DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

Agreed. The overall creepiness of small town Louisiana added a ton to the first season.  Obviously the acting was top notch.  I think everyone will bring their A-game. I'm most excited to see Vince Vaughn doing this.   I'm all in.  If it's anywhere near as good as the first season it will be a lot of fun.

Looks more than a bit pretentious and mired in its own misery...which was the problem the first time around too. 

Man, it seems like Hannibal and Bates Motel are the only shows who get you can deal with murder and crime and not be totally sad and gloomy 100% of the time.

The good thing about an anthology is that a bad season doesn't even retroactively damage the previous near-perfect one, and it's no reason to expect the next reason to also suck.

That said, I have no idea about season 2 of TD. 

Murder is fun. What? I'm lost on your point I guess.

No, but so much serial killer stuff in movies/TV is always depressing and miserable and weighed down in its own self-importance. Justified? Sure. But it's been done all the time.

In that respect, True Detective was nothing new.

I like that Hannibal maintains a sense of wonder about things. Obviously people are dropping dead all the time and it's sad, but they don't get weighed down in it.

Twin Peaks too, for that matter.

• 1 month later...

Second trailer is out and looks slightly less generic gritty cop show-ish-

Any word on when this is supposed to take place?  Some of the aesthetic looks like it might be set in the 80s, but I'm aware there are parts of LA that are incredibly dingy and don't look to have aged since then.  As much as the southern gothic theme of the first season added to everything, I'm cautiously optimistic that they might be taking some pages from worth-a-shit era Michael Mann with some of the atmospheric touches in the setting.

• 1 month later...

Terrible theme aside, I thought there was a lot of potential in there. 

And, hey, a female character that actually does stuff and is interesting!

Also: I'm all for Vince Vaugn getting into drama if it stops him making hideous comedies with Owen Wilson.

I'm a little iffy so far. This wasn't as elegant as the opening of season 1.  They dumped so much character exposition on us instead of letting it seep out a little bit at a time.

Plus I'm not sure how many ways I can watch Pizzolato work through his dick issues.

Pizzolato's fall from grace is going to be glorious to watch. He was fucking insufferable when everyone was kissing his ass 24/7 (except for women and women sympathizers, natch, but fuck them).

It's not helping that I went from this to finally watching the 1st episode of ORPHAN BLACK.  And it was like a different world the storytelling was so much more skillful.  The mystery so instantly more compelling.  The characters so much more deftly introduced.  No conversations that somehow reveal that the lead character's mother killed herself when she was raped in Iraq by a serial killer all dumped on us so we'll know ahead of time we're supposed to be conflicted about her actions.

Even the directing was so much more tuned correctly to the actual plot and not some imaginary music video.

TD was hilariously overwrought in comparison.  It reminded me of that Erszterhas/Friedkin movie JADE with David Caruso.  That level of ponderous heavy unearned moodiness.

Taylor Kitsch is blander than a sack of potatoes.

I mean, I know he was in Battleship and John Carter, but I think his lack of personality damaged him more than those movies bombing ever could.

Farrell was basically brooding mostly and McAdams was good.

I was most impressed by Vaughn, I think. He was under-playing the role quite nicely. He didn't go over the top with it, which I thought he might. 

Yeah, I mean, I got to the end of the episode, and the show hadn't given me one compelling reason to care about what was going on. It actually felt like the episode ended where it should have started. It was 55 minutes of preamble.

The Truest Detective is the most sober one.

Farrell's character seems to be the most interesting to me so far, but could they have dumped any more tropes on him? He's an alcoholic! He's got an ex-wife we haven't met yet! His kid is a pussy and likes the stepdad more! He's at least slightly dirty! Good god.