DVDVR Message Board

Easter eggs in Cap 2, please tell me if I missed any:

Stephen Strange reference!

I also imagine there were more when Sitwell was talking fast listing threat to Hydra AND when the Hellacarriers were targeting people. I saw Tony Stark being one. Any more that you guys caught?

My head hurts, probably from the 3D glasses. I didn't notice anything in 3D throughout the movie. 

It was really good. Not Dark Knight good (let's not get crazy) but probably Marvel's second or third best. Winter Soldier was cool and I liked his little theme song, seemed Joker inspired. I want to see more political intrigue and backstabbing but I guess Captain America has to help Iron Man fight a robot first.

One thing I didn't like...

The cheesy as hell Arnim Zola evil supercomputer.

• Like 1

Agreed, kind of cheesy and pretty much threw everyone off in the theater, because the build up so far was excellent. Couple of chuckles here and there.

I wish they would've just left it as a Wargames type of computer, kind of like how Black Widow referenced it. The binary face was too much.

I haven't seen the film, but that's sort of what he is these days last I checked. Computerized thing with goofy digital face.

Cap: Winte Soldier is AWESOME as it was just as much a SHIELD movie as it was a Cap movie (Hell it was pretty much lifting its story from Harras' underappreciated "Nick Fury v. SHIELD" series). I feel like someone read a whole bunch of Sternako SHIELD stories and put it on film and added Cap to the mix. I loved how they worked in Zola and even wrapped loose ends from Iron Man 2.

A good time at the movies! and it easily my favorite Marvel movie now

James

• Like 1

Easter eggs in Cap 2, please tell me if I missed any:

Stephen Strange reference!

I also imagine there were more when Sitwell was talking fast listing threat to Hydra AND when the Hellacarriers were targeting people. I saw Tony Stark being one. Any more that you guys caught?

Wasn't Bruce Banner named as a threat? We got the first name of the President in Iron Man 3.

Ed Brubaker as one of the scientists with the Winter Soldier. Brubaker created the story in the comics.

The Samuel L. Jackson Pulp Fiction reference I mentioned earlier.

My head hurts, probably from the 3D glasses. I didn't notice anything in 3D throughout the movie. 

It was really good. Not Dark Knight good (let's not get crazy) but probably Marvel's second or third best. Winter Soldier was cool and I liked his little theme song, seemed Joker inspired. I want to see more political intrigue and backstabbing but I guess Captain America has to help Iron Man fight a robot first.

One thing I didn't like...

The cheesy as hell Arnim Zola evil supercomputer.

I was surprised at the Arnim Zola as a evil supercomputer with what we had previous to it.

If I could make changes:

I'd have liked more Winter Soldier and seen more of his past acts. Main difference between the comic and film version is who controls the Winter Soldier.

Marvel Studios having a death and reversing it.

I miss Alan Silvestri's main Captain America and Star Spangled Man songs from Captain America: The First Avenger. I'd have included them.

I'm already waiting for the DVD release so I can see Captain America: The Winter Soldier a second time. Glad you're all liking it.

---

I liked the first half of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pre mid-season break more than most here. I read posts saying the second half was much better. In the UK, we’re three episodes into it with the fourth tonight and I’d agree with that assessment. I particularly enjoyed The Magical Place and T.R.A.C.K.S., which was last week’s episode. I liked how in that episode it told the perspective of Coulson/May/Ward/Fitz/Simmons/Skye.

• Like 1

Great look at Captain America's new duds for Avengers: Age of Ultron...

2glf.png

ookm.jpg

6v0e.jpg

6z9i.jpg

1c4k.jpg

kryl.jpg

jzul.png

I really like it. It's a mixture of the slightly modified Captain America: The First Avenger suit in Captain America: The Winter Soldier and the Super-Soldier suit in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I prefer the shorter gloves on the Super-Soldier costume to the longer ones on this one.

My opinion might change in time with the above but this is the best Captain America suit:

rsZvAS4.jpg?1

My next favourite Cap suit is the Super-Soldier costume. Not far behind the above.

p4hr.jpg

The Cap suit in Avengers Assemble was the worst particularly the helmet and the suit making Chris Evans look small. Everything else I liked...ah, change the belt colour to brown!

Avengers%20setnewfull8.jpeg

So we’ve seen Iron Man and Captain America’s new looks for Avengers: Age of Ultron, I await Thor’s now.

I think that the fight scenes are sometimes Jason Bourne-level hyper-kinetic where it's a lot of quick cuts. That's pretty much the Hollywood standard these days, but I'm not sure how well that would translate into 3D.

Anyway, some expanded thoughts about the movie:

- If it was done well, I would go see a Falcon movie. As it is, I'll settle for him appearing in another Marvel movie. I've always liked Anthony Mackie since I first saw him in 8 Mile. He has a lot of charisma and is a good actor. Here's to hoping for bigger and better things for him.

- I also really wanted to see more of the Winter Soldier. They did an excellent job of making him seem larger than life. The only problem with him going forward is that if he ever becomes a good guy, I don't even see how that would be possible since he murders so many fucking people. The entire action sequence on the highway is bananas. So many random, innocent drivers/bystanders had to have been gunned down. 

- That's actually my biggest problem with the film is that a fuckton of people are just straight-up murdered. Back to the highway scene, if you think about it, there's just a massive amount of folks bleeding to death from bullet wounds. You never hear about any of that shit though, for the rest of the movie. Cap doesn't even blink an eye. People give Man of Steel a whole lot of pointless shit because of the damage done to already evacuated buildings in Supes' fight with Zod, but Goddamn, Cap could have orchestrated a better way to prevent the deaths of countless civilians. It also isn't even that scene. People are dying left and right from about 5 minutes into the movie. I'm normally not that bothered by the body count in movies, but it was pretty dramatic in this.

-  That complaint aside, I thought it was an awesome movie. The stakes in this felt as high as they were for the Avengers. The setup for Age of Ultron is interesting too, what with the bit in the middle of the credits. I'm still wondering how we finally get to Thanos, or how Ultron even becomes a reality, especially with the direction the end of the movie went in.

• Like 1

- That's actually my biggest problem with the film is that a fuckton of people are just straight-up murdered. Back to the highway scene, if you think about it, there's just a massive amount of folks bleeding to death from bullet wounds. You never hear about any of that shit though, for the rest of the movie. Cap doesn't even blink an eye. People give Man of Steel a whole lot of pointless shit because of the damage done to already evacuated buildings in Supes' fight with Zod, but Goddamn, Cap could have orchestrated a better way to prevent the deaths of countless civilians. It also isn't even that scene. People are dying left and right from about 5 minutes into the movie. I'm normally not that bothered by the body count in movies, but it was pretty dramatic in this.

Maybe you weren't listening Craig, but Cap clearly said "The price of freedom is high!" ;)

• Like 1

Theory for Cap 3:

I'm thinking they basically make it a Secret Avengers movie with Cap, Falcon, Winter Soldier, Black Widow, Nick Fury, and maybe Hawkeye and Maria Hill as the team.

I like that. Hopefully Captain America 3 carries on the form in Captain America: The First Avenger and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Saw this last night. Dug it. Also, make sure you stay for all the post-credit scenes. 

REALLY liked the introduction of the Falcon. Dug Black Widow's story arc, and the reveal of

Maria Hill

got the same reaction as when Gordon shows up in the Dark Knight. I thought the Nick Fury stuff felt a little farfetched, but the big Winter Soldier reveal got several audible gasps from the theatre I was in, including my wife. Would highly recommend.

I liked it, and it should put an end to the "Cap is a conservative wet dream" nonsense.

listamania!

1. Captain America

2. Iron Man 3

3. Thor 2

4. Winter Soldier

5. Iron Man

6. Avengers

7. Thor

8. Iron Man 2

9. Incredible Hulk