DVDVR Message Board

DIRTSHEETZ~! THREAD

RIPPA

Can someone explain to me why Dave or Bryan despises Kane so much?  There has to be some back story because every time they talk about Kane it is like he is a complete jobber who should have been fired years ago.   

Bryan trying to justify that a PPV match with El Torito would be better than Kane is truly sad statement

Can someone explain to me why Dave or Bryan despises Kane so much?  There has to be some back story because every time they talk about Kane it is like he is a complete jobber who should have been fired years ago.   

Bryan trying to justify that a PPV match with El Torito would be better than Kane is truly sad statement

Well, Bryan would be right about El Torito if the match was allowed to be good, but its going to be a comedy match.

I have no problems with Kane as a wrestler, but he's been around for an awfully long time and all the "demon" crap got old long ago.   Maybe Dave and Bryan just think he shouldn't be in the title picture.  I agree with them.

That clip of HHH and Dave is A. hilarious and B. such a beautiful example of why 'pro wrestling news' is a joke. It's still just a bunch of dumb yokels pretending to have INSIDE SCOOPZ getting worked. "I've heard a lot of rumors." I heart you, HHH. I heart you.

That clip of HHH and Dave is A. hilarious and B. such a beautiful example of why 'pro wrestling news' is a joke. It's still just a bunch of dumb yokels pretending to have INSIDE SCOOPZ getting worked. "I've heard a lot of rumors." I heart you, HHH. I heart you.

Wow you didn't get that exchange at all. If anything Triple H is the joke.

I'd love to hear you explain this

I'd love to hear you explain this

I know you would but HIPPA laws preclude me from doing so. Read this week's Observer and come back to me.

Please explain what I missed.

Please explain what I missed.

I'm curious as well.

It was a long paragraph thing, and he did a better job of explaining it on audio and just kind of half hints at in it the newsletter.

Using my own words, Dave feels like he exposed the kayfabe of the conference call and the related WWE press outreach. WWE wants to present themselves as having an open line of communication with the press (wrestling and otherwise), but they're really as secretative and closed off as ever and playing dumb about things the press already knows about.

Putting aside the sound clip above, Dave brought up another moment where Tough Enoguh was asked about. HHH would not say anything definitive about when/where, even though most of the other callers on the line already knew when it was being taped and where it was being taped. It's still obsificiation for the sake of obsification, not exactly the most useful thing when you're trying to get people to write about your project. Either HHH doesn't have the power to actually be as open as he'd like on these (because it's still Vince making those decisions) or HHH is the same as Vince and people shouldn't be expecting changes in the future.

It's kind of a total inside baseball thing - those distinctions matter most to the people actually doing the writing. But it also links back to the Magnus thing from a couple weeks ago - if you're not really going to be open and instead are going to demonstrate that writers will get better and more through information going thru back channel sources, then you're really being silly if you get mad about people doing that.

• Like 1

It was a long paragraph thing, and he did a better job of explaining it on audio and just kind of half hints at in it the newsletter.

Using my own words, Dave feels like he exposed the kayfabe of the conference call and the related WWE press outreach. WWE wants to present themselves as having an open line of communication with the press (wrestling and otherwise), but they're really as secretative and closed off as ever and playing dumb about things the press already knows about.

Putting aside the sound clip above, Dave brought up another moment where Tough Enoguh was asked about. HHH would not say anything definitive about when/where, even though most of the other callers on the line already knew when it was being taped and where it was being taped. It's still obsificiation for the sake of obsification, not exactly the most useful thing when you're trying to get people to write about your project. Either HHH doesn't have the power to actually be as open as he'd like on these (because it's still Vince making those decisions) or HHH is the same as Vince and people shouldn't be expecting changes in the future.

It's kind of a total inside baseball thing - those distinctions matter most to the people actually doing the writing. But it also links back to the Magnus thing from a couple weeks ago - if you're not really going to be open and instead are going to demonstrate that writers will get better and more through information going thru back channel sources, then you're really being silly if you get mad about people doing that.

I think the flip side is that HHH obviously didn't think Dave had the clout or authority to get these answers from him. Instead, he just screwed around, namely, because he could and because there was no consequence and he felt like it was better for the company for him to do so than to reveal what Dave wanted him to reveal through this medium and at this time. I think we've seen Hunter act wildly different than that in interviews even with, let's say, Grantland. 

Dave is probably just used to UFC press conferences where they talk about all the injuries, and who is ducking steroid tests, and Dana White calling other journalists pussies and stuff.  Alls I know is Dr. D would have slapped the shit out of the Meltz for asking a question like that and Bruiser Brody would have made him pee is pants.  Speaking of Dr. D, how'd y'all feel about the John Stossel incident?

• Like 3

Yeah.  If there is a message there, it's that online media has passed Meltzer by and HHH makes a distinction in his mind between guys who matter and guys who don't.

I mean, who gets there news on any other sport or entertainment franchise from a fucking newsletter?  Dave Meltzer is part of the world that HHH wants this company to leave behind.  The very fact that there is something called "wrestling journalism" and that it looks like Dave Meltzer...the goofy, OCD weirdo in his garage that Meltzer looked like in that Times profile...is just another piece of baggage marking wrestling as a bizarre niche undesirable form of media.

I see no reason to expect HHH to welcome a Meltzer question or hug him like he's one of the boys. It's not entirely Dave's fault, but at this point, the very existence of someone like Dave is a drawback to someone trying to reposition a company like that.

• Like 1

Plus, as an entertainment company, they're towing a pretty standard 'wait and see' line. No one says 'hey Marvel will Captain Marvel die at the end of your Universal Torment' event at the end of 2015? and dan slott goes 'I've heard rumors' and then comicbookresources.com is like WE'VE EXPOSED THE KAYFABE OF THIS INTERVIEW BECAUSE WE HAVE SEEN CONCEPT ART OF HIS FUNERAL

so stupid

Meltzer basically got the stock "Calvin Johnson is day to day with a lower body injury" that everybody gets told about eveything in every sport and is still shook.

Pretty much this. If you went and asked Theo Epstein about contract negotiations with Jeff Samardzija, or asked any other GM for any other team, you're going to get a similar response. Meltzer should be smart enough to know that no one, save maybe Dana White (and even then...) is going to just give full disclosure on shit just because the perception among the press is that something is a known quantity. How ridiculous.

Meltzer got worked because HHH gave an emphatic and exaggerated "WHO?!" and Meltzer missed the joke. HHH then had to say, "It's...it's a joke...sorry" and Dave meekly replied with "oh, I missed it."

I haven't heard the audio or anything but I'm guessing Dave asked Trip about Bryant and Trip answered with a I cant talk about it cause of HIPPA.

Rey and Christian, actually.

The HIPPA joke makes me hope and pray that Hunter has a good buddy that works in the HR department and when he said that, the guy was walking by his office and they both winked and laughed and popped a mentos. 

(hey, you're welcome)

I think the flip side is that HHH obviously didn't think Dave had the clout or authority to get these answers from him.

Fairly certain HHH knows who Dave Meltzer is.

Meltzer basically got the stock "Calvin Johnson is day to day with a lower body injury" that everybody gets told about eveything in every sport and is still shook.

There's some of that, but the difference is the Lions gain an advantage from keeping Calvin's injury secret and Dan Slott gains an advantage by not telling exactly how the storyline is going to turn out. WWE isn't gaining anything by keeping a secret about Tough Enough is being taped at the Performance Center. They might gain an advantage about not telling exactly when Rey is coming back, but there's ways you can answer that question ("he's a while away", "any moment") without exactly giving away anyone.

It's a bit closer to maybe the tech world where, even if the press gets all the information about a product, they'll likely want to not confirm anything until they're ready for the big rollout press conference. And that's probably what's ultimately happening with Tough Enough, but it seems reasonable to start asking questions about when it's been mentioned by WWE eslwhere.

Dave wasn't asking about the finishes of Payback (or about the pay), just pretty broad questions.

Meltzer should be smart enough to know that no one, save maybe Dana White (and even then...)

That's pretty much the problem. Meltzer's comparision is the UFC, and he's offhandily mentioned being able to even text message White with random questions and getting answers. Compare that to this. There's secrecy there too, but they're more willing to talk about things they're already talking about.

I think the flip side is that HHH obviously didn't think Dave had the clout or authority to get these answers from him. Instead, he just screwed around, namely, because he could and because there was no consequence and he felt like it was better for the company for him to do so than to reveal what Dave wanted him to reveal through this medium and at this time. I think we've seen Hunter act wildly different than that in interviews even with, let's say, Grantland. 

The Grantland piece where Triple H played Masked Man like a fiddle is your example? Really?

The real flip side is both the Christian and Rey situations are a bit too sensitive for Triple H to comment on in the Conference Call he wanted to control. 

In passing the amount of people who don't subscribe to the Observer vs those who do never ceases to amaze. Along with that those who don't subscribe or know what is going on seem to purport themselves as the biggest experts.Referring to Dave as a dumb yokel is something I would expect to read on Wrestlezone or TNAsylum or something. I know the composition of posters has changed a lot on here the past few years but lads come on now.

If you're reading and paying for Meltzer's newsletter in 2014 and holding it up as a Gold Standard in Pro-Wrestling Journalism and the only place to get wrestling news...

image.png

• Like 3

If you're reading and paying for Meltzer's newsletter in 2014 and holding it up as a Gold Standard in Pro-Wrestling Journalism and the only place to get wrestling news...

image.png

Oh look a meme.

Like I said this is Wrestlezone level discourse on a forum that used to be known for more than that. 

Yes David Shoemaker is now the vanguard for Pro Wrestling journalism and research. Welcome to the Reality Era.