DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

I'm watching WM X on my run through RAW/PPVs in chronological order. I really love the finish in Bret/Owen because it's a callback to the King of the Ring 1993 finish in Bam Bam/Bret. I love the idea that Owen, in getting ready for the biggest night of his life, scouted that match in particular and knew just how to counter a Bret Hart victory roll attempt. I'm probably overthinking it here, but I've always assumed that was the unspoken story of how Owen was able to win cleanly since I was a kid.

New York Knockout is still my favorite clash.

It has flair/funk i quit and the mx / dudes match.

I forget the number but the show with callous/pillman and windham/furnas is good too.

Id also recommend the corpus christi show where sting blows out his knee. That show has the cactus vs mil mascaras match where cornette yells "cactus jack is dead."

Also Clash XX for all the old clips.

• Like 1

any Clash recommendations? Which ones are considered the best?

Clash 19 is one of my favorite rasslin' shows EVER.

It's the first round of the NWA Tag Team tournament. It's so great.

It features: Doc and Gordy ruining the skeletal systems of an Australian father/son team.

Pillman/Lyger vs. Benoit and Beef Wellington in a total barnburner.

The FREEBIRDS VS. EL TEXANO AND SILVER KING! And it's later day, Garvin and Hayes awful and slow Freebirds against a lucha team. One of the all-time great WTF pairings.

Ricky Steamboat and Nikita vs. Joe and Dean Malenko! (I don't think this match was particularly good but it's the Malenkos!)

Barry and Dustin vs. Arn and Beautiful Bobby. (This needs a rewatch today.)

The main event is amazing. It's Doc and Gordy vs. The Steiners. This got set up because The Steiner's first-round opponents were "mysteriously injured" at the hands of Doc and Gordy, who wanted some of the Steiners ASAP. They put on a 20-minute match that's essentially an actual fight. Just a potato-fest and brutal and everything great about wrestling. I think in some Best of the 90s WCW poll here or elsewhere I voted it number one.

• Like 1

Any chance we're going to get a slow Nitro roll out like what we're getting with RAW right now?

If we do, expect a 20,000 word missive from me about this fantastic Rey/Kidman vs. Juvi/Eddie match from some random Nitro in '98 or so that was amazing. I think I might have voted that number one in some poll, too. That and Steiners vs. MVC and Dustin/Steamboat vs. The Enforcers ("HE'S JUST A MAN!) are three of my favorite matches ever.

I think they're timing the Raw roll-out to coincide with the start-up of The Monday Night Wars, and then things'll get added chronologically, which means a slow-down of the current Raw release schedule, but I hope it means WCW Saturday Night gets put up along with Raw/Nitro, because for the longest time WCWSN was still considered the "main" show, until Nitro found its feet, then kinda trailed off when Thunder started.

Perhaps they're going to add Nitro when, chronologically, RAW catches up to when Nitro started? They're up to mid-'94 now with RAW, aren't they? So just about a year's worth more of RAWs to be added before Nitro kicks in?

I'll be going through all of the Clash shows...at some point within the decade. Here's my first Clash review, for COTC 18. I started this simply to check out the Freebirds song (honestly, I'd never heard it before and couldn't find the clip on Youtube) and wound up loving pretty much the whole show. This had Cactus-Hammer, which I'd seen before in clips, and Vinnie Vegas's debut in a nothing match. It also has Rick Steiner cutting by far the worst promo of his career, while Barry cut the best I'd ever heard from him just swearing vengeance and promising to kick Larry's ass.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/05/chronicling-clash-clash-of-champions-18.html

Screens -

adb743324890785.jpg

5889da324890900.jpg

37d86d324890901.jpg

0a2811324891007.jpg

b284f1324890990.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/qxgtmx5mj8y4x4uee6k4k42vmj2042sv

CLASH OF CHAMPIONS, ALL OF THEM --

My brother Chris is a few years younger than me. We had our share of sibling rivalries over the years, usually ending in a fist fight of some sort. But our primary bond as kids was wrestling. We lived in North Jersey, prime WWF territory, and it was inescapable as a child of the 80s. But we devoured ALL sorts of rasslin'. We could get WCCW and Memphis and Global and all sorts of everything on our cable system. But our favorite -- like any other true wrestling fan -- was NWA/WCW (at least until we got ECW in '94).

So many of our favorite joint memories involve watching COTC's in our basement, especially since my wrestling-hating parents would never, ever, ever let us order a PPV. Sting and Flair, with JJ in the cage. Flair/Steamboat. Funk/Flair. Sting coming from the ambulance. Dustin/Ricky vs. The Enforcers. The NWA Tag Team Tournament. All of these were and are significant moments of our childhood years.

The first match I watched after you all tipped me off about COTC's now being on The Network was Dustin/Ricky vs. The Enforcers. I was going to write a review of that match but nothing needs to be said -- it's great and classic and perfect and a good case can be made that it's the best WCW match of all-time. I'll save that for another time, because the Network isn't just about watching matches. It's about the shared, collective experience of watching heroes battle villains and seeing heels outsmart people who obey the rules. It's the greatest morality play American performance art has ever developed.

The tag match took place in 1991, right when I was a freshman and my brother entered middle school. We got Comedy Central that year, which became another basement tradition. Our favorite was, naturally, Andy Kaufmann and "I'm From Hollywood." But Kids In The Hall and MST3K and old Letterman and SNL and the like also informed our comedy vocabulary.

This was the year Nirvana broke, making it easy for geeks to find quality music. I already discovered The Ramones, courtesy of my metal friend Justin who matched them with my sense of humor. The Clash came soon after, as they should for any disaffected teenage weirdo. Eventually, my skater friends from the other side of town introduced me to The Descendants. One day, my brother and I decided to head a few storefronts down from the comic shop (Middle Earth) in Montclair. Here, we discovered Let It Rock, the punk rock record store of choice in North Jersey. We found out about various Lookout and similar bands (this was right around the time Green Day broke) like The Queers and Screeching Weasel and Op Ivy and the rest of my high school soundtrack.

You don't get your license until you're 17 in Jersey. This is the worst part about growing up in the vast suburbs -- I couldn't even get to the other side of my very hilly town without help from my parents (who were terrific and would even frequently go and pick my friends up, since a lot of them had difficult households). But not having you license until late junior or senior year, in retrospect, makes things better. You have to cram a lot more in -- the trips to the diner or Taco Bell or the movies or to random parties in other towns become a lot more condensed and special and memorable.

One of my friends saw a flyer for a punk show taking place in Paramus, which was maybe 20 miles away but our age and the density of New Jersey made if feel like it was in Orange County, California. The headlining band was Youth Brigade, a legendary California hardcore band making a reunion tour, and the co-stars of the amazing "Another State Of Mind" tour documentary that introduced us to Minor Threat and Social Distortion and those bands. The documentary showed that kids around our age could just go for it and figure it out. One of the opening acts was Weston, out from the Lehigh Valley and perhaps the best pop-punk band of the 90s. (They were also huge wrestling fans. I was at a show where one of the members dressed like Crow Sting. One of their members was an early Chikara referee. And, uhm, he used to post here a bit.) They became my favorite band immediately. And another opener was Chisel, who I didn't come to appreciate until a few years later. Their frontman was Ted Leo, who grew up two or three miles from my house and eventually became one of indie music's biggest and best stars.

I'm 36 and have a career in journalism. I was, until recently, a very active comedian who performed in front of a lot of people, particularly at the show I produced and hosted that let me push myself creatively. I learned at a young age to do things the best way possible -- to work hard, to make good choices, to cherish friendships, and that I can live the life I want to lead.

And my brother? He's now a professional comedian. He has a cult-favorite public access show in Manhattan that just got optioned by Comedy Central. The pilot episode featured Colt Cabana punching Michael Cera a few times in the junk. It may or may not get picked up -- it's out of his hands. But either way, he learned to embrace the ridiculous and bizarre and the fringe of life. He makes good choices and inspires a lot of people. We're different -- he has the balls to live the unsteady and hard life that is professional comedy; I always just really wanted to get married and own a home while balancing my internal weirdness.

But we're the same. Our love of DIY and comedy and embrace of the strangeness of live serves us to this day. And I texted him about Clash of the Champions. He doesn't watch wrestling too much anymore -- he became a MMA fan -- he has the Network. He watched the same match I did, just like we did all of those years ago.

• Like 1

any Clash recommendations? Which ones are considered the best?

Clash 19 is one of my favorite rasslin' shows EVER.

It's the first round of the NWA Tag Team tournament. It's so great.

It features: Doc and Gordy ruining the skeletal systems of an Australian father/son team.

Pillman/Lyger vs. Benoit and Beef Wellington in a total barnburner.

The FREEBIRDS VS. EL TEXANO AND SILVER KING! And it's later day, Garvin and Hayes awful and slow Freebirds against a lucha team. One of the all-time great WTF pairings.

Ricky Steamboat and Nikita vs. Joe and Dean Malenko! (I don't think this match was particularly good but it's the Malenkos!)

Barry and Dustin vs. Arn and Beautiful Bobby. (This needs a rewatch today.)

The main event is amazing. It's Doc and Gordy vs. The Steiners. This got set up because The Steiner's first-round opponents were "mysteriously injured" at the hands of Doc and Gordy, who wanted some of the Steiners ASAP. They put on a 20-minute match that's essentially an actual fight. Just a potato-fest and brutal and everything great about wrestling. I think in some Best of the 90s WCW poll here or elsewhere I voted it number one.

Thanks for that. I'm gonna watch Clash 19 now. Of course, the only way I can watch it on my Roku is by going into the recommended section since they haven't added a thing for it yet in the vault and you can't search for them. I think this was the only Clash in the recommended section, so I really lucked out.

Perhaps they're going to add Nitro when, chronologically, RAW catches up to when Nitro started? They're up to mid-'94 now with RAW, aren't they? So just about a year's worth more of RAWs to be added before Nitro kicks in?

Which would probably equal out to roughly around the same time that the "Monday Night Wars" series starts, so that'd make sense.

I'm still curious about that show and what kind of format it'll be in. Or if it's just "here's RAW and here's the Nitro from that same night" each week. Like the Classics on Demand show. I'm more hoping for a documentary style show to compliment both shows from that particular Monday night in (insert year here).

Watching Clash 8. Ten minutes in, and man, Gary Hart is the fucking coolest. Just the fact that he calls Ric Flair "Ricky Flair" is enough. So subtly condescending. 

Watching SST vs the Roadies right now, and Hawk is tearing it up. Clobbers one of them with a big boot after they get rolled in from the outside, whips out that standing headgrab dropkick, then takes a man-sized bump through the turnbuckles, into the post, and onto the floor. 

I miss WCW so much. If the Network adds Saturday Night, Worldwide, and the Power Hour...see ya. 

I think they're timing the Raw roll-out to coincide with the start-up of The Monday Night Wars, and then things'll get added chronologically, which means a slow-down of the current Raw release schedule, but I hope it means WCW Saturday Night gets put up along with Raw/Nitro, because for the longest time WCWSN was still considered the "main" show, until Nitro found its feet, then kinda trailed off when Thunder started.

Watching the early RAWs, that seems consistent with how RAW started as well. The main stuff seemed to happen on Superstars. I wouldn't mind seeing some of those put up at some point.

Watching Clash 8. Ten minutes in, and man, Gary Hart is the fucking coolest. Just the fact that he calls Ric Flair "Ricky Flair" is enough. So subtly condescending. 

Watching SST vs the Roadies right now, and Hawk is tearing it up. Clobbers one of them with a big boot after they get rolled in from the outside, whips out that standing headgrab dropkick, then takes a man-sized bump through the turnbuckles, into the post, and onto the floor. 

I miss WCW so much. If the Network adds Saturday Night, Worldwide, and the Power Hour...see ya. 

Gary Hart is the coolest b/c of this promo.

"Hey bro, what it is? I can't man, I'm doin some business. Nice talkin to ya!"

"Hey Brooks, what are you doin man? Get outta that water man. That's dirty! That's filthy Brooks!"

• Like 1