DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I guess I'm gonna have to catch up on THE LEFTOVERS and start watching that on Sunday nights, because I'm not sure how much more of THE STRAIN I can take. It's worse than THE WALKING DEAD at this point. Dude flushing his balls might be the high water mark of the series.

I continue to mourn the death of my Showtime subscription. Praise for THE KNICK has got me wishing I still had Cinemax, too.

I think the Cinemax stuff might find its way on HBO GO. I know one of their series was on there for a bit.

Also, I really have enjoyed THE LEFTOVERS up until this point. I thought Sunday was maybe the weakest episode they've done, but it was coming off of a phenomenal episode of TV the week before.

Episodes 3 and 6 are both single character episodes, and they are both fantastic pieces of television.

What I don't understand is why HBO Go has apps for damn near everything, but Max Go is pretty much only for mobile devices.  I want Max Go on my PS3 too, dammit!

And Showtime Anytime on PS3 would be pretty damn nice too.

What I don't understand is why HBO Go has apps for damn near everything, but Max Go is pretty much only for mobile devices.  I want Max Go on my PS3 too, dammit!

HBO Go still hasn't come to PS4, and it was announced at the same time as the PS3 one that wasn't announced until after the PS4 had launched, so go figure.

Emo rock guy having his genitals fall off into the commode is probably the closest The Strain has come to character development.

Not true. That one guy's wife went from a devout rosary bead Catholic in one scene to feeding a stranger to her vampiric husband in the next.

Did anyone watch the new Sean Bean show?

I watched it last week (the pilot was available On Demand a week early).  PIlot wasn't outstanding or anything, but it was decent enough.  Kinda curious to see where they go with the conspiracy mystery they set up.  Main reason to watch is Bean.  He owned every scene he was in. 

Supporting cast was basically non-entities except for Ali Larter as Bean's boss/handler.  I didn't buy her as a sr. agent for a minute and the scene where she impersonates a stripper is ridiculous.

I know there's only a hand full of people on the board who watch Big Brother, but Derrick has been playing a perfect game. Although I'm sure something will mess up his reign at the top sooner or later, but this guy is playing the house like a fiddle, and no one suspects a thing. I'm predicting a Derrick/Cody/Caleb/Donny final 4.

Just got off a Netflix binge-watch of the first two seasons of Sons of Anarchy over at my buddy's place, burned through 3-13 of the first season and hit the imprisonment on the second. This show used to be reasonably believable, amazing. It is really funny seeing Henry Rollins as SUPERINTENSE but painfully polite white power asshole. I realized I've already seen a couple of these eps when I thought I was in the dark until season four before this. Another thing: 40 minute eps! When is SoA coming back, btw?

After doing a Wiki search I realized I started at season 3 instead of 4. I'm well-versed in how far off the loop the series goes and warned my friend who is currently digging into it, saying hell, at least it ain't Dexter. We've been through all this in the SoA thread.

HBO Go still hasn't come to PS4, and it was announced at the same time as the PS3 one that wasn't announced until after the PS4 had launched, so go figure.

Kinda nuts that only HBO and Starz offer their apps on devices you can play on your TV.  Of course, Starz only has it for Xbox and I think Roku.  I was looking through my Starz Play on my phone and was blown away by how many movies were on there, and got pissed that I can pretty much never enjoy it.

HBO is still part of the Time Warner family, but Time Warner Cable is actually a separate entity nowadays.  Comcast is about to debut a service where you can get HBO Go without an HBO cable subscription.  As for HBO "losing money", they make more money off of the contracts with the service providers than they would ever make off of people buying HBO Go.

So, I know I'm way late, and setting myself up for a serious "I told you so" but the pilot for Hannibal is incredible television.

Actually, I don't think a serious "I told you so" is warranted. I'm halfway through season 1, and I'm still not sold on it. It looks great, and Mikkelsen is interesting, but it's not essential viewing right now.

I watched the first two episodes last night.

I definitely liked them a lot.  Mikkelsen is spectacular, which should help it out a lot.

Then I got sidetracked today by re-re-re(who the fuck knows how many "re")-watching Firefly, which I've been doing off and on for a few weeks.

It doesn't matter how many times I see it, I am still always struck by just how incredibly different Objects in Space is from, basically, every other episode of television I have ever seen from any show.

Oh man, I was just thinking about Whodunit a couple days ago while watching this program called The Quest. Quest has basically the same premise except instead of a mystery/Clue format, they use LARPing instead. It's not nearly as good as Whodunit was though - mostly because they lack a character as fascinating and charismatic as Giles.

I really hope there is a S2 although with the summer winding down I imagine we'll have to wait until next year to actually see it. I can't imagine them airing it during the actual TV season because as fun as it is, it'd get absolutely obliterated against first run shows.