DVDVR Message Board

Evans retiring is quite a loss I feel. Interesting point in this article:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Chris-Evans-Retiring-Why-Other-Actors-Might-Follow-Suit-42251.html

Really being in the Marvel movies (or other majorish franchises) doesn't help people like it used to. Exception obviously being RDJ.

I'm not sure about this, but did it ever help?  With the (big) exception of Harrison Ford, Star Wars didn't make any stars.  I'm not even sure the prequels made anybody bigger stars than they already were.  In Ewen McGregor's case, maybe smaller.

Evans retiring is quite a loss I feel. Interesting point in this article:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Chris-Evans-Retiring-Why-Other-Actors-Might-Follow-Suit-42251.html

Really being in the Marvel movies (or other majorish franchises) doesn't help people like it used to. Exception obviously being RDJ.

I'm not sure about this, but did it ever help?  With the (big) exception of Harrison Ford, Star Wars didn't make any stars.  I'm not even sure the prequels made anybody bigger stars than they already were.  In Ewen McGregor's case, maybe smaller.

It didn't make celebrities, That might be a difference. Fisher and Hammill had long steady work, just not on camera. Hell, most of Fisher's money came from stuff she isn't even credited for.

Alright some spoiler-free thoughts:

- Definitely enjoyed the story. Has some nice twists which you wouldn't expect in a Marvel movie.

- Black Widow does Black Widowishy stuff. Which is cool.

- Falcon is a surprisingly more useful character than I expected.

- Whenever Winter Soldier shows up you know shit is about to go down. The people in audience reacted to pretty much everything. Plenty of badassery.

- The action. Anyone was has seen the leaked first ten minutes knows what I mean. The movie is pretty much like that.

- The comedy wasn't as cringe worthy as Thor 2. 

As with pretty much every other Marvel movie there is a post-credit scene.

• Like 1

I watched Captain America: The Winter Soldier Friday night. You’ll be aware that since the subtitle to this film was revealed at San Diego Comic-Con 2012, it’s the film I looked most forward to mainly because of the source material but also for Captain America: The First Avenger and Avengers Assemble. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is great. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is easily the best Marvel Studios Phase Two film and one of Marvel Studios best films in the top tier with Avengers Assemble and Iron Man.

The film is a spy thriller mixed with a comic book film, I got a Jason Bourne feeling which as a big fan of that trilogy, played well with me. The film addresses themes of security with those in power, how far is too far etc. There’s great action in this film, might well be the best in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Only Avengers Assemble rivals it.

SPOILER thoughts:

The fallout with S.H.I.E.L.D. and HYDRA’s infiltration of it should have an impact with Avengers: Age of Ultron, later films and TV’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

There was gasps at the screening when the Winter Soldier loses his face cover having had to previously take off his glasses and you see its James “Bucky” Barnes.

Great action as previously noted from the way Captain America fights, the tanker sequence, Nick Fury trying to get away from assailants/Winter Soldier, the elevator fight and the two Captain America vs. Winter Soldier fights. Those two fights are some of the best from the MCU. It’s the most violent film from it.

Good and moving seeing Hayley Atwell return as Peggy Carter, now as an elderly lady. I also liked Toby Jones’s return as Amin Zola.

This is the third Marvel Studios film when someone comes back from death (Agent Phil Coulson in Avengers Assemble, Loki in Thor: The Dark World and Nick Fury in Captain America: The Winter Soldier).You could also add Bucky Barnes supposed death in Captain America: The First Avenger.

While I enjoyed the mid-credits scene with Baron von Strucker/Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch, I don’t know much about the characters. I preferred the post-credits scene as Bucky Barnes visits the Smithsonian Institution to learn more about who he is. I’ve liked the character since I read the second part of Captain America: Winter Soldier and other Ed Brubaker books. For that reason, I'd have liked more Winter Soldier scenes.

With the first two quality Captain America entries, I’m hoping the third will keep the form up. I want it to feature the return of the Winter Soldier and Falcon. Falcon was my biggest surprise character wise.

My provisional Marvel Studios film rankings:

1. Avengers Assemble (2012)

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

3. Iron Man (2008)

4. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

5. Thor (2011)

6. Thor: The Dark World (2013)

7. Iron Man 3 (2013)

8. Iron Man 2 (2010)

9. The Incredible Hulk (2008)

I say provisional because I’m not sure about the order of the top three. I’ve watched Avengers Assemble and Iron Man a lot more compared to Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I look forward to Captain America: The Winter Soldier’s DVD release so I can see what a second viewing does.

I look forward to getting your reactions to the film.

• Like 2

I liked the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer on release and its even better seeing it in 3D and hearing it in the cinema. We also got trailers for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 which looked better on the big screen, Divergent and Godzilla.

1. Avengers Assemble (2012)

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

3. Iron Man (2008)

4. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

5. Thor (2011)

6. Thor: The Dark World (2013)

7. Iron Man 3 (2013)

8. Iron Man 2 (2010)

9. The Incredible Hulk (2008)

List time already is it? ok lets see. There is bound to be some slight movement depending on what i watched recently and some of the older ones may need re-watching now, 9 films in 6 years is a hell of a run, so off the top of my head:

1. Avengers Assemble

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

3. Iron Man

4. Thor: The Dark World

5. Thor

6. The Incredible Hulk

7. Iron Man 2

8. Captain America: The First Avenger

9. Iron Man 3

Captain America and Avengers: Age of Ultron.

33p3cpg.jpg

PdLUxKh.png

ZqmkNsK.png

dVok9W6.png

A mixture between the slightly modified Captain America: The First Avenger suit in Captain America: The Winter Soldier and the Super-Soldier suit in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I like this one as those suits are great. Looks better than the Avengers Assemble one. There's the Avengers logo on the shoulder!

LOKI_approves.gif

• Like 1