DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

You know, speaking to some sports fans who aren't basketball fans .. the only current NBA players they know are LeBron, Kobe and Blake Griffin.  I specifically brought up Kevin Durant and they weren't sure.

My wife could recognize Chris Paul because of the insurance commercials. 

Well, she might only recognize Cliff Paul...

• Like 1

I want to know Jeremy Lin's celebrity status.  He had a moment there where he was getting the big push before he flamed out.

He might actually make the All-Star team next year since he'll probably get more press in Los Angeles.

You know that 124 million dollar Carmelo Anthony contract?

Well, some dude from the WSJ is reporting he's getting a chunk of that up front.

How big of a chunk? 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/carmelo-anthony-is-taking--62-million-of-his-new-five-year-deal-in-advance-payments-004243004.html

New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony is getting advance payment of more than $62 million from the five-year contract he signed last month, according to people familiar with the matter.

The advance for $62,032,340—or 50% of his $124 million-plus deal—is the maximum Anthony can take this soon under league rules.

That's been corrected.  Carmelo will receive early payments, but not $62 million in one year:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/knicks-carmelo-anthony-takes-62-million-advance-1408146976

Corrections & Amplifications

An earlier version of this article misstated the timing of advance salary payments to be received by the Knicks' Carmelo Anthony. Anthony will annually receive 50% of his yearly salary in an advance payment. He won't receive half of the entire $124 million contract this year.

Dick Bavetta is retiring after 39 years.  He reffed 2635 consecutive regular season games, 270 playoff games, and 27 finals games.

Now let's get Joey Crawford to follow him.

Apparently, the final, final, ultimate, absolute final details of the Love/Wiggins deal look like this:

Cleveland gets: Kevin Love

Philadelphia gets: Mbah A Boute, Alexey Shved, Miami's (via Cleveland) 2015 first-round draft choice

Minnesota gets: Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett, Thaddeus Young

From ESPN:

The Sixers tried to get Bennett as part of the Young transaction, sources said, but Minnesota was determined to keep the second-year forward to be a key piece in its rebuilding effort despite Bennett's disappointing rookie season with Cleveland.

So Bennett stays with Minnesota after all.

Trade can be announced at 12:01 AM Eastern time this morning.

Minnesota handled things perfectly. Rare deal that seems to work out for both teams. There are some comical meltdowns going on in Sixers groups since so many of them talked themselves into Bennett being something special. I doubt the guy would have been drafted in the top 20 in this years draft. My favorite has to be the guy that is angry the Sixers didn't get Bennett because Bennett sucks and a good GM should be able to get a player that sucks in a trade.

Rubio, LaVine and Wiggins has potential to be a good core. I will be shocked if Bennett improves enough to be a core piece but stranger things have happened. I certainly won't be rooting for the guy to fail just to validate that opinion. Would rather be wrong and see things work out for people.

Assuming everyone stays healthy fingers crossed for a Cleveland and Chicago Eastern Conference finals. Lot of teams to like in the West. Hoping New Orleans breaks through this year.