DVDVR Message Board

January 2014 NHL Thread

Big Fresh

Holy shit Tortorella is trying to fight his way into the Calgary locker room at intermission.

That actually happened.

The best part of that whole incident, to me, was Brian McGrattan being a total pro; standing in the hallway keeping Tortorella from coming through and then holding back the Flames goalie coach from getting at him. That right there might have prevented an actual fight from breaking out (which would have been awesome too, but unfortunately, unlike me, the rest of society doesn't seem to appreciate it when real sports approximate pro wrestling).

So Daryl Katz put out a letter to Oilers fans today, the highlight of which is the claim that the Oilers are, to paraphrase, "only in the fourth year of the rebuild since we drafted Taylor Hall", and calling for further patience.

I'll give you all 3 guesses how well that's being received.

So Daryl Katz put out a letter to Oilers fans today, the highlight of which is the claim that the Oilers are, to paraphrase, "only in the fourth year of the rebuild since we drafted Taylor Hall", and calling for further patience.

I'll give you all 3 guesses how well that's being received.

umm... hmmm...

I doubt I need to go on a rant about how insanely stupid that is, but man. After the lockout the Blues were as bottomed out as it gets, but we had turned into a respectable, even if not particularly good, team in 3 years. In that stretch, we only had 2 top 5 picks: One of which had never played for us by then, and the other missed a full season to injury and was generally a let down his entire tenure here. And yet the Blues were still miles ahead of the Oilers in there rebuild who have had multiple top 5 picks.

I almost want the Oilers to turn it around at some point, but I have no clue how they are going to do it with there current management.

There's clearly a large degree of nepotism towards ex-Oilers in the Oilers franchise, but I don't think that's really news to anyone. They've convinced themselves "The Oiler Way" is real even though the last time we were favourites in a playoff series was 1992.

RNH and Yakupov weren't even alive then.

Having said that they're hardly the only NHL club that sticking within the hockey family is true of. Merely that when you suck at it for this long eventually it's hard to find anyone else to point fingers at, you'd think.

Lowe: “And lastly (talking loudly now) I’ll say that there’s one other guy in hockey today that is still working in the game that has won more Stanley Cups than me. So I think I know a little bit about winning, if there’s ever a concern.”

Kevin Lowe knows a thing or two about winning.

1) Pass to Gretzky

2) Pass to Messier

• Like 2

lol, thank you. I lost it when he said that. Even I felt bad for die hard Oiler fans at that point.

If they are ever going to turn it around, it starts with him getting shipped to a Florida retirement home.

That was the one thing in Katz's letter that bugged me. "Personal attacks on Kevin Lowe". It's not a personal attack. He's the Big Boss of a franchise and has been for years and he's overseen a completely disastrous period. From a coldly logical perspective, there's no reason not to have heat on him.

In other news, might as well point out that Tortorella got 15 days (6 games) suspension, and Hartley fined $25K.

That was the one thing in Katz's letter that bugged me. "Personal attacks on Kevin Lowe". It's not a personal attack. He's the Big Boss of a franchise and has been for years and he's overseen a completely disastrous period. From a coldly logical perspective, there's no reason not to have heat on him.

In other news, might as well point out that Tortorella got 15 days (6 games) suspension, and Hartley fined $25K.

Maybe Kevin Lowe really is retarded?  Therefore calling him a stupid retard is personal. :D