DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-6-14 - Old School Raw

MGFanJay

The nostalgia stuff is fine in limited amounts. But I am really glad I don't have to waddle through the same 30-45 minutes worth of catchphrases per episode of a show.

What if they replaced most backstage segments and HHH-style length in-ring promo segments with chant-along catchphrases and entrance routines?

I like the backstage and in-ring promo segments better. They at least try and go somewhere plot-wise. They're not always executed well. Sometimes they are (The Shield vs. Piper last night, Wyatt Family attacking Bryan, etc.) but obviously not always. What did the OHHH YOU DIDN"T KNOW stuff ever accomplish besides generating a Pavolvian response from dimbulbs?

I know the WWE was a lot more popular then. But Nickleback has also sold a ton of albums.

You guys are right Kofi, Miz, Truth, 3MB, Khali etc are far more entertaining than 2 Cool, Godfather, Val. I'm all for good wrestling but if we're being realistic this is the most vanilla, boring roster ever. I don't care about 80% of these guys. And crowds aren't exactly going nuts for CodyDust, the Usos or any of the other tag acts.

There's a balance, but right now they're vanilla as fuck. With good matches.

Boring? Punk, Wyatts, Rhodes Bros., Bryan, Usos, Real Americans, Shield, Alberto, etc. are all boring? Such cynicism in one so young... Tsk, tsk.

I'll tell you what's boring...

My grand-daughter is watching some abomination entitled "Peppa Pig", when I could be watching 1980s lucha... When did a complete inability to draw become the norm for animators?

• Like 1

Outlaws were a really good team by 99. 

They could work heel and face to equal effect. The catch phrases were fun and got a real reaction out of the paying customers. 

2 Cool in 2000 were more over than anybody on the current roster, including Cena. Scotty has always been a good hand who could deliver a good county fair main event. When he was jobber Scott Taylor he was very dependable. He lucked into a gimmick that got really over and he used it. 

This current storyline makes Bryan look like a wiener, he gave up after one forearm to the back of the head. 

You can say it was all of the beatings put together. But he had plenty of chances to hit Bray in his pig face and did not do it. 

There was this match in 2000, where Bossman and Albert kept beating down Tazzz. Tazz kept attacking til Bossman broke his night stick over Tazzzz's head and he still tried to fight. 

They could have had Bryan put Bray in the Crossface and had those hillbillies pry him off. Anything but giving up after one forearm to the head. 

Boring? Punk, Wyatts, Rhodes Bros., Bryan, Usos, Real Americans, Shield, Alberto, etc. are all boring? Such cynicism in one so young... Tsk, tsk.

Well, Alberto del Rio is very boring.

Boring is a new term for when you can't find a legit fault in someone. 

Well, Alberto del Rio is very boring.

Boring is a new term for when you can't find a legit fault in someone.

I can't get into his matches. I find his finisher to be thoroughly uninteresting. I don't want to listen to his promos. I'd much rather have him be used to put over Ricardo Rodriguez, then move him into feuding with someone like Santino. He does nothing to stand out, either to make me love him or hate him. He's like an inferior Mexican version of Christian. If he disappeared for a few months, I would not miss him.

• Like 2

And the dregs of today (Kofi, Miz, Khali) are the same exact to me as 2 Cool and The Godfather. Man oh man did I hate The Godfather. The dude was pretty bad in the ring and did a spot that took 15 minutes where he was a guy pretending to be a pimp pretending to be a train.

OK this got a legit ROFLZ out of me...

The thing about the late 90's (and also the 80's heyday) is that I think there is a legitimate question to be asked:  Was wrestling red hot because all those guys were so over, or did those guys all get such big reactions because pro wrestling itself was such a big deal?

Basically, I think it's worth asking if being on the same show as Rock and Austin (or Hogan and Savage) allowed Too Cool (or, say, The Bushwhackers) to get such loud reactions.

• Like 1

The thing about the late 90's (and also the 80's heyday) is that I think there is a legitimate question to be asked:  Was wrestling red hot because all those guys were so over, or did those guys all get such big reactions because pro wrestling itself was such a big deal?

Basically, I think it's worth asking if being on the same show as Rock and Austin (or Hogan and Savage) allowed Too Cool (or, say, The Bushwhackers) to get such loud reactions.

Too Cool were entertaining in and out of the ring. NAO were the same. Godfather too. Good wrestlers? To an extent, but larger than life personalities. What do the Rhodeses, Usos, Kofi, Miz etc etc etc do that makes you want to see them win or lose. Why cheer or boo for the Shield? Look at Reigns, he's getting over because he has something the other two don't. Imagine a roster filled with those guys.

Are there guys who can be demonstrated to have shut down a hot crowd?

Wrestling needs more catch phrases that people can chant with. People love that type of stuff and it is missing in this current era.

What?

Dude, we're rolling with the idea that no one has catchphrases. Just go along with the lie for arguments sake. 

• Like 2