DVDVR Message Board

Its value really started fluctuating towards irrelevance around the time Chyna won it actually.

That's not really fair to Chyna considering that in the first half of 99, such luminaries as The Godfather and Road Dogg had short forgettable "reigns."  If anything, the Chyna/Jarrett feud put some heat back on the title and in 2000, the superworkers like Angle, Benoit, and Jericho all started having memorable matches for the belt.

Skipped thst part. I do love the running gag of austin owing people beers for leaving his phone on during the podcast.

I eagerly await the day I meet him at a bar.  For all the times it's happened I'd be pretty hammered if that happened.

Around what time did he talk hip hop?  That would be the only part I'd care to listen to.

Sure you can.  The IC Title's regarded as #2 by rep rather than reality.  Its value really started fluctuating towards irrelevance around the time Chyna won it actually.

The IC belt was pretty strong when Shamrock was champ. It was hurt by the series of quick changes from Road Dogg to Goldust to Godfather.

But Jarrett helped build it back up. 

I think Austin had him stonewalled though.  Why?  No one seems to know and its the one topic Stone Cold doesn't ever really address on his podcast.  He talked around the situation once but never even mentioned Jarrett by name.

I've always fondly looked back on the Double J gimmick.  Could be my mid 90s nostalgia, but I miss the tongue in cheek silliness of things like a wrestler using the WWF to springboard to country music success.  

There's a story about Austin being upset about his check and just standing in the hall looking down at it and Jeff Jarrett walked by and told him that staring at it won't make it any bigger.  Also, when Jarrett returned from WCW he did a worked shoot and mentioned Austin 3:16 being blasphemous or something and the story is that Austin took that as Jarrett trying to sabotage his merch money so he refused to ever work with him.

Being Intercontinental Champion used to make the holder the automatic #1 contender to the WWF World Title.  They actually headlined tours with IC Title matches.  Later with Austin/Rock/Triple H it seemed like a legit springboard to something bigger.  Then it just turned into garnish.  That Jarrett/Chyna feud wasn't about the IC Title.  I didn't even remember that Chyna beat Jarrett for the IC Title.  I actually remembered her winning it in a tag match beating Trish Stratus which is even worse.

Maggle Cole can namedrop former IC Champions in the HOF all day but there hasn't been a point in being IC Champ for a long time.  Nobody believes Bad News Barrett is a contender to the World Title.  I can't even remember who he beat or how long he's had it.  I saw a picture of Big E with the belt and couldn't remember if he had actually been champion before.  Shit, Jericho's held it like 10 times but if you put a gun to my head I doubt I could tell you anything about him winning or losing it.  The title's importance has just been diluted so much with too many changes with too little consequence over the years.

I'll be honest, I don't remember wwf ever running with the IC champ being the automatic number 1 contender other than the Apter mags saying it.

Yeah, that's never happened very often. In the entire history of the belt, there's been 73 IC champions, in a total of 150 championship reigns. Out of all those guys, only 16 IC titleholders later went on to win any world heavyweight championships. (I'm not counting guys who had already been world champs before they won the midcard belt for the first time, like Pedro Morales or The Miz or whoever.) That comes out to only 22% of Intercontinental champions going on to later win the World/WWE/ECW belts, which ain't exactly a high number. In fact, it was almost a decade from the belt's creation in 1979 until Savage won the world title in 1988 that it even happened for the first time. So, the WWE's traditional claim that the IC champ is the #1 contender is total "Hogan was the first man to ever slam Andre when he did it in the Silverdome" revisionist bullshit hype.

I'll be honest, I don't remember wwf ever running with the IC champ being the automatic number 1 contender other than the Apter mags saying it.

Yeah, that's never happened very often. In the entire history of the belt, there's been 73 IC champions, in a total of 150 championship reigns. Out of all those guys, only 16 IC titleholders later went on to win any world heavyweight championships. (I'm not counting guys who had already been world champs before they won the midcard belt for the first time, like Pedro Morales or The Miz or whoever.) That comes out to only 22% of Intercontinental champions going on to later win the World/WWE/ECW belts, which ain't exactly a high number. In fact, it was almost a decade from the belt's creation in 1979 until Savage won the world title in 1988 that it even happened for the first time. So, the WWE's traditional claim that the IC champ is the #1 contender is total "Hogan was the first man to ever slam Andre when he did it in the Silverdome" revisionist bullshit hype.

So, 1) I'm not sure Miz is your best example, since going from midcard belt to top belt is pretty much exactly his career arc, he just had the US belt rather than the IC title, 2) Even when the IC title was a big deal, WWF/E never "automatically" made the IC champ #1 contender, which is literally what the person you're replying to just said.

Jeff Jarrett is an incredibly underrated talent. If he hadn't left the WWF and been the face of Russo led WCW and TNA, he might be better remembered. 

There's some truth in that, but Jim Cornette was right on this one when he stated that Jarrett 'isn't a lead, he's the best friend'. He's a good solid #2 guy but he's a pretty crappy Darth Vader. Almost all his best work comes from when he's not actually trying to be the top guy.

then again, in the Memphis universe, there's Lawler at the top, Dundee/Dutch/The Jarretts as supporting characters to whatever Lawler is doing, then there's the visiting heels for the month or so.

Cornette uses the same "man who works with the draw" comparison for Triple H too

Jeff Jarrett is an incredibly underrated talent. If he hadn't left the WWF and been the face of Russo led WCW and TNA, he might be better remembered. 

There's some truth in that, but Jim Cornette was right on this one when he stated that Jarrett 'isn't a lead, he's the best friend'. He's a good solid #2 guy but he's a pretty crappy Darth Vader. Almost all his best work comes from when he's not actually trying to be the top guy.

He's not Denzel...

• Like 7