DVDVR Message Board

April 2014 Football Thread

The Natural

I've seen the Turkish video many times, and it still brings a smile to my face. The kick to the knackers is just beautiful.

Hadn't seen the Hulk video though. That's just amazing.

I would just like to go back to Brendan Rogers saying "we were the better team". Dude, you lost 2-0 at home. I don't understand this bullshit about losing a game, not being able to score a goal and blaming the other teams tactics like it's not their job to beat you and make sure you don't score. It's beyond retarded complaining about a team that defended against you. They didn't play your way, boo hoo. Now I'm an arsenal fan, so I'm more than used to teams playing this way against us and I'm not crying about it.

It's time to man-up and accept your tactics weren't good enough, and yes that includes Wenger.

I would just like to go back to Brendan Rogers saying "we were the better team". Dude, you lost 2-0 at home. I don't understand this bullshit about losing a game, not being able to score a goal and blaming the other teams tactics like it's not their job to beat you and make sure you don't score. It's beyond retarded complaining about a team that defended against you. They didn't play your way, boo hoo. Now I'm an arsenal fan, so I'm more than used to teams playing this way against us and I'm not crying about it.

It's time to man-up and accept your tactics weren't good enough, and yes that includes Wenger.

The only reason they even got a sniff at goal was literally because of a slip-up. They weren't even counterattacking. It was fucking disgusting to see a side that expensive in the making and rich in talent just sit there with two banks of 4 at the top of the 18 and two players halfheartedly closing down.

And you should speak, Arsene never complains about the opposition's tactics... Hasn't Mark Henry emerged from the other side of the Atlantic to cut off your oxygen yet?

He said in the second paragraph that Wenger needs to man up. What more would you like him to say?

Boo hoo hoo, the other team played everybody at the back. Score a goal, and make them stop doing it. Stevie G taking 25 yard shots all afternoon to make up for his fuckup is not a great offensive strategy.

Predicted score for tonight: Arsenal 7, Newcastle 1 (Arsenal own goal).

• Like 1

Why'd he wait for Rodgers to moan before saying this? His manager bitches about the opposition every time they drop points.

And I commented yesterday how poorly Liverpool adapted in the second half. Lee Dixon is a jackass but he was spot on about needing to use the wide areas of the pitch far more than they did.

If Chelsea were a dirty foreign non-English club, English people would pee themselves screaming about what a disgrace to European football they are and how they surely must come from a 2-team league (every league other than England being a 2-team league, of course), despite England being the most negative defensive major league in the world year in and year out. (Not so much on this forum which is relatively calm of that sort of stuff, thankfully.)

It's not as if we haven't been down that road a thousand fucking times before. It's not like Manchester United at their peak with Ferguson wasn't about 9 men behind the ball and hit them on the counter every time they played a strong opponent. I don't like Jose's style but adding a tenth man doesn't make him the devil incarnate either.

I just find it miraculous one of their clubs found it in their heart to play attacking football against a club stronger than Swansea for a year. That alone makes me hate Liverpool less.

At least Liverpool or City will win, so either way negative football will not win the day.

For the record, as a Liverpool fan (and a football fan), I have no qualms with a team playing to their strengths. If their strength is packing the box with defenders, then go for it. This is Mourinho's gameplan after all...

In November 2010, Diego Maradona visited Real Madrid’s training ground at Valdebebas. Madrid’s then coach, Jose Mourinho, spent a few minutes chatting with the legend. Their conversation was filmed by Real Madrid TV.

Mourinho explained the principle that had made him so successful: “I score and I win,” Mourinho said. “Sure,” Maradona said.

“And another thing – you score and you don’t know if you win!”

The anecdote appears in a book by Diego Torres: The Special One: The Dark Side of Jose Mourinho , which was published in English translation 10 days ago. Mourinho’s verdict on the book: “The person who wrote that book shouldn’t write books. He should write books for kids using his imagination”.

Another view is The Special One is one of the best managerial character studies in years, and certainly the best book yet written about Jose Mourinho.

Torres, who writes for the Spanish broadsheet El Pais , suggests that “I score and I win, you score and you don’t know if you win,” is the essence of Mourinhoball. If you score first, I might equalise. But if I score first, it’s good night, because I’ll shut down the game and only venture forward to prey on your mistakes.

There’s just one problem.

“If I don’t score? Only then am I forced to attack, but only gradually . . . What if I still don’t score? Then the limits of a model that fits into one slogan have been reached.”

Sometimes as a neutral it can even be fun to watch. There have been some great games where teams have set out solely to defend and the other team has to break them down. If I wasn't a Liverpool fan, yesterday's game probably would've been very entertaining. There are also times where that tactic leads to ridiculously boring games (Chelsea v Atletico Madrid last week) but it's not part of a team's remit to play attractive football. Winning is first and foremost.

Now, having said all that, it is disheartening to see a hugely expensive team like Chelsea play as if they were scrappy underdogs trying to claw their way out of a relegation battle, but my main annoyance with them yesterday was the serial time wasting. It was obvious to anyone watching that game what was going on and yet, the ref didn't produce a card until the last few minutes.

We lost to them at home just like Liverpool did and I don't remember anyone raising a stink about his parking the bus then. He got his tactics down perfectly and took all 3 points- end of.

• Like 1

Newcastle has gone in the shitter since they sold Yohan Cabaye and replaced him with nobody. He was the engine running the offense, and without him, there's a massive lack of creativity in that side.