DVDVR Message Board

Talk Is Jericho

BrianS81177

Part 2!

Starts a few seconds before 30min into the show.

"Vince Sr loved Dr. D David Schultz"

Jim Barnett impersonation

"I can't believe you still have all your hair" "Because you're not tall enough to see the top of my head"

Hogan/Vince ribbing Jim Barnett

Hogan woulda put over more guys if not for Verne or Vince

"Where's Mr. T?" "He's sleeping in the park with some homeless people"

Hogan got Mr. T's entourage into Wrestlemania

Blassie had him doing top rope kneedrops without pads in Japan

Claimed his first Japanese match was vs Riki Choshu in Choshu's debut (Checked CageMatch: Hogan faced Choshu on his 2nd night of his first Japanese tour in 1980, but Choshu had been working for 6 years by that time)

Claimed he would have exchanged the belt with Piper if Piper could have been relied upon to do a job.

Claimed that Bad News Brown wouldn't job for him

Vince ribbed Hogan by having Kurt Angle suplex him a lot.

Andre the Giant hated Big John Studd (we knew that). Andre also hated Randy Savage. "The only reason Randy's alive is because of Miss Elizabeth"

Andre beat up Hogan one night for getting a flight attendant at ringside at the Capitol Centre

Hulk brought in Danny Hodge to be the referee for his final Japan match as WWF Champ (vs Fujinami). Which actually happened on 6/11/1985. He worked 2 more matches not for the title on 6/12 and 6/13.

Andre liked Hogan after that match too.

Hogan used a legal pad to plan his match with Andre. Hogan thinks Vince/Andre was ribbing him about Andre going over him

He was expecting Andre to kick out of the legdrop at WM3

Hogan claimed he didn't know Rock/Austin were coming out at WM30 and blamed his Silverdome thing on being asked about Andre

Hogan and Macho Man made up before Macho died. Macho Man walked into Hogan's back surgery by surprise one day and they reconciled. He planned to have a cookout at Randy's mom's house but then he died.

HHH/Vince told Hogan to not talk to the Warrior, but he did anyways and apologized.

Hogan claims he wanted to turn heel in 1990 on the Warrior.

Various stuff about the turn, and WCW and work ethic of guys in WCW. Mention of Jay Leno putting Hogan in an "armbar" and getting on all the covers

Gangbangers once saw Hulk driving in Oakland and shouted out "Hollywood! WCW!"

Hogan claiming that the NWO was too big and should have been kept like the Shield.

Hogan felt like an idiot when he realized Bray Wyatt's father was Mike Rotundo.

Hogan asked about another match, can powerwalk through airports, is in training, and won't say anything bad about Dixie Carter since she paid him through all the back surgeries.

Hogan pitches a team of Cena/Sting/Hogan v. the Authority. Said that he can't be working some unover guy.

Also, Hulk Hogan said that he didn't actually audition for Metallica. But he sent in an audition tape to play bass for Metallica once

• Like 1

Yeah, I took that to mean that he can't go out in a heatless match and needs somebody who is over to help carry him through the match. He knows he can't really go and any match he does will need all the help it can get to keep it from being a stinker/being crapped on and from people saying "Hogan shouldn't be in the ring anymore". It was not a Hogan ego thing saying that, but a humble thing admitting that he would need every advantage he can get to help keep the audience's attention and to be carried through it as much as possible.

Probably best Hogan interviews of all-time. Thanks for the fact-checking, Cobra Commander. On the whole, Hogan comes off well.

I always wonder about WM III. Hogan has spun so many different stories about that night. From the outside, it seems pretty simple that the whole point of the match was Hogan wins decisively but he and others always spin all these various fears and concerns. 

And about Hogan not coming back to work an "unover guy." Plenty of guys like Jericho, Foley, Flair etc. wasted comebacks and, in Foley and Jericho's case, kind of took a bit of luster off their career with meaningless comebacks and programs. Does anyone really wanna see the Hulkster get Sister Abigail'd?*

*actually Bray Wyatt killing Hulkamania would be a pretty effective WrestleMania program.

And about Hogan not coming back to work an "unover guy." Plenty of guys like Jericho, Foley, Flair etc. wasted comebacks and, in Foley and Jericho's case, kind of took a bit of luster off their career with meaningless comebacks and programs. Does anyone really wanna see the Hulkster get Sister Abigail'd?*

I'm usually just glad to see my old favorites back again.  Yeah, Sting/Foley '09 was nowhere near Sting/Cactus 92; but what the hell do you expect?  As long as everyone does their job properly, I'm fine with watching the guys go through the motions.  All they need are killer promos leading up to the match anyway.  

And hell yes, it'd be perfectly appropriate one of Hogan's last matches was putting over Bray Wyatt.  Hulk doesn't have too many losses at Wrestlemania, does he?  (Okay, he's got precisely five Xs in the L column as far as I remember)

Brock killed Hogan dead. That's good enough for me.

Until Hulk rose from the dead three years later to slay Shawn Michaels at SummerSlam 05. And a year after that to beat Randy Orton.

And Hulk was obviously not Mr. America.

Like how Hogan completely called out Bill Apter for recently trying to take credit for getting him the Rocky III spot. Apter was on some podcast recently and gave a pretty convincing tale on how it all came to be - my favorite wrestling stories are ones that have eight different versions of it.

I always wonder about WM III. Hogan has spun so many different stories about that night. From the outside, it seems pretty simple that the whole point of the match was Hogan wins decisively but he and others always spin all these various fears and concerns.

I think with Andre knowing the sun was setting on his career and a lot of people have said he could be moody, there was probable concern on Vince's part that Andre was gonna fall on Hogan and get the win. In Heenan's book he talked about Vince being concerned that Andre was going to go into business for himself. So I kind of side with Hogan's version of Vince spending some time talking Andre into the finish.

It was also the biggest event in the history of WWF at that point. You want everything to go perfectly and worry that something that's probably far fetched is going to happen to fuck everything up.

It was also the biggest event in the history of WWF at that point. You want everything to go perfectly and worry that something that's probably far fetched is going to happen to fuck everything up.

Wasn't there a story that Vince tore up Andre's payday and gave him a six-figure bonus on top of whatever they agreed upon?

Brock killed Hogan dead. That's good enough for me.

Until Hulk rose from the dead three years later to slay Shawn Michaels at SummerSlam 05. And a year after that to beat Randy Orton.

And Hulk was obviously not Mr. America.

He wasn't brother. He took a lie detector test.

Like how Hogan completely called out Bill Apter for recently trying to take credit for getting him the Rocky III spot. Apter was on some podcast recently and gave a pretty convincing tale on how it all came to be - my favorite wrestling stories are ones that have eight different versions of it.

Yeah that left me scratching my head. Apter seems pretty sane and when he tells his story of getting Hulk to Rocky 3, he sounds pretty damn genuine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Still need to listen to that.  I finished Wednesday's episode with Trujilo.  I was excited to see him interview somebody from Metallica.  Robert is laid back and seems like a decent guy, fun interview.  And they're right, he looks a lot like Reigns.  Also had a 2 year old know every theme which was pretty cool.

Interview with Lanny is great. Pretty incredible how far and above Jericho is over everyone else as a podcast host. 

Jericho's a better interviewer (though Austin is very very good himself) but he's the shits to listen to when he's by himself just talking. That's the one area where I would say he falls short, especially compared to Austin who's had some damn funny stuff when he's just rambling into the mic by himself.