DVDVR Message Board

I was really hoping Brock was gonna answer the phone there.

Yeah, but Paul getting a text from a writer saying that the writers should be fired was pretty fantastic too.

I bet that writer was banging his head against a wall when Paul actually read that out loud.

I'm re-watching the end of this again, and man, Steve is such a competitive motherfucker. When Paul's phone went off and he got a text, and Steve said "Is that him?" there was something almost giddy in his eyes. I mean it. We know he's friends with Paul and we know he's friends with Brock, but I swear to God, in that moment, I think he really was thinking about wanting to rip Brock to shreads.

So either his competitive juice kicked in, or that's just why Steve is the most believable guy ever in the business. But really, go back and watch his face when Paul's phone goes off and Steve says, "Is that him?" He wants him.

The last last three minutes was the only thing that could have topped that rental car story. And you'll notice once Austin started working that angle there was no deviation. So that clip can be used cleanly should something come of it.

When an angry Samoan says "Bruddah, PULL THE CAR OVER," you pull the car over, Steiners or no Steiners.

• Like 1

In those last three minutes, Austin made an entire smart fanbase forget that he's north of 50 with bad everything. Part of it is because he doesn't look all that different. Hogan had the hairline and the orange leather, Flair had the moobs and even more leather. And plus they never went away from actual wrestling for long enough, unlike Austin, who hasn't wrestled in over a decade now.

And he was smart enough to get people thinking in the direction of a garbage brawl match now.

So that was the official sermon for the death of Cena's springboard Stunner. Cena would be a madman to use it again, unless it's protected as a unique rarity move that finishes guys off and I'm in total agreeance that it looks daft and doesn't mean a thing in the context of how it's been used so far. I could listen to both of them shoot the shit for hours and hours but I wasn't particulary excited about them being in a protected enviroment on the network but it was still great. Heyman blindsiding Austin with the last question was awesome and I genuinely thought he ruffled a few feathers there until I was in realization and in awe of what was transpiring, Vince needs to make it happen. Austin/Lesnar with Taker/Sting underneath would do record breaking numbers.

The way Austin switched on a dime was something else.

Man, it was, it was freaking breathtaking. It was an absolute thing of beauty. It was like a switch, and he wisely didn't let off the pedal, which would've made it seem like an act.

It really paid off to what Austin and Heyman were saying about "where's the money?" Just that little burst there was solid money.

I really liked the talk about protecting moves and how to make moves special. I know it's wrestling 101, but it's still fun to hear.

The Texas Death Match deal could place the match as strictly a brawl, which would be possible. There's no way Austin could wrestle a "Lesnar match" with Lesnar with all those damn suplexes. But man, talk about the run-up: Austin vs. Heyman in promos? Hell yeah.

• Like 1

The Mark Henry Headlock talk was great. So simple and no one ever seems to get it.

The problem isn't that no one gets it, it's that in order to work everyone needs to get it.  Every other guy needs to stop doing a move, everyone has to sell it like death, and oh yeah the writers need to let you go over someone every so often and not have this rule that "you gotta use all your big moves in every match to pop the crowd even though you aren't going to win for the next six months."

• Like 3

Heyman and Dusty need to set up a company that teaches public speaking and promotion.  It's so simple but not easy, and hardly anyone (including myself) ever gets it.  Introduce yourself, tell the audience what you do, and engage said audience in why you're talking with them on any particular day.  Where is the money?  That's the objective, keep it simple and push it to the hilt.

• Like 1

The Mark Henry Headlock talk was great. So simple and no one ever seems to get it.

The problem isn't that no one gets it, it's that in order to work everyone needs to get it.  Every other guy needs to stop doing a move, everyone has to sell it like death, and oh yeah the writers need to let you go over someone every so often and not have this rule that "you gotta use all your big moves in every match to pop the crowd even though you aren't going to win for the next six months."

I meant more in the fan community, but yes, that's generally what agents are for.

That's something I noticed about the Owens match. He did a bunch of offense that basically belong to other guys.

Heyman and Dusty need to set up a company that teaches public speaking and promotion.  It's so simple but not easy, and hardly anyone (including myself) ever gets it.  Introduce yourself, tell the audience what you do, and engage said audience in why you're talking with them on any particular day.  Where is the money?  That's the objective, keep it simple and push it to the hilt.

I would have loved them to double back and try to work out where the money was in Warrior promos.

It's funny, a lot of times you'll hear NXT guys on these podcasts talk about how difficult it is doing off-the-cuff promos and such for training.  Stuff like cutting a promo on a shoe or something.  And all I think is, "Dammit, that's Public Speaking 101 and I've taught literally hundreds of people to do impromptu speeches like that."  Even just teaching these guys some basics of extemporaneous speaking would liven those promos up.  I even used to have a wrestling promo day when I'd teach public speaking during the longer summer classes. 

I don't know what I'm getting at here.  I don't teach public speaking anymore because I'm a professor and that's usually grad student/adjunct work, but I guess I'd be willing to rethink my career to work with Dusty Rhodes on teaching promos. 

The problem is that most of these guys are too wordy, and I blame Writing for that.  Why use 17 words when 4 will work?  Streamline the process and things will click.  Most of the talent CAN talk, but not the way they're micromanaged to pieces.

The problem with the writing is that it doesn't take guys' personalities into consideration, doesn't give them a voice, doesn't allow them to develop a character. How much money did the "Austin 3:16" line make for WWE? I'd say no one wrote that for Austin. He said it because it was part of his personality, of his character.

You gotta let people try, even if they fail. The new guys can practice at NXT. Some people should have managers. The WWE match I wanted to see the most last year was Brock-Cena at Summer Slam, and Heyman singe-handedly sold me on that one. After last night, if Austin-Brock happened and Wrestlemania were only on PPV, I'd gladly plunk down $65 to see it.

I hate that they do these shows after RAW because it really constricts the time. They should do it on Tuesday night at 9 or something and give Austin a solid two hours to just talk with his guest. I mean that upcoming Undertaker interview is going to be great. Something like that would need the two hours.

As for this interview, it was pretty good. It was a more condensed version of the ones Heyman all ready did with Austin. That Steiner/Sting story sounds so amazing. Heyman was right all it would have taken is someone swerving the other way and wrestling would have been changed forever. It was so believable though because if anyone would be hanging off the side of a car trying to open another car door at 85 MPH it's Rick Steiner.

The bit about promo's was spot on. I think Heyman and Austin were holding back though. They could have dived so much more into how much promos are controlled. To the average viewer it made it seem like the talent has some control over what they say. We know they don't.

Loved the ending though. Austin looked legit pissed when he went into Stone Cold mode and Heyman was like "ah fuck...what did I do". Just throwing it out there that it would be a Texas Death Match was brilliant on Austin's part. He's over 50, has a worn down body. He's not going to try to wrestle/take monster suplexes from Brock. He's gonna come in with steel toed boots and try to kick the shit out of him. I'm sold on it all ready.

As is well documented on various past podcasts, if michael hayes had not told austin when he came back from the hospital that jake cut a religious promo on him, we would not have had austin 3:16.

But Hayes damn sure didn't script it for him. That was my point. A spontaneously done promo made that company millions, and yet soap opera writers have to script every word for everybody now?

No, i agree. I was just saying 3:16 was created in the spur of the moment, and by happenstance.