DVDVR Message Board

February 2014 Football thread

The Natural

Sanogo looked alright.  If Allen weren't an overpriced pet of Rodgers', I'd say he'd be a good heir to the Arteta role.

Suarez made things interesting when he traded places with Sturridge, Coutinho was isolated well enough.  Not very good officiating all around, but the first penalty was the opposite of Pantera, and Gerrard was lucky to have stayed on the pitch.  Podolski really should be in the team more often than not, as he has a knack of being involved in goals (even if he isn't as silky as Cazorla/Özil

Am I the only one surprised that Flamini has only been booked on 7 occasions this season?

That definitely should've been a penalty on Suarez, but then, the actual penalty given was exceptionally soft so it all evens out.

It might've been given if he didn't sell it like The Rock taking a stunner.

• Like 2

Meltzer today

--Regarding the story on Vince McMahon buying the Newcastle Football Club, the belief it is more likely Shane McMahon.  Shane McMahon has some interest in European sports and British soccer, while Vince has very little interest in any sports.    

Yes, finally a group of foreign owners that'll end up more hated than the Manchester clubs'!

Course, Shane'll probably end up a genius and Newcastle'll suddenly become a Top Flight Club.

I'm wondering how much longer this Barca side can keep going. Xavi has been winning titles since 1999. Valdes, Messi and Inesta since 2005. Even guys like Pique and Dani Alves won their first title five years ago.

That's a very long time to play at GOAT level. I fancy City a little bit here.

Thing is... Messi is 26. Neymar 22, Sanchez 25, Cesc 25, Busquets 25, Ramos 27. They're really not an old team other than Alves, Xavi, and I guess Valdez though for GK on a club like Barcelona I'm not even sure that matters.

Hell, Zlatan Ibrahimovic is 32 and has been a top level guy forever.