DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

The Bills are so stupid. Gave up next years first round pick to move up and take a receiver when they needed more help at other positions and then decided that because they got Mike Williams and drafted a receiver that they were so stacked at the position that they should trade Stevie Johnson. The fans are even better. Defending both of those trades is hilarious.

Watkins is gutted too.

• Like 1

Sam kissing his BF or whomever on ESPN made all sorts of sad losers cry on twitter. They immediately went and searched for hot man on man action on their phones as they hid in the basement.

• Like 3

Sam kissing his BF or whomever on ESPN made all sorts of sad losers cry on twitter. They immediately went and searched for hot man on man action on their phones as they hid in the basement.

A lot of people were saying that Sam wouldn't be drafted because of his sexual orientation but I don't know if that's true or not..He's really not that good from what I've seen.. I'm pulling for him but I don't know if he makes the team. Twitter will always be Twitter. Nothing there surprises me.

The Bills are so stupid. Gave up next years first round pick to move up and take a receiver when they needed more help at other positions and then decided that because they got Mike Williams and drafted a receiver that they were so stacked at the position that they should trade Stevie Johnson. The fans are even better. Defending both of those trades is hilarious.

Regarding the Stevie trade, that is actually what people say that don't know the Bills team.  Firstly, Stevie was only average last year, as much as I like him.  He isn't the prototypical 'outside' WR (not that fast, doesn't usually win jump balls), his skill set is better for the slot, so that is why Williams and Watkins were on the outside.  So for the slot it would have been him or Woods.  Woods is younger (obviously) and has much better hands.  So what we would have been looking at is this year either him getting benched in favor of Woods, or taking snaps from a younger WR.  Stevie is capped out, he won't get better, while Woods showed a lot of potential last year.  Then next spring he would have been cut since he would have been the 5th WR (Goodwin is the speedster and 4th WR).  Also people that are out of the loop don't realize there was talk in January of Stevie getting cut for the same reason - durability and catching issues, plus the younger WRs needing snaps.  So, it wasn't a surprise at all to Bills fans even if it is a bit sad since he was a fun player.  It isn't that Stevie was horrible, there just wasn't a spot for him with the players we had and the players we want to build up (Woods and Goodwin). Making jokes about the Bills is fun and all, I do it too, but trading a player that had 52 catches last year is hardly the worst thing we have done in recent memory, the Brown trade is easier fodder than the Stevie one.

• Like 1

A lot of people were saying that Sam wouldn't be drafted because of his sexual orientation but I don't know if that's true or not..He's really not that good from what I've seen.. I'm pulling for him but I don't know if he makes the team. Twitter will always be Twitter. Nothing there surprises me.

The dude wa defenive player of the year in the bet conference in college football. Athletically he i a bit behind, but him being drafted i fair.

Someone like Eva could go more in-depth on this because while I watch every Florida game I don't see EVERY SEC game but Sam got most of his sacks against weaker opponents and his teammate was the guy opposing defenses were more concerned with. Those conference awards don't mean a whole lot. It's completely believable that he was drafted where he was based on talent alone.. 

Just try avoiding all the words that contain the letter S. This may be somewhat limiting in hindsight.

This guy could never use your keyboard:
Vlcsnap-2010-03-20-23h47m25s217.png

Someone like Eva could go more in-depth on this because while I watch every Florida game I don't see EVERY SEC game but Sam got most of his sacks against weaker opponents and his teammate was the guy opposing defenses were more concerned with. Those conference awards don't mean a whole lot. It's completely believable that he was drafted where he was based on talent alone.. 

Well, he had 11.5 sacks on the season. 9.0 of them came in three games (against Arkansas State, Vanderbilt, and Florida).

I'm happy he got drafted. That said, he's going to have a hell of a time making the Rams' roster since they're absolutely loaded at defensive end and he doesn't have the speed to play linebacker.

Connor Shaw of USCarolina gets to play backup to Johnny Football. Works for me, Shaw is not very good, IMO.

Tahj Boyd of Clemson is now working with Vick and what's his face at the Jets. I think he's talented enough to be a good career backup.

Regarding the Stevie trade, that is actually what people say that don't know the Bills team.  Firstly, Stevie was only average last year, as much as I like him.  He isn't the prototypical 'outside' WR (not that fast, doesn't usually win jump balls), his skill set is better for the slot, so that is why Williams and Watkins were on the outside.  So for the slot it would have been him or Woods.  Woods is younger (obviously) and has much better hands.  So what we would have been looking at is this year either him getting benched in favor of Woods, or taking snaps from a younger WR.  Stevie is capped out, he won't get better, while Woods showed a lot of potential last year.  Then next spring he would have been cut since he would have been the 5th WR (Goodwin is the speedster and 4th WR).  Also people that are out of the loop don't realize there was talk in January of Stevie getting cut for the same reason - durability and catching issues, plus the younger WRs needing snaps.  So, it wasn't a surprise at all to Bills fans even if it is a bit sad since he was a fun player.  It isn't that Stevie was horrible, there just wasn't a spot for him with the players we had and the players we want to build up (Woods and Goodwin). Making jokes about the Bills is fun and all, I do it too, but trading a player that had 52 catches last year is hardly the worst thing we have done in recent memory, the Brown trade is easier fodder than the Stevie one.

This is more my point.  You just took the best receiver the Bills have had the last few years and you rationalized your thinking into making him the 5th best WR on the team.  Mike Williams- he's got skill and talent and he's a big guy but to be clear, has yet to go over 1000yds in his career thus far.  Watkins- yet to play a down in the league.  

• Like 1

This is more my point.  You just took the best receiver the Bills have had the last few years and you rationalized your thinking into making him the 5th best WR on the team.  Mike Williams- he's got skill and talent and he's a big guy but to be clear, has yet to go over 1000yds in his career thus far.  Watkins- yet to play a down in the league.  

"Best receiver" was when comparing him to James Hardy, TJ Graham, Marcus Easley, Ruvell Martin, Donald Jones, and Roscoe Parrish, none of which are current starters on the Bills.  Stevie is a slot receiver, that is his build and skill set.  That's not my opinion, both Stevie and the Bills front office have said as much.  You won't usually see Wes Welker on the outside either for the same reason.  I'm sorry if you don't understand where WRs line up on the field, it is not about being "5th Best", it is about what their skills are and where they line up.  Outside you try to have your taller/faster receivers, the slot receiver is generally the good route runner, and the 4th receiver on the field is the "burner" that can stretch the field.  He would have only have to be the 2nd best WR in the slot (and most Bills fan would agree they'd rather have Woods than Stevie in the slot since he has better hands, is younger, and is more durable) to be 5th on the depth chart since he doesn't have the size and skillset to be optimized on the outside.  That is what the 49ers got him for - to play in the slot, not on the outside.

As far as Mike Williams goes, in 2012, Williams had 50 less yards but a higher AVG and TDs, and less fumbles and drops than Stevie.  Plus he fits better on the outside.  The Bills have desperately needed WRs on the outside the last few years, Stevie was the 'best' Bills receiver by default, we didn't any other receivers, which is why three were drafted and one was traded for in the last two years.  Now he has competition and he was expendable, I dunno how else to explain it to you.  I know you probably aren't used to throwing around baseless insults of teams around people that actually do follow both the team and understand football, hope that doesn't throw you off too much ;)

Seriously though, make fun of the Bryce Brown trade, that one was more silly.

Yeah, he'll be in the slot but lets be honest...Bills fans throwing a parade because he's gone is not all to do with dropped balls. There's also some of that Sammy Watkins being the new big thing in Buffalo so now they will act like Stevie never did anything. That's how fans are. They are quick to bury you and move on to the next guy.

Watkins will be great and that's fine but the important thing is the 49ers receiving corps is now complete.

I haven't seen any parades, I think Bills fans like Stevie.  It is just an acceptance that this isn't a bad thing, as a sadly hardcore Bills fan I can confirm that at many points last year some fans were very frustrated with Stevie.  As fans are of course of all teams.  But over at the sbnation Bills fan site its about 50/50 on people happy or sad he is gone.  But I think it helps both teams and hopefully everyone will win.  I mean we have won six games each of the last three years, we don't get overly sentimental when a player leaves, what is the worst that could happen?  ;)

• Like 1