DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

How is Kobe even a draw? He's been out for forever now, and even before then, he seemed like a shell of himself. With so many more exciting players in the league, I just wonder why that line of thinking still occurs.

How is Kobe even a draw? He's been out for forever now, and even before then, he seemed like a shell of himself. With so many more exciting players in the league, I just wonder why that line of thinking still occurs.

Go read the baseball threads from this season and insert in "Kobe Bryant" wherever you see "Derek Jeter". 

LeBron, Durant, and Kobe are parts of the pop culture landscape.  They generate news and more importantly, money.  Even if you're not a sports fan, you'll recognize their names and faces.  They are the league's superstars, and it's that simple. 

Griffin and Paul aren't too far from that status based on all the commercials they have, but don't have the championship/MVP pedigree to push them over the top.  Rose has the MVP hardware, but not the personality.

It's no different from when Bird, Magic, and Jordan were the league's Big 3.  Barkley came on strong, and Shaq/Penny not long after.  But Bird/Magic/Jordan carried the league in terms of marketability for several years.  Same as LeBron/Durant/Kobe are doing now.

LMFAO at the Lakers STILL having more national TV games than everyone else.

YAY!!! More Swaggy P on National TV! This is great news and now I won't have to worry about switching to DirecTV.

WTF? He's been out less than Derrick Rose...c'mon now. 

LeBron, Durant, and Kobe are parts of the pop culture landscape.  They generate news and more importantly, money.  Even if you're not a sports fan, you'll recognize their names and faces.  They are the league's superstars, and it's that simple. 

Griffin and Paul aren't too far from that status based on all the commercials they have, but don't have the championship/MVP pedigree to push them over the top.  Rose has the MVP hardware, but not the personality.

It's no different from when Bird, Magic, and Jordan were the league's Big 3.  Barkley came on strong, and Shaq/Penny not long after.  But Bird/Magic/Jordan carried the league in terms of marketability for several years.  Same as LeBron/Durant/Kobe are doing now.

Bird, Magic and MJ were never on non-playoff teams either. 

He hasn't really had a great ad campaign yet, IMO.  Blake shows up in commercials when you're watching pretty much anything on TV.  He's kinda the new Shaq in that way.  Durant mainly in generic sports commercials, I think.

He also hasn't really had any drama that's dominated sports talk like LeBron or Kobe back during his peak. 

You know, speaking to some sports fans who aren't basketball fans .. the only current NBA players they know are LeBron, Kobe and Blake Griffin.  I specifically brought up Kevin Durant and they weren't sure.

My wife could recognize Chris Paul because of the insurance commercials. 

I like that that Kevin Durant Cleaning the Gutters for the Asian lady commercial better than any Blake commercial.

That's how she recognizes Durant... that commercial or the one where he turns into a rocket.