DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] Technical and General Content Question/Comments

RIPPA

So, I go into watch Survivor Series 1991, and I get the "Chris Benoit Disclaimer" before the show starts.  Odd.

Edit: That was accessing through Roku, when accessing online there is no disclaimer.

So, I go into watch Survivor Series 1991, and I get the "Chris Benoit Disclaimer" before the show starts.  Odd.

Edit: That was accessing through Roku, when accessing online there is no disclaimer.

Could it be for someone else? When do they put that disclaimer on Snuka?

Watching Extreme Rules 2012 on my 360 right now and having a strange issue. The right side of the screen has a strange digital stretch thing happening. Or it will go away and not be widescreen anymore, but it will be the right side of the screen that is stretched out to fill the rest of the screen. Not really describing it very well. Was wondering if anybody else was having this issue.

Do they own the rights to stuff like the WCW produced AAA and New Japan stuff? I'd really love to see When Worlds Collide on the Network.

I believe they've released When Worlds Collide on 24/7 or COD a few years back. I'm unsure about the NJPW stuff though.

360 app is still borked for me. Fiddled with the parental settings, deleted/reinstalled...still have limited content.

Works great on the PS3, though. Luckily, when I actually have time to watch, that's the console in front of me. The 360 lives at my girlfriend's house.

Seems to be good on my kindle as well.

So I recently picked up a Panasonic Plasma and a Roku 2 XS and now I can finally watch The Network on my TV. I'm having an odd issue though and was wondering if someone had an answer...

So my TV is 1080p. My Roku is set to 1080p. When I watch any of the WWE stuff from the HD era, everything's great. But when I watch any of the old stuff (WCW, ECW, old WWF, etc.), it plays the footage with the black bars on the side, as though it's 4:3 content. My TV is supposed to recognize 4:3 content and take of it appropriately, but since the Roku is in 1080p, my TV doesn't realize that it's watching non-HD content. Is there a way to set the Roku to be able to display multiple resolutions (much like a cable box through HDMI pass through)? And if so, would it even work with WWE Network?

I understand that this is a pretty technical question. Props to anyone who can help.

So I recently picked up a Panasonic Plasma and a Roku 2 XS and now I can finally watch The Network on my TV. I'm having an odd issue though and was wondering if someone had an answer...

So my TV is 1080p. My Roku is set to 1080p. When I watch any of the WWE stuff from the HD era, everything's great. But when I watch any of the old stuff (WCW, ECW, old WWF, etc.), it plays the footage with the black bars on the side, as though it's 4:3 content. My TV is supposed to recognize 4:3 content and take of it appropriately, but since the Roku is in 1080p, my TV doesn't realize that it's watching non-HD content. Is there a way to set the Roku to be able to display multiple resolutions (much like a cable box through HDMI pass through)? And if so, would it even work with WWE Network?

I understand that this is a pretty technical question. Props to anyone who can help.

The TV and the Roku is doing everything just fine.  The older, pre-HD stuff was all taped in 4:3 aspect ratio, so it *is* 4:3 content.  Its displaying the right way.  If you got rid of the bars, it would stretch the image outside if its original aspect ratio and it'd look like shit.  Your TV and Roku being 1080p doesn't matter, as everything was upconverted as close to 720p for the network as possible.  You can't take an image that was done analogue in 4:3 and make it 1080p 16:9 20 years after the fact.

• Like 1

I've never seen the "smart stretching" work properly.  And upconverting old images only really results in crystal clear old grainy images.  You can only enhance an image on the fly so much.

I was looking for either "smart stretching" or even the ability to change the color of the bars on the sides from black to gray, but can't enable either since the TV doesn't seem to realize the contest is 4:3. It's a problem I've run into with my Samsung DVR. When I had the Scientific Atlanta box, you could feed it the native resolution and then let the TV take care of the rest. But with the Samsung DVR, you can only pick one resolution. So even on certain channels like Fox, which broadcast in 720p, the box alters the resolution 1080i. Very silly.

Honestly, I think they may be broadcasting the pillarboxing.  Can anyone verify this?  I'm at work, and only have a widescreen monitor, but I'd think if it was a native 4:3, the controls would adjust to the output

The network broadcasts everything at 11:9 at 720p.  So when something old that was done 4:3. they're putting the pillarboxing in.  My monitor at work pillarboxes it when I go full screen, and my PS3 does it and there's no stretch available, just zoom (PS3 is connected through HDMI)

Not to beat the topic to death, but here is an email on the XBox 360 issues:

We would like to notify WWE Network customers using Xbox 360 of an issue accessing certain pay-per-views and classic content after launching the WWE Network app for the first time. We are aggressively working on a solution. In the mean time, if you are experiencing this issue, please do the following:

1. Go to Xbox Settings.
  2. Select Family.
  3. Set the Content Controls to allow for TV-14 content.
  4. Save the settings and restart the WWE app.

This should allow visibility to the missing content.

For further information, please visit our help center.