DVDVR Message Board

Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling Podcast

Web Conn

I'll give you another example. Stone Cold in 2001. He turns heel and his t-shirt sales are still through the roof. Obviously they did a poor job in the later months with his whole run but he didn't suddenly stop pushing merch.

This isn't true at all. Austin's merch sales went into the toilet basically from the day he turned.

The "What?" shirt was everywhere.

I'll give you another example. Stone Cold in 2001. He turns heel and his t-shirt sales are still through the roof. Obviously they did a poor job in the later months with his whole run but he didn't suddenly stop pushing merch.

This isn't true at all. Austin's merch sales went into the toilet basically from the day he turned.

The "What?" shirt was everywhere.

What? wasn't long before he turned back babyface, so I don't think there was a t-shirt more than a couple of weeks before Survivor Series.

Meltzer has mentioned that the day Austin turned was the day merch sales during the Attitude Era peaked.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2014/8/29/6082507/merchandise-sales-no-alternatives-keeps-John-Cena-top-WWE-babyface

The Observer again:

Austin's turn, no matter how entertaining it was, led to huge drops in attendance, ratings and merch sales and the company never got back to previous levels. WCW attempted turns with Sting and Goldberg were such flops they flipped back every time within a few weeks.

- Punk going away may be the best move he's ever made. People are dying to see him and he can write his ticket anywhere. I do think he should try to make as much money now as he can. He's 36 and really can only last 10 years more in wrestling. It says he's worth about $7.6 million now. I don't know about his lifestyle, but that's not that much.

$7.6 million is a lot.  If you invest in Treasuries and average 1% that comes out to $76k per year in interest.  That is more than enough to live off of.

He is happy now which is cool.  He has his health, some bank, and the woman he loves.  When you look at the people who left injured or have serious health problems after leaving Punk is in a good place.

• Like 1

What? wasn't long before he turned back babyface, so I don't think there was a t-shirt more than a couple of weeks before Survivor Series.

That was joke. I don't remember how many shirts were out there. I find it interesting that people would rather argue over those points than the main shit we learned from this interview.

There are fans who bought tickets to events hoping that Punk would be there and those people were denied him for reasons well within his control. Like Jericho said to him, you don't fuck the fans over. 

I guess he should have just kept wrestling with MRSA and died so we could deify how dedicated he was to the business.

He could've consulted an independent doctor without leaving WWE. If he shows up to work with a diagnosis then WWE would have to let him take him off lest they risk assuming extreme liability.

There's no excuse for what Punk did. 

Talking money on a wrestling forum is always spotty. Either someone is not making enough or they are making too much. A report came out that TJ Perkins was making 86K a year working for TNA, some were quick to point out that that is not a lot of money (for a guy who was formerly homeless) and now 7.6 million isn't a lot of money?

It's a lot of money to nearly everyone on the planet but it's not exactly the much talked about "fuck you" money because it's a situation where he will not be able to just do whatever the fuck he wants for the next 40 years. He will still have to be smart with it which I'm guessing he will be.

It's a lot of money to nearly everyone on the planet but it's not exactly the much talked about "fuck you" money because it's a situation where he will not be able to just do whatever the fuck he wants for the next 40 years. He will still have to be smart with it which I'm guessing he will be.

Assuming he owns his condo already, has a wife that can hold her own, and lives a modest life not buying luxury cars, no to mention that he has a job that probably pays daily bills and will always be able to do odd appearances in nerd culture for scratch, I don't think he'll ever worry again.

Assuming he owns his condo already, has a wife that can hold her own, and lives a modest life not buying luxury cars, no to mention that he has a job that probably pays daily bills and will always be able to do odd appearances in nerd culture for scratch, I don't think he'll ever worry again.

He owns his place, plus paid for Joey Mercury's home.

There are fans who bought tickets to events hoping that Punk would be there and those people were denied him for reasons well within his control. Like Jericho said to him, you don't fuck the fans over. 

I guess he should have just kept wrestling with MRSA and died so we could deify how dedicated he was to the business.

He could've consulted an independent doctor without leaving WWE. If he shows up to work with a diagnosis then WWE would have to let him take him off lest they risk assuming extreme liability.

There's no excuse for what Punk did. 

You're making a lot of assumptions without anything at all to back it up.

Punk saying HHH always looked at him sideways is believable to me. Much like Vince, HHH seems to have his "type" of wrestler he likes.

Cabanna thinking punks original program with HHH was meant to bury him (come back from retirement, win, right back onto retirement) seems about right.

The Shield stuff worked out for the better.

Punks arguments about who will be here Monday really !make sense. Any pro wrestler who isn't a total mark will always tell ypu to be looking for a new program and more money. That's what pro wrestlers do. Punk clearly wanted programs to make money and that's what he should do.

Ryback has had more responces to Punk on Twitter. Don't know how to share that but go look.

About the sponsor on shorts thing. Didn't Chavo or someone else like Shelton Benjamin have an offer like that at one point?

Punk as mma bad ass doesn't work for me.

On a tangential note, is there any industry where people openly and publicly shit-talk their former employer(s) and co-workers more than wrestling?

There isn't, right?

Rock bands?

Is there a cottage industry for rock bands etc. who hate on each other, though?

I remember D'Lo had the Lugz deal at some point but I don't know if that was a WWE approved deal since Lugz was a sponsor on and off.

I know Renegades chewing tobacco used to sponsor Memphis wrestling, if I'm not mistaken, I think Lawler at one point had a Renegades logo on his tights.

Also don't a bunch of people have sponsors in Japan?  I seem to recall Corino or someone mentioning that a sponsor company would send him like watches to wear at press conferences and things.  I'm sure a lot of the WWE opposing the wrestlers signing sponsorships is that they don't get a piece of the action.