DVDVR Message Board

This seems like pretty bad thinking on Sbotka's part. He's going to make slightly more money short term to play in fucking Siberia instead of on a Stanley Cup contender and he's still going to have to deal with being an RFA now if he ever wants to come back over.

John Shorthouse was clearly intoxicated at the Canucks season ticket holder event yesterday.

BsE4bObCIAA8rC6.jpg

Cannot stop laughing at this.

I actually think John Shorthouse is a really, really good commentator (Growing up an Oilers fan in BC, I am an avowed Canuck Disliker and can't stand Jim Hughson because I feel like he can't really be unbiased when calling his beloved 'Nucks) and I thought for sure Sportsnet might come calling for him to do national broadcasts when they took over.  I like that he seems to try to be fair and unbiased, and I also think he has a decent chemistry with John Garrett, even though the latter annoys me to pieces.

Great pic though.

Garrett's flat out public masturbation about the Canucks is kind of endearing to me. Like, he's just so damn honest and happy about it at least. I can't even hold it against him.

Like Darren Pang and the Blues. When a man is in love what can you do.

I don't really think Hughson was all that biased when he regularly called the Canucks.  What happened was that he got stuck doing Leafs games most of time and the Leafs stunk so dummy Leafs fans would claim that he was biased against the Leafs.  Then like every few months he'd get to do a Canucks game and get all excited. 

• Like 1

Not really a fan of Shorthouse, as he strikes me as a similar guy as Gord Miller, unquestioning company men that subtly push narratives their bosses want pushed. He's way better at it than clumsy Miller is, but there's something about him that seems fake and I dislike it. I know pretty much 99% of pbp announcers are company men these days but at least Hughson was genuine with his bias (and unabashed). I suppose the fact that I feel this way about Shorty makes me enjoy the picture all the more. "So, that's what he's really like!"

Am I the only one who thinks Hughson's quality of calls has dropped since moving to CBC? Just seems like he's forcing it more than he used to on the regional broadcasts.

I still like Hughson a lot and think he takes a seriously undue amount of shit. A lot of Oilers fans can't stand him because he's a Luongo fan. But half of those people laugh at all of Strombone's twitter jokes, so fuck off. Luongo is kind of a likeable guy.

• Like 1

Mike Ribiero ends up in Nashville for pro sports peanuts on a one year deal. Clearly a low risk high reward play for the Preds, even if I can't stand the guy. But he does address a serious need they have if he can keep his head where it needs to be.

I'm with those who say this is a step in the right direction for the team. They've spent a few years seeking "grit" and "leadership"* and basically collecting third liners, this appears to be part of a move away from that.

(*I'm not saying these things don't exist but maybe some fucking help for Kessel should be a thing?)

Booth isn't bad. He was just getting back to form at the tail end of the last season after a string of terrible injuries (mostly coming from him training like a mad man). He's got poor vision, can't pass, and doesn't have a great shot but he will always put his head down and take the puck to the net. I would like to see some of his play from his Florida days when he was highly regarded as a player being held back by his situation and compare it to some of his Van play.

So, this NHL going to Sportsnet thing is going to be just DREADFUL right?

-You've got their lead insider Damien Cox who proved his insider credentials by breaking absolutely NO news over the summer, being scooped again and again by the TSN guys (They do have Elliotte Friedman whom I'd say is a solid #3 tied with LeBrun behind Dreger and McKenzie, but they aren't treating him like an Insider, more like a studio guy and actually named Cox as LEAD INSIDER).  Cox is baaaaad.

-You've got Jeff Marek and Gare Joyce as their draft guys.  Marek I have no problems with.  Joyce wrote a great book about the draft ('Future Greats and Heartbreaks') but his draft knowledge is highly opinionated and flat-out wrong.  After the Sportsnet Rankings came out (And were just hated by people for their interesting design and weird rankings.  I didn't mind those two, what I criticized where the write-ups which were almost all negative about said player with no mention of his stregths) and they had Nick Ritchie at #3, a lot of people were mocking it which lead to Joyce to take to Twitter and say he'd talked to a number of scouts who agreed with him and he thought Ritchie could well go number 1 and people would see he was right when he went Top 4...he dropped to 10th. He also talked about how Haydn Fleury was not a Top 10 player (Ranked him 17th which was way lower than anyone else) and how he would drop come draft day, then he went 7th.  Now he's criticizing the Leafs hire of Kyle Dubas as Assistant GM because...he's young and his teams haven't won the Memorial Cup basically.

-You've got Paul Romanuik as announcer, which I have no problems with.  But since the Romanuk announcement I started following him on Twitter and I think this is going to be a short marriage.  You see Romanuk is a very opinionated dude, which is fine when dealing with hockey.  But giant corporations do not generally look favourably upon on-air personalities who post opinions on politics, such as the Russia-Ukraine stuff, criticisms of the US government and posting pics of dead children killed in the Isarael/Hamas  conflict.  I'm not saying he shouldn't have an opinion, but I don't think Rogers is going to be thrilled with him posting his opinions online.

I kind of think this whole thing is going to be a colossal disaster.

• Like 1