DVDVR Message Board

Watching the legendary Flyers-Islanders Game 6 of the 1980 cup final. My God is this awesome, makes the modern NHL look so lame in comparison. It's like going from watching Bill Watts Mid South to watching Raw.

And a question for you guys: anyone know the cheapest way to get from NYC toTD Bank Garden (Boston) or Verizon Center (DC) via public transportation? Toying of the idea of seeing the Sabres when they visit those venues but would want to come back same day.

DC metro stops right under the verizon/mci center.

DYK if the Hound stop in DC is nearby (know the arena is in Chinatown)? Assuming worst case its near a Metro station.

Has tickets for the Winter Classic always been in the $500 and above range?  Not sure when they are selling tickets to the public but not encouraging to say the very least   :(

For the premium seats yes. Games in Philly and NY started at $89, but they hold those back. Next cheapest is $119, and if you are willing to pay you will almost surely be able to get one of those. If you want an idea how insane prices can lead to tickets being available a friend of mine got a ticket to the Cup finals for Bruins and Devils day of the game at the window (paid north of $200 each).

51ssVynkjYL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-4

New book out for sabremike to get excited over.  Howard Baldwin was on the radio talking about the book and the first meetings between the WHA and NHl about a merger in 1977 and he was being scolded for not wearing socks to the meeting when all of a sudden a door opens up in the hotel suite they were having the meeting in and NHL President Clarence Campbell walks out butt naked, said hello to everyone and walked away.

• Like 1

51ssVynkjYL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-4

New book out for sabremike to get excited over.  Howard Baldwin was on the radio talking about the book and the first meetings between the WHA and NHl about a merger in 1977 and he was being scolded for not wearing socks to the meeting when all of a sudden a door opens up in the hotel suite they were having the meeting in and NHL President Clarence Campbell walks out butt naked, said hello to everyone and walked away.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! Will go well next to my copy of Jack Lautier's Whaler Encyclopedia. Need to tell the guy who runs the FHLs Danbury Whalers to set up a book signing at a game.

Just finished the book "Dynasty: the oral history of the NY Islanders 1972-1984" by Greg Prato. Great book, highly recommend. Learned a lot about the team and era. Anyone know of any other team history books worth checking out?

Read any book you can find on Harold Ballard to find out what a pain in the ass he was

Still remember the Current Affair piece on him. He made Charles Wang look sane in comparison, which is amazing. Between him, Jeremy Jacobs and old man Wirtz there was quite a contest over which NHL owner was the biggest asshole back then.

Flyers-Devils tonight was the very definition of Shit vs Crap. Devils seemingly were on the power play half the game and only managed to score 3 times (and Scott Gomez of all people got 2 of them) Flyers were going through the motions all night. The only positive was that only about 3,500 witnessed it and game wasn't televised. Hope tomorrow's game at MSG is much better, because tonight was only padding the totals.

Oilers played like shit tonight against Chicago and I feel good about where my twitter feed is at because the 200 Oilers fans I follow talked about other Oilers fans overreacting and none of them were stinking up my feed. So I've got my shit together and I feel good.

Seems almost certain that Draisaitl will be the second line centre right now. So hopefully he's, you know, the second coming of Jason Arnott and I'll be very happy.

Blues note of relevance going into the year.

-There has been a big competition for our last couple forward spots. Locks are Backes, Tarasenko, Steen, Stastny, Schwartz, Oshie, Lehtera, Berglund, Ott, Lapierre, and Reaves. That leaves Joakim Lindstrom, Dmitri Jaskin, Peter Mueller, Chris Porter, Magnus Paajarvi, and the real dark horse, Robby Fabbri trying to crack the team. Mueller and Jaskin are both on two way contracts, Lindstrom, Porter, and Paajarvi on one ways. Fabbri, though, has completely shaken things up. He isn't supposed to be here. But he's been simply as good as you can want an undersized 18 year old to be at camp, and arguably the Blues best forward in pre-season. He could play himself into a tryout.

Ryan Haggerty abusing Andrew MacDonald and Braydon Cobern for a goal was the highlight tonight at MSG. Went through them like traffic cones. He did the same thing to Zack Stortini, but that's Zack Stortini and not an actual NHL player.

• Like 1