DVDVR Message Board

January 2014 NHL Thread

Big Fresh

Tortorella isn't allowed to turn on a smartphone for 15 days if you want to be really technical about that no contact thing.

Then again he strikes me as the kind of person that might not own one to begin with because buttonz.*

I do not own a smart phone.

He does!  I remember vividly on 24/7 a couple years back that he frequently texted a kid with cancer to encourage him.

My sister was asking about Tortorella (She doesn't really watch hockey but was in a sports bar while they were showing the CGY-VAN game and is genuinely mystified about the whole thing: "But, why would you send out your fighters to fight their fighters, wouldn't you be better off saving them to go after their good players?" which is really ruthlessly efficient and outside-the-box hockey thinking) because she thinks he's handsome and my basic answer was "He's actually a really good human being, like he was all involved with the kid going through cancer surgery, texting him after games and such and calling him to make sure he's doing his rehab and he's also heavily involved with rescued animals and animal-related charities...but he turns into kind of an obnoxious ass whenever hockey is involved."  

He's actually a pretty fascinating guy, when you get down to it.  I really hope at some point a writer gets unprecedented access to him while he's coaching and writes a book about him before he burns all his bridges and ends up a shallow shell of himself on the panel full-time at TSN.

• Like 1

Southampton have hired Ralph Krueger as a motivational speaker. Did they not see his stint in Edmonton?

To be fair, though, when looking at the Oilers last few post-MacTavish coaches.

Eakins 15-30-04-02 (Has won 29% of his games)

Krueger 19-22-04-03 (Won 46% of his games)

Renney  57-85-06-16 (Won 35% of his games)

Quinn 27-47-02-06 (Won 33% of his games)

Clearly, Krueger must be some sort of motivational wizard.

• Like 1

My friend was headed down to Philly for Flyers when I informed him game was cancelled. He promptly got off at the Princeton stop and headed back north to Newark for Devils instead. Hockey fans RULE!

Also, BELIEVE IN THE ISLES #JT91 #OURSAVIOUR

My friend was headed down to Philly for Flyers when I informed him game was cancelled. He promptly got off at the Princeton stop and headed back north to Newark for Devils instead. Hockey fans RULE!

Looks like the saviour will finish in a lottery pick situation again

Let me guess, you posted this when the Isles were down 2-0? 3 more points for JT, another win for the Isles, and another step closer to free playoff tickets for me. And they still don't have Vishnovski (their best defender) back.

Let me guess, you posted this when the Isles were down 2-0? 3 more points for JT, another win for the Isles, and another step closer to free playoff tickets for me. And they still don't have Vishnovski (their best defender) back.

No I posted it when I saw that only Calgary and Edmonton have less points that the future Brooklyn Islanders

They play in the East where everyone is bunched up (Isles are only 5 points out and are on fire). Half the teams in the east would be the worst non-Alberta team if they were in the West. And as I pointed out they are getting their key defender back who has missed almost the entire season. BeLIeve in the Isles!

The Islanders are 16 points clear of last in the east. What league's standings were you glancing at?

You haven't heard: my poor Sabres have been relegated to the AHL.

Got my ticket to the Isles-Rangers game at Yankee Stadium v2.0. Cost: $55 including shipping. Thanks StubHub! People are dumping like crazy because (and this is a shock) it's cold at night in late January In NY and people don't want to be outdoors at that time. I saw this coming a mile away, which is why I waited to get tickets on StubHub.

I almost want Dubnyk to shut us out just to watch the carnage now.

Another real stinker tonight. Only good thing about this year is being part of the social media descent into madness as all us fans try and amuse each other while the team makes idiots out of themselves.