DVDVR Message Board

THE DEAD CROCKETT CUP: BACKGROUND

RIPPA

A few months back - Ed and I started talking and for some reason we were like "Is the Miracle Violence Connection the best dead tag team of our lifetime?" I am sure someone died to spark that but fuck if I can remember. So that is what spawned this.

RULES AND EXPLANATION

• Wrestler could only be used once
  • Teams are from OUR LIFETIME (Basically since the early 70s... and we really only had to stretch that for Bruiser and Crusher but it was fucking tough to get to 32 teams)
  • We tried to do teams that teamed regularly... basically if had tag title it was good enough for us. Just work with us people.
  • This will run World Cup style - Top Two Advance from each group. (You will see that as I go along)

These are the following Groups

DEAD MONSTER SOMETHING (Group A)

Andre The Giant/Giant Baba

Scott Irwin/Big John Studd

Brian Adams/Yokozuna

Zambaui Express

DEAD AND NATIVE LAND (Group B.)
Owen Hart/Davey Boy Smith
Gary Albright/Mike Shaw
Chris Benoit/Beef Wellington
John Tenta/Dino Bravo

THE GODDELL ALL-STARS (Group C)
Miracle Violence Connection (Terry Gordy/Steve Williams)
DJ Peterson/Wahoo McDaniel
Brusier Brody/Ernie Ladd
Dick the Bruiser/The Crusher

DEAD IN THE HEART OF TEXAS (Group D)
Matt Borne/Buzz Sawyer
Kerry/David Von Erich
Chris Adams/Gino Hernandez
Tom Burton/Mike Davis

DEAN'S DEAD DREAMS (Group E)
Adrian Adonis/Dick Murdoch
Kintaro Oki/Tor Kamata
Rusher Kimura/Ryuma Go
Kanyon/Mark Starr

MUERTE (Group F)
Gringos Locos
Hector Garza/La Fiera
MS-1/Masakre
Emilio Charles/Bestia Salvaje

TENRYU BOOKED SOMETHING DEAD (Group G)
JumboTsuruta/Mitsuharu Misawa
Public Enemy (Rocco Rock/Johnny Grunge)
Buddy Roberts/Angel of Death
JYD/Buck Robley

JOBBED TO DEATH (Group H)
Chris Candido/Louie Spicoli
Missing Link/Hercules Hernandez
Curt Hennig/Eddie Gilbert
Lance Cade/Steve Bradley

EDIT - OH! And Group Voting is Open between basically when you are reading this through the end of Friday.

I predict this will be our most depressing tourney ever.

EDIT: Pretty sure Jerry Brown is still alive...

One source had him being as dead... but another has him as having been missing and then found.

Easy enough fix since we originally had Buddy with the Angel of Death so that is what that team will be

I predict this will be our most depressing tourney ever.

EDIT: Pretty sure Jerry Brown is still alive...

One source had him being as dead... but another has him as having been missing and then found.

Easy enough fix since we originally had Buddy with the Angel of Death so that is what that team will be

Actually, I am a fool and didn't look.  I assumed and Dave's Buddy Roberts obit was vague.  I suck.

• This will run World Cup style - Top Two Advance from each group. (You will see that as I go along)

What's the tiebreaker in case you get a tie within a group?  Like if three teams go 2-1 and one team goes 0-3.  Would it be total margin of victory by votes?

My first choice is the head to head result

But if I need to add a second level - most likely it will be total vote

Basically I am in a "Cross that bridge when I come to it" mood

My first choice is the head to head result

But if I need to add a second level - most likely it will be total vote

Basically I am in a "Cross that bridge when I come to it" mood

This is wrestling, Phil.  THERE ARE NO TIES!!!! DOUBLE DQ!!!  And by default anyone named Murdoch wins.

Would it be awkward to note that two Memphis Moondog pairings are dead? (Spot/Larry Latham and Spike/Bill Smithson, along with Spike and Cujo/Lanny Kean)

Randy Colley being alive and the lack of information on Moondog Splat does mean that there's not 3 Moondog teams in this tournament

We debated the Moondogs for awhile

It was easier to ignore them thanks to all the various forms of the dead.

Plus 95% of the pairings were decided long before the most recent Moondog died

Please excuse my ignorance, but was Hennig/Gilbert a big tag team back in the day? Would have loved a Rude/Hennig team(heenan family, even if they never were a team) Great tourny by the way. . . you rock RIPPA!

Yeah, Phil and I had a long discussion about dead Moondogs.  Then we got all confused when figuring out the Moondogs was like figuring out the Samoan family tree.

And somewhere in there I mentioned the dead Hillbillies and Phil swore at me.

So yeah...we suck

Please excuse my ignorance, but was Hennig/Gilbert a big tag team back in the day? Would have loved a Rude/Hennig team(heenan family, even if they never were a team) Great tourny by the way. . . you rock RIPPA!

Our only rules were that - both had to be dead and they had to be something of a tag team.  Trust me, I would have preferred a Rude/Hennig team.

• Like 1

Yeah - I think Rude and Savage were the two biggest guys I was disappointed in not be able to get into this

And you at one point we had like Uncle Luke and Cousin Elmer as a team in this and I HATED that

Yeah - I think Rude and Savage were the two biggest guys I was disappointed in not be able to get into this

And you at one point we had like Uncle Luke and Cousin Elmer as a team in this and I HATED that

Yeah.  The Hillbilly discussion was me mentioning that and you telling me to fuck myself.

There was someone else I tried to pass off twice.   I mean, fuck, I am disappointed I couldn't have Gordy in twice with Williams AND Buddy Roberts.

Of course, when Jerry Browne dies in like a week, that death will hang over my head.

Pretty sure that Uncle Luke was a better worker than Cousin Luke. Also, Cousin Junior had a Memphis tag title run with Giant Hillbilly (Plowboy, duh).