DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

If the rumors are true, the Pacers are acting like that lunatic at a yard sale that wants $20.00 for their candy dish. They've apparently offered Hibbert to Phoenix for Dragic and to Detroit for Monroe.

Man I would love to hear that call for the reactions of the Phoenix and Detroit gms. Tough sell.

Just one season but what the hell. Kwame the Bust Brown vs The All-Star Roy Hibbert

27ycy8w.jpg

That 43% 2p% is amazing for a big man.

Hibbert's poor (er, terrible) shooting is one thing, but his rebounding is what is truly mind-boggling.

(That said, he is an elite rim protector, so he's not completely without value in the right situation....)

Well, Lebron has never played with a elite rim protector.*

*Well, in his prime Shaq was one, but his prime and his time in Cleveland don't overlap.  In fact, I'm not sure they can see each other.

Anthony Bennett is fatter than Hot Plate Williams & Oliver Miller in that video...combined!

I've already started my Sixers welcome Bennett picture. Most Sixers forums are really excited about it though. Guess I'm neutral to it.

2610tud.jpg

Anthony Bennett is fatter than Hot Plate Williams & Oliver Miller in that video...combined!

I've already started my Sixers welcome Bennett picture. Most Sixers forums are really excited about it though. Guess I'm neutral to it.

2610tud.jpg

The fact that they got him for Thad Young makes the trade a win even if Bennett never pans out.

Hinkie is doing an interesting job with the pieces he has acquired and drafted.  2015-16 will be an interesting season or is it 16-17.

Thad was one of those players who is a nice third or fourth option on a team but got forced into a higher role because he played on a bad team.

In terms of the Sixers rebuilding he is a chip that got flipped for the number one pick last year.  Given the uncertainty around Bennett it is hard to say who got the better of the deal long-term.

He will put up in the teens for the Wolves and maybe get flipped at the trade deadline for a pick.

The Sixers get back another piece.  In terms of their rebuilding he might turn out well he might not but at least he should start the season.

Hinkie made a good deal here.  

In two years the Sixers may start to make some noise 

PG - MCW

SG - ???

F - Bennett/Saric

C - Noel/Embiid

The Sixers will have some different looks rotation wise because the guys can play different spots.  But who knows, the key is developing the talent so the Sixers do not find themselves in a situation like Detroit where Monroe is ready to walk after next season.

After 10 years of teams that were destined for 40-50 wins and a first round exit (the real graveyard of the NBA) they have some hope if guys develop.

The worst place to be in the East is the 7th or 8th seed knowing that you will get bounced out of the playoffs in the first round yet the 9th and 10th seeds in the West get lottery picks.

If anything Young is underrated. It is a mystery to me the Bennett love. I keep reading how Bennett is a better shooter from range than Young. It just isn't true. Young had some seasons where he stopped shooting 3s. Last season he started shooting them again at a high volume. His percentage wasn't good. Better than Bennett's though. If they are judging Bennett based on college it still doesn't make sense. Again in college Young was better. Young has shown he can do it in the pros. He was a decent 3 point shooter his 2nd and 3rd seasons in the NBA.

Bennett seems to have better rebounding instincts but that is it.

Basically it comes down to pay and the threat of Young opting out after this season. It really wouldn't make sense for Young to opt out though. That 10 million for next season is nice and even for a 3rd wheel like him he is better off waiting for the new TV deal for a new long term contract. He will just be 26 this season. They might think pay will be too high on an extension or there will still be a few more seasons of growing pains. I'd like to think they will start trying to win games 15-16.

The potential downsides are it might be better to have Noel play next to SIms this season to get used to what it will be like playing next to Embiid. They can't be thinking of Bennett at the 3. Unless it is to get worse.

I guess I should point out I do get why they make the trade. Same thing I said with the Wolves. Better to swing and miss than play for the 8th seed every year. Known quantities that aren't stars don't have as much value here now.

Edited by Cole Miner

If anything Young is underrated. It is a mystery to me the Bennett love. I keep reading how Bennett is a better shooter from range than Young. It just isn't true. Young had some seasons where he stopped shooting 3s. Last season he started shooting them again at a high volume. His percentage wasn't good. Better than Bennett's though. If they are judging Bennett based on college it still doesn't make sense. Again in college Young was better. Young has shown he can do it in the pros. He was a decent 3 point shooter his 2nd and 3rd seasons in the NBA.

I'll preface this by saying that I don't believe Bennett will every be better than an average player, but he was in the worst possible situation a player could be in last year.  He was coming off a shoulder injury, dealing with sleep apnea and asthma, and on a bad team with serious locker room issues.  So I can see the logic that he has nowhere to go but up.

I'll preface this by saying that I don't believe Bennett will every be better than an average player, but he was in the worst possible situation a player could be in last year.  He was coming off a shoulder injury, dealing with sleep apnea and asthma, and on a bad team with serious locker room issues.  So I can see the logic that he has nowhere to go but up.

Yeah that is reasonable and fair. I am kind of generalizing a bit too much as far as fan reaction here. It is mixed and a lot of it is level headed. But you do have the folks saying his upside is Barkley, Carmelo Anthony. One guy so excited for Bennett he is getting season tickets. It is just that stuff jumps out more than reasonable point of views like that one. I have no idea what his ceiling or floor is going to be. So who knows, they could turn out to be right; as unlikely as that seems. I'll root him on while he is here either way. The Bulls and Cavs look like they are going to be strong for some time to come. Be nice to compete with them in a couple years.

Yeah that is reasonable and fair. I am kind of generalizing a bit too much as far as fan reaction here. It is mixed and a lot of it is level headed. But you do have the folks saying his upside is Barkley, Carmelo Anthony. One guy so excited for Bennett he is getting season tickets. It is just that stuff jumps out more than reasonable point of views like that one. I have no idea what his ceiling or floor is going to be. So who knows, they could turn out to be right; as unlikely as that seems. I'll root him on while he is here either way. The Bulls and Cavs look like they are going to be strong for some time to come. Be nice to compete with them in a couple years.

Jesus, really?  I would peg his best case scenario at, like, Antawn Jamison.  And that might be generous.