DVDVR Message Board

Anchorman 2 Thread

TimLivingston

To be honest I was slightly disappointed.  The third act is incredible but there were a lot of slow parts that sort of lulled the audience away for a bit.  I was happy that Wiig was not featured too much.  Rudd, Koechner, and Carell seem to disappear for a while in the second half of the movie.  The blind scenes were hilarious

Also the social commentary was a little heavy handed and this is coming from someone who loves South Park more than anything.  Not saying I didn't agree with the message but they were really laying it on thick

• Like 1

There is a fucking minotaur and a werewolf in this movie, along with copius amounts of smoking crack. The more I keep thinking about it, the more I like this better than the first one, even in the face of the massive lull at the end of the second act. It's just the silliest movie I've ever seen and I love silly, much like I love satire, and this delivered on both fronts.

IT OPENS WITH THE SONG WHITE LINES PLAYING. My God, so awesome.

• 3 months later...

My fiance thought I was crazy because I was laughing to the point of tears in that third act while popping for all of the insane cameos before screaming MINOTAUR when the Minotaur appeared.

I could have done without all of the attempts at awkward racial humor. I know what they were attempting, but it just didn't work and it just was not funny.

It took a long time for Anchorman to go from a movie I didn't like at all to a movie I want to be watching at all times, so I think the same may apply to the sequel. It was funny, but I didn't love it.

BUT...now that I'm a day removed I keep quoting it. 

Highlights:

Brick's sad delivery that 'Leon goes home' when it's cloudy out.

"THEY'RE COMING IN THROUGH THE BACK DOOR"

LOWEST OF LIGHTS

That fucking kid was horrendous

Well, it was incredibly goddamn funny, but felt way too long. Maybe it's just me watching the PG-13 version since I got it from Redbox but it could have been raunchier too. The portraits of the newscasters on the wall were too good and I might have to change my Venom pic to Brick's one.

• 4 weeks later...

Anchorman is one of my favourite comedies of all time, but this was pretty awful. The disc I had was a super duper special edition or something with a 2 and a half hour cut, and that's way too fucking long for any comedy. I just wanted the thing to end. Barely laughed at all. The only things that were of interest were some of Brick's lines (pre-meeting Kristen Wiig) and the cameos at the end, though the fight scene itself was blah.