) but in truth I think there might be some sort of correlation.