DVDVR Message Board

Line up the opponents for Austin

I came up with kind of a dream match a little while ago, and haven't been able to stop thinking about how awesome it would have been had we got to see it. The match in question is Steve Austin, at the height of his anti-authority run, versus 1993-era Matt Borne as heel Doink. The premise for the match is that Mr. McMahon, frustrated after constantly being thwarted by Austin, vows to bring in a wrestler who truly captures his vision of pro-wrestling. It's heavily implied that we're going to get some kind of corporate champion, but it ends up being Doink, because what sums up Vince's vision of pro wrestling better than a clown, right? Austin and Borne were so good, such great characters, and so diametrically opposed, that I think they could have done some great stuff together, and it would have made for a great visual seeing them square up. I imagined on the last Raw or whatever before their big match, after weeks of getting attacked by Doink, Austin comes out and vows that tonight he's going to stunner the clown. They play this up big on commentary throughout the night, but Vince comes out and says that Austin can't stunner the clown, because Doink isn't in the building. Cue Austin coming out, fighting off Vince's minions, and then giving Vince a stunner and claiming "I told you I was going to stunner the clown tonight, and you are, without a doubt, the single biggest clown in the WWF". Then Doink comes through the crowd and lays Austin out with his unicycle or something. Man, that would have been a great feud.

Anyway, really I just wanted to share the idea, but to turn it into a topic of discussion, who (and bear in mind you can have anyone from the history of wrestling) do you think would have made a great Austin opponent during the Attitude Era? The more creative and left-field the suggestions, the better.

• Like 2

A cross between the 80's All American Boy Bob Backlund and the 90s crazy Mr. Backlund.  

1. He would do promos in his 80s style, talking about setting a good example and working with children.

2. He would still reference beating Bret, while Bret beat Austin into unconsciousness.

I know they worked each other a couple of times on TV, but a program between Austin and William Regal would have been awesome, especially the Raw GM / King era Regal when he was briefly treated as a main event threat and was also having way better matches in that time frame than he did in, say, 2001. The promos alone would have been epic, but their styles would have meshed fantastically. By that token, Finlay and Dave Taylor as Regal lackeys would have made for some epic TV matches to build up to the inevitable PPV clashes with Regal.

Modern day John Cena vs. Steve Austin at his peak would be an amazing matchup- on either side. All the drawing power of Cena vs. Rock, only the matchup is even more electric (instead of efed-level petty sniping and derailing the show to get to the endgame of Cena/Rock, a matchup of Cena/Austin, two big top stars, two clear heroes of the time period- but both guys are such polar opposites of each other that they can't possibly co-exist and each guy would assume the other one's as bad as the bad guys...?) 

Hmmm. Big Poppa Pump Scott Steiner? "Franchise" Shane Douglas? Those promos would've been pretty fantastic. 

Steve Austin chasing "Hollywood" Hogan with Hogan using the nWo as a human shield against the lunatic Austin would've been like the Goldberg feud, but better, because Austin could've delivered main event level matched every week...

if Warrior takes the contract offer from Vince in late 1997, then the Ultimate Warrior as the Corporate Champion would be hilarious, considering the real life history between Warrior and Vince

I honestly cannot imagine Warrior in the Attitude Era. THAT would've been interesting.

well Brody would have been in this 50s by that time, so that'd be like talking about Dick Murdoch surviving to 1998 and facing Austin on RAW

Oh yeah, I agree it was a long shot, that's why I said "I wonder if". But Flair and 'Taker did it.

How about Steve Austin vs. in his prime Nick Bockwinkel? Bock was charismatic, intelligent and handsome. He exuded upper class credibility and charm. He would've been the PERFECT corporate champion for Vince and a great contrast to Austin's blue collar redneck style.