DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL DRAFT

RIPPA

Man there's something really creepy about watching someone's life unravel in what feels like real time.  Hopefully one of the "men of god" in the NFL that have some sway reach out to him before the headlines go from sad to fatal.

Shouldn't this be right up Tony Dungy's alley?

It's very sad and to the majority of people, even the highly religious, it probably comes off as a mental illness of some sort.

I know many here don't care for faith/religion, but what's happening to Muema goes beyond that.  It's quite sad.

If this is in regards to my comment, I think you may be misunderstanding me.    My implication was not that religion was the cause of his problems, rather that he might be inclined to listen to someone who was very outwardly religious and a major figure in the NFL.  I mentioned Dungy because, having read his auto-biography I know he is very religious and I know he's dealt with losing family.  It just struck me as something he'd take up as a personal cause.

If this wasn't in regards to my post, well then I need to stop posting before I have a cup of coffee or four when I wake up :)

Just for variety

Here is WalterFootball's Mock Draft

Updated yesterday and 5 rounds

I for one approve of any draft that has the Bucs not taking a new Quarterback.  I thought Glennon was a nice surprise last year and feel he deserves the chance to be a starter under Lovie's regime.

I know many here don't care for faith/religion, but what's happening to Muema goes beyond that.  It's quite sad.

If this is in regards to my comment, I think you may be misunderstanding me.    My implication was not that religion was the cause of his problems, rather that he might be inclined to listen to someone who was very outwardly religious and a major figure in the NFL.  I mentioned Dungy because, having read his auto-biography I know he is very religious and I know he's dealt with losing family.  It just struck me as something he'd take up as a personal cause.

If this wasn't in regards to my post, well then I need to stop posting before I have a cup of coffee or four when I wake up :)

No, I wasn't implying anything about you or anyone specific, really.  I just speaking on how religion is generally viewed here.

My not-well-made point was Muema's situation goes beyond religion and no matter what anyone thinks about the subject, he needs real help.  If that comes from a faith-based situation, so be it.  As long as he's safe.

For Carolina @ 28, I really like the pick of Jason Verrett in the first.  Our GM has stated several times that he is going to draft the best player available and we definitely need all the help we can get at the corner position.  The NFC South is full of explosive receivers and I'm tired of seeing our secondary get torched over and over again.  The main knock on the young man is his size.  He's about 5'9" or 10" and he'll have to go up against some pretty tall receivers.  But from the clips that I've seen of him, the guy can really play so I would definitely give him a chance.

I would feel more comfortable with the pick if Jordan Gross was still around.  Their mock doesn't have us addressing the tackle position until the 3rd with Cyrus Kouandjio.  If Cyrus' knee is good to go then I think that is a fantastic pickup.

Whatever the case, I hope that we are aggressive in searching for a tackle, either in free agency if we can get a long term deal with Hardy done to free up some cap space or through the draft, because Byron Bell is not the answer.  He should be a depth tackle and not a starter, much less LT.  Offensive line was one of our weak points last year but it was not nearly as bad as the experts projected.  If we bring Travelle Wharton back (maybe) and healthy Amini Silatolu and Ryan Kalil, the interior of the line will be pretty decent.

I also would be very happy with Kelvin Benjamin at WR at 28.  I spoke pretty highly of him last year and it would be great to give Cam a big target to throw to next year.  No matter what this is a really great draft for our needs of CB, T, and WR so I have faith that we will be able to fill quite a few holes in the draft.

Both Mel Kiper and Todd McShay posted their newest versions of mock drafts yesterday.

Since both are INSIDER~! articles I am not going to link to them but yeah but each have their comical moments (like Kiper thinking the Texans are going to take Khalil Mack)

Both Mel Kiper and Todd McShay posted their newest versions of mock drafts yesterday.

Since both are INSIDER~! articles I am not going to link to them but yeah but each have their comical moments (like Kiper thinking the Texans are going to take Khalil Mack)

My guess is Kiper is running with the idea that the Texans trade for Mallett thous not needing the QB off the top?

For Carolina @ 28, I really like the pick of Jason Verrett in the first.  Our GM has stated several times that he is going to draft the best player available and we definitely need all the help we can get at the corner position.  The NFC South is full of explosive receivers and I'm tired of seeing our secondary get torched over and over again.  The main knock on the young man is his size.  He's about 5'9" or 10" and he'll have to go up against some pretty tall receivers.  But from the clips that I've seen of him, the guy can really play so I would definitely give him a chance.

What's your thoughts on our draft picks now that we've essentially lost every target Cam was throwing at last season?

For Carolina @ 28, I really like the pick of Jason Verrett in the first. Our GM has stated several times that he is going to draft the best player available and we definitely need all the help we can get at the corner position. The NFC South is full of explosive receivers and I'm tired of seeing our secondary get torched over and over again. The main knock on the young man is his size. He's about 5'9" or 10" and he'll have to go up against some pretty tall receivers. But from the clips that I've seen of him, the guy can really play so I would definitely give him a chance.

What's your thoughts on our draft picks now that we've essentially lost every target Cam was throwing at last season?
Holy Shit someone signed The Air Three Feet Above The Receivers Head from the Panthers too?
  • Like 2

I think it's too early to say at the moment, but Carolina definitely has to pick up some receivers soon.  Olsen is still a good pass catcher and picking up Nicks and James Jones would be ideal.  Nicks as 1, Cook/Benjamin/Matthews as the 2, Jones as 3, LaFell/McNutt as 4 and things wouldn't look so bad.  Luckily for Carolina the draft is really deep at the positions they need. I really believe that the Panthers will double up on WR, one in the 1st and one in the 4th or 5th.  This wouldn't have been such a problem if we could have found capable receivers since I don't know Moose left... 

• Like 1

Meh, media members make a big deal about pro days. Hell, Mayock said that Russell had one of the best pro days he'd ever seen and it was roundly said that Gabbert killed it at his pro day. I'll take game tape any day, all day over the underwear olympics and the game tape says that Bridgewater is the best QB in this class.

• Like 2

I'm seeing a lot of tweets and articles that Teddy Bridgewater shit the bed at his pro day. The highest praise I have seen thus far was Norv Turner, but a lot of people are saying average looking at best.

Let him slide right to #8.

I like Zack Martin a lot more at RG than I do at RT. I think he's okay but I don't think he's the kind of lineman you spend a first rounder on. 

And I really hope the Tre Mason in the second round rumblings aren't true. My game film takeaway from him was he was a straight-line runner who can't make the first guy miss. The Dolphins already have ONE Lamar Miller. 

• Like 1

Sadly - and not surprisingly - Adam Muema no-showed the San Diego State pro day. 

Derek Carr had the flu during his

And in maybe a good sign (or smart planning) - Michael Sam had his pro day yesterday... which you heard almost nothing about

EDIT - And BTW, Sam posted better numbers yesterday in all the drills than he did at the Combine, which I think he almost had to do

• Like 1

I like Zack Martin a lot more at RG than I do at RT. I think he's okay but I don't think he's the kind of lineman you spend a first rounder on. 

And I really hope the Tre Mason in the second round rumblings aren't true. My game film takeaway from him was he was a straight-line runner who can't make the first guy miss. The Dolphins already have ONE Lamar Miller. 

Mason has crappy field vision and runs into his own blockers too much for me. Any time before the 4th is too high for him, IMO.

And in maybe a good sign (or smart planning) - Michael Sam had his pro day yesterday... which you heard almost nothing about

EDIT - And BTW, Sam posted better numbers yesterday in all the drills than he did at the Combine, which I think he almost had to do

I don't think you hear his name called before the 6th round. Small and slow just screams "situational pass-rusher" at best.