DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Even during that abortion of a season in L.A. Dwight was still the difference between a roughly league average defense when he was in the court and the worst in the league when he sat.

If they keep Parons and add Bosh, that is still a very poor defensive team.  Bosh is an ok defender, but can he guard Duncan, Dirk, Griffin, Aldridge, etc out west every night?  Not likely.

Is he an upgrade over their current options?

One of the more insane rumors I've heard is the Heat are indirectly and very quietly telling Bosh to take the max from Houston, then turning around and giving his contract to Melo, re-signing Wade and Lebron after. 

I... don't even know where to begin with that.

One of the more insane rumors I've heard is the Heat are indirectly and very quietly telling Bosh to take the max from Houston, then turning around and giving his contract to Melo, re-signing Wade and Lebron after. 

I can see that actually. . . .

Kelly Dwyer's timeline of the 1996 offseason. I don't think the Lebron decision in 2010 and this offseason compare to 1996. The draft, some of the signings, Zo going to the Heat, Juwan Howard's first attempt to joining the Heat, the Davis duo in Indiana, Jerry West shedding contracts to pay Shaq, Jordan's max contract. I would have loved to have seen how social media would have handled the Shaq deal.  Also amazing Shaq hit free agency at 24.

Latest free agent news...

Rick Bonnell @rick_bonnell 

Gordon Hayward will sign a major offer sheet with the Hornets.

• Like 1

If they keep Parons and add Bosh, that is still a very poor defensive team.  Bosh is an ok defender, but can he guard Duncan, Dirk, Griffin, Aldridge, etc out west every night?  Not likely.

The idea is that he doesn't have be a showdown defender, just cover enough so Howard can protect the rim.

The article about the 96 offseason was great, it would've made Twitter and RGM unbearable, somehow more so than they are now. I never knew about the Horace Grant/Brian Shaw deals with Orlando. Hopefully Pat Riley sent Stern a fruit basket every year of Juwan's deal for voiding it. Weird how Juwan ended up here and winning nearly 15 years later.

I put the over/under on Utah matching at 18 hours. . . .

They should make the Hornets sweat a bit.

Wonder if Parsons, Bledsoe or Monroe will get offer sheets and will their teams match if its in that similar range. 

1996.  Year one of the two year "How the West became the dominant conference" story.

(Year two is, of course, the following year, with San Antonio winning the lottery, and the Bulls breaking up at the end of the season.)

I don't know what it would take for me to start rooting for the Knicks again (it would take a lot) but I can assure you re-signing Melo is the very bottom of that list.

• Like 1

I can see that actually. . . .

Me too. It's not the craziest idea I've heard.  Carmelo is obviously a better scorer.  But at this point in their careers, Melo is also a better rebounder.  And when compelled, he plays defense.  Would LeBron rather play with a guy bringing 16/4 who can disappear during games, or a guy offering 29/8 who's much more consistent?  Melo takes scoring/rebounding pressure off LBJ, and allows LeBron to take on more point guard duties--allowing him become more like Magic Johnson than ever.  Which I think LeBron would enjoy.

All it takes is nudging Bosh toward Houston.