DVDVR Message Board

Arthur Staple @StapeNewsday 1m

BREAKING NEWS: Charles Wang has agreed to sell the #Isles to John Ledecky, former co-owner of the Capitals, and investor Scott Malkin.

Staple is one of the souls assigned to cover the Islanders so I guess he should know.

Honestly happy for their fans if true. Wang is such a wang.

The IslanderMania board is now a pants-free zone for the forseeable future. But as much as a batshit crazy lunatic that Wang is, it really must be said that without him the Islanders would no longer exist. He very easily could've moved the team to Quebec or Seattle but he fought and made sure they would stay in the area. In a way, he is very much like Tom Gollisano: many in Buffalo were angry with him for penny pinching but it can't be denied that he saved hockey in WNY.

Wang had that huge TV deal.  That was the real reason he stayed on Long Island.

They get $27 million per year and it lasts until 30-31.  It is a 30 year deal.

He would never get that type of local money anywhere in the US.

There is some truth to that, but the team was still bleeding money even with that deal. Without that you are right that the team probably moves but Wang still gets credit because he was still losing a ton of money In a building that was obsolete (to put It mildly). IIRC the guy who negotiated that deal was Spano, so ironically he played a significant role in the team staying.

Remember this?

872366497965880135.gif

Back when this ran, the NHL sent a letter to FOX and the Simpsons threatening them for using the Stanley Cup in a disparaging way.

FOX and the producers filed it appropriately. 

I love hockey to death but some hockey people are so weird.

The idea a 34 team top division is a workable idea is beyond preposterous. If the league had any nuts they'd beat the NHLPA with a stick and be contracting a couple teams to get rid of 50 fourth line nobodies.

• Like 1

Also, it's Tony Gallagher. Hold off on the outrage until somebody with actual credentials supports this stuff.

Fully agree with DFA. The league's talent pool is pretty weak, the last thing we need is the addition of four teams. A team in Seattle and a team in QC would be bad ass but moving some of the shittier franchises would be the fan favourite option - never going to happen with the corporate bull shit, though. Florida (no offense mco and company) only has a team because of that arena.

The article is bogus.  

The real story is the coming realignment in the AHL which will see ECHL franchises swapped with the AHL once the ECHL-CHL merger is complete.  The AHL will finally have a true Western Conference when all is said and done and teams like Arizona will have an AHL affiliate much closer than Portland, Maine.

In short, here is what is happening.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/8/7/5976075/ahl-west-echl-chl-realignment-minor-league-hockey

Yeah its a dopey article.  Type of shit Steve Simmons and Damian Cox in Toronto write to get some attention.  If the NHL didnt go to Las Vegas when Jerry Bruckheimer wanted to put a team there I doubt anything now would be a done deal.  Realistically the NHL will expand by 2 teams.  Probably Quebec and Toronto area if another building goes up because they can charge a mint for those franchises but the press will be on to move somebody into Seattle and another location out west.  Thats why Las Vegas keeps getting talked about.  There are few wet coast cities that you can see a franchise locating too.  

The SBNation article about minor league re-alignment is just the writers take on what should happen, not what actually is going to happen.

It is closer to reality than expansion.  The California teams are pulling prospects back to play closer to home and there is a real movement to get the AHL franchises more aligned with the NHL clubs.  It is a pain to have a team like Arizona affiliated with Portland, Maine.  The closer to home an AHL affiliate is located the more control the club gets over development.  Assistant GM's, who run the AHL clubs, don't have to travel as much to keep up on the goings on at the AHL level and the big club.

Here is another article regarding the Kings.

http://mayorsmanor.com/2014/04/major-news-kings-preparing-to-move-top-prospects-to-socal/

Realistically, I can see Quebec City getting a team when their arena opens via expansion or movement but the they will add a couple of Western clubs down the road.  Portland was the secret club involved in the Arizona negotiations.  Seattle is nowhere close to getting a team; that is just a pipe dream from some 20something writers.  

Here was Bettman's comment about Seattle in June:

''Seattle seems to have the most number of people interested,'' Bettman said in June. ''The fact is there's no building that's on the horizon. The person who controls the rights to build a building in Seattle is intent upon having an NBA team before he builds a building. Based on what's happened to date, and the fact that his partner has now bought a different franchise, I don't know that there's any prospect of a building in Seattle. It's nice that there's interest, but there's really not a whole lot for us to do with it.''

If they expand anywhere it will be to locations that have buildings available.  That cuts the short list down to Portland, Quebec City, Kansas City, Houston, and San Antonio.

I don't think anyone needs to be concerned with the thoughts and opinions of the Arizona Coyotes. Poor, poor City of Glendale for building them that arena.

The IHL went tits up years ago becuase the western cities were too far away from the midwestern cities (Winnipeg, Chicago, Milwaukee, Houston) to not lose a shitton of money on travel. Unless the new western section of the AHL never has to play east coast teams, I don't see how they avoid the same fate.

More money is being made by the league which means more money for development.  NHL teams, in some cases, own their AHL affiliates giving them more control over operations and expenses.  Having a team 50 or 100 miles away means you can get cost savings from front office areas like Marketing and Administration by having one department rather than two.  Twenty years ago that did not happen for the most part.  

The more west coast teams you have the more you can work schedules to be like the NHL with long road trips across the coast to save money.  Chances are west coast teams will play fewer east coast teams when the realignment happens.

But it is mainly about development.  Teams want prospects closer to home so that the GM's, scouts, and coaches can work closely with the players.  If you need to call someone up it is easier to have them drive 50 or 100 miles down the highway rather than fly from Maine to Arizona.  

This is how MLB works.  Teams tend to keep the AAA franchises close to home to that they have more control over development and call ups.

I know people have this aversion to warm weather franchises getting teams but they really need to get over it.  The Kings are doing quite well for a warm weather team.  Same for other warm weather franchises.  I hear short-sighted arguments all the time from people crying about teams in Dallas, LA, Nashville, Anaheim, Tampa, Arizona, and Florida.  Without the large TV footprint and the increased interest in the game it would not be in the shape it is in today.  If you pulled all of the teams out of the warm weather cities the NHL would be on track with Arena Football.  There would be no large national US TV contract which means less money from the Canadian TV contract.  

I don't think anyone needs to be concerned with the thoughts and opinions of the Arizona Coyotes. Poor, poor City of Glendale for building them that arena.

The IHL went tits up years ago becuase the western cities were too far away from the midwestern cities (Winnipeg, Chicago, Milwaukee, Houston) to not lose a shitton of money on travel. Unless the new western section of the AHL never has to play east coast teams, I don't see how they avoid the same fate.

I thought the IHL failed because they over expanded and wanted to have more independent teams (like Wolves and Vipers).

I covered the Ice for a couple years while at IU and tou could def feel a shift in the league in 92-93.

Arizona was owned by the league because nobody wanted to own that mess, that's what people complain about. Florida plays in front of so many empty seats most nights it's a joke. The rest of those franchises are fine, and if you hear people complaining about LA having a team, it's because you want to hear that complaint.

There isn't a large US National television contract. There IS a large Canadian television contact. Maybe one of these years they will cater the playoff schedule to the Canadian broadcaster's needs, instead of playing afternoon games during the conference finals because NBC wants to air a Best of Adam Sandler on SNL re-run during prime time on Saturday nights.

• Like 1