DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

I've got nothing against Gasol, but the only way I see him fitting is him taking Carlos Boozer's role from last year. And I'm done with that kind of scheme.

We've also contacted Paul Pierce, which I'm not against at all coming off the bench.

Latest on Gasol...seconds later...

Ramona Shelburne @ramonashelburne 

In a surprising twist, OKC has come on strong with Pau Gasol, and described as a "frontrunner" for the Spaniard.

Pau would be a big upgrade over Perk.

The one negative I could say about Pau is that his last couple of playoff performances were very underwhelming.

As far as Bulls with Pau. I like Pau, but that doesn't seem like a big need for the Bulls. He still thinks of himself as a starter who deserves starter minutes. He's a pro so you won't hear him complain about playing time, but it would probably eat at him.

Wonder if the Lakers called Greg Monroe's agent. I know they called practically everyone since they do have tons of cap room and only have 6 players.

Who is the oldest guy available in free agency not already on the Mavericks? That is who the Mavs will pick up. I am thinking Chauncey Billups. 

Please.....it's Paul Pierce :(

With Fisher moving on, the next oldest free agent is actually Mike James.  If you disqualify him for being only a season removed from starting 23 games as a Maverick, the next guy up is Ray Allen.  Billups, Antawn Jamison, and Nazr Mohammed are also older than Pierce.

I think we need Fowler's reaction to this Zach Lowe tidbit:

Reading between the lines, a sign-and-trade involving Thomas and Josh Smith may be in the works, and multiple sources say Monroe’s camp has made it known Monroe will sign the one-year qualifying offer if Smith remains on the roster. Monroe’s camp denies that, and that kind of empty threat is not atypical from top restricted free agents. It’s really their only form of leverage.

Monroe has no leverage, as mentioned.  Unless Detroit specifically decides to move on from him, he'll be in Detroit next year.  I mean, if the Lakers throw him a max offer or something, Detroit might let him go, but barring that, he'll probably be back.

Thing is, when you bring him back, you really need to dump Smith.  And that's the least scary "Is(a)iah Thomas to Detroit" rumor I've seen in years. 

Thomas/Jennings/Singler/Monroe/DRUMMOND isn't the starting line-up of a contender but Good God Almighty does it beat last year's squad.  I wish he had a better three-point shot (And I really wish his 3pt% hadn't declined each year) and I don't know how the fuck that team defends on the wings (not like Jodie Meeks solves that problem either...) but God God Almighty is it better than last year's squad.

Also, you'll get to hear the story about how he was named after Zeke because of the Finals bet from the other team's announce crew 82 times a year.

Also, although I totally get it from a basketball perspective, the Pistons not picking up Chauncey's option makes me sad.  He really deserved to retire as a Piston from his first run [don't get me started on that trade grrr....] and now they are punting on a second chance at it.  I think Joe wanted to make it right with him, but now that Joe is gone, and it's not the same owner as the title team, and Stan being an outsider to the organization, there's nobody left that would have loyalty to him.  I think Dumars would have hired him on in the front office after next year as well.

All that said, he didn't have much left last year.  Hasn't played more than 22 games in a season in a few years, only played 19 last year.

If Pau Gasol goes to the Spurs, they'll repeat. He's still really good offensively and the Spurs can cover up his weak defense and Pop can rest him because Pau's eventually going to miss a few games due to some leg injury.

Riley may need to go all in for VC, Jameer, and Okafor.

These rumors are unbearable. Absolutely torturous. Everything that is reported by someone is grossly contradicted by someone else who is then grossly contradicted by someone else. Twitter and RGM have been ridiculous since FA started and they're only getting more and more absurd. I don't think it was nearly this bad in 2010.

These rumors are unbearable. Absolutely torturous. Everything that is reported by someone is grossly contradicted by someone else who is then grossly contradicted by someone else. Twitter and RGM have been ridiculous since FA started and they're only getting more and more absurd. I don't think it was nearly this bad in 2010.

Blame the lockout.  Shorter contracts means more cap room all around the league.  Plus the expectation that the cap is going to skyrocket the next three years.

SuperStars being underpaid and lower level players being overpaid is becoming more and more true this offseason.

This is so interesting to me. I remember when the CBA was signed everyone freaked saying it was going to crush the NBA's middle class, the superstars were going to take all the money and the rest had to fight for the scraps. In the end it turned out to be the greatest thing that has ever happened to it because they're all making out like bandits.

Blame the lockout.  Shorter contracts means more cap room all around the league.  Plus the expectation that the cap is going to skyrocket the next three years.

I really miss the days when a team like Washington was stuck with Juwan, Richmond, and Strickland making a combined contract total of $150 million dollars.

• Like 1

It's simultaneously way too much yet, after seeing what others got, a little too low. I'm surprised he didn't hold out for the 5th year he allegedly coveted. Regardless of what Miami fields next year I'm OK with them not getting Lowry at that price.

edit: Le Batard says that Miami never had contact with Lowry.

ESPN New York said today the Knicks were prepping to give Melo the super max.  Which I think is somewhere around 5/129

Also Stephenson is being offered 5/44 by the Pacers.  He's told them to go fuck themselves with that.