DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Releases

I already preordered a PS4, but I'm starting to get second thoughts, if I should have.

For one there aren't any must-have day one release titles for me personally and secondly there are still so many PS3 I still have to get through.

I would recommend waiting.

I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means, so I'm definitely waiting. I do think when an Elder Scrolls game comes out for one of the next generation of consoles I will be drawn to a store to buy the console and game like I'm being pulled by a magnetic force.

I already preordered a PS4, but I'm starting to get second thoughts, if I should have.For one there aren't any must-have day one release titles for me personally and secondly there are still so many PS3 I still have to get through.

I would recommend waiting.
I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means, so I'm definitely waiting. I do think when an Elder Scrolls game comes out for one of the next generation of consoles I will be drawn to a store to buy the console and game like I'm being pulled by a magnetic force.
Then you have some time to wait since the next Elder Scrolls is the MMO

And it's going to cost $15/month to play it as well. 

On the console launches, if you're a MS fan and plan to get an XB1, I really hope you don't get one at launch.  When the other system has already put out their release date and then you still elect to not release your console before your competitor, it can only mean one thing, that it wouldn't be ready.  And with the chatter from developers that they still haven't received final units, I'd just be scared to buy one at launch given their history.  RROD and all. 

I think this is the proper place for this. Dark Souls II is looking for PS3 beta testers.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/05/dark-souls-ii-beta-sign-ups-now-open-on-playstation-3?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

EDIT: It is only available in EU not NA for now. Go to games, latest then games again and scroll all the way to the end and go to latest games and it will be in there

AC Liberation is getting ported to the PS3 and 360, no launch yet. Go ahead and take even more of my money.

Yeah, that was my reaction, too.  Ubisoft could probably release Assassin's Creed Crossword Puzzle and I'd buy it. 

Valiant Heroes from Ubisoft looks like it's going to make you cry and also uses the Ubi Art framework.

AC Liberation is getting ported to the PS3 and 360, no launch yet. Go ahead and take even more of my money.

I buy pretty much every AC game. I guess I'll re-buy AC Liberation HD for more trophies!

Not an upcoming release but a potential release:

Take-Two has filed a new trademark for its open-world classic Bully (aka Canis Canem Edit) which covers "video game programs and software," among other things.

The trademark application, sent on July 25th, will protect "computer and video game programs and software; downloadable digital materials, namely, wallpapers, screensavers, digital music files, and graphics, videos, films, multimedia files, live action programs,

While this could just be Take-Two protecting its brand, it opens the door for speculation on a possible sequel to the original, which was developed by Rockstar Vancouver (since disbanded) and first released on the PlayStation 2 back in 2006.

Credit: ign.com

Yeah! Bully/Canis Canem Edit is Rockstar Games most underrated game.

Dishonored GotY comes out Oct 8. So glad I waited, pretty excited to finally play that.

One of three games I got last Christmas (WWE '13 and Batman: Arkham City: Game of the Year Edition). I completed WWE '13 early in the year and just finished everything in the main story of Batman: Arkham City. I have Harley Quinn's Revenge to do on that now. Haven't even tried Dishonoured yet.

Microsoft in retaliation releases some spin...

“Ten years ago, you could argue that a console’s power was summed up in terms of a few of its specs, but Xbox One is designed as a powerful machine to deliver the best blockbuster games today and for the next decade.

Xbox One architecture is much more complex than what any single figure can convey. It was designed with balanced performance in mind, and we think the games we continue to show running on near-final hardware demonstrate that performance. In the end, we’ll let the consoles and their games speak for themselves.” 

Like everything else with Microsoft,  that whole PR release reads of "we know more about this shit than you do" while Microsoft hides behind their hardware prowess (yeah, they designed Direct X, we get it Microsoft). I guess Windows 8, Surface & Windows 8 Phone are "more complex than what any single figure can convey" too when all three of those suck.

The fact that all Microsoft talks about with their system is bullshit features I did not want (Kinect 2.0, that snap-in garbage, paying money to make f*ckin' Skype calls, paying money to browse the f*ckin' internet, etc.), the 'power of the cloud' and their games which all look awful, then yeah, of course the PS4 will be 50% more powerful -- much of that system is designed around actually playing video games.

Also, ten years ago, I don't think Microsoft would have even cared about trying to be a $500 cable box so I can watch The Price Is Right, they would have cared about making excellent games.

My fear (which has a basis in reality) is that Microsoft will moneyhat publishers to handcuff third party games and force console parity. So multiplatform games will run great on PS4 but will look obviously held back so that Microsoft's feelings aren't hurt. I say screw that.

MS are a bunch of idiots obviously.  They pretty much handled every step of this console release the wrong way and they've forfeited the main advantage they had over Sony in the current gen which was having hardware that was easier to develop for.  All the multi-plat stuff that used to be develped for 360 first is now being developed for the PS4 first because they're more developer friendly. 

I guess Windows 8, Surface & Windows 8 Phone are "more complex than what any single figure can convey" too when all three of those suck

I will disagree with the sentiment of WP8.  It's just a great design and easy to use and probably the best phone OS out right now.  It just doesn't have the app catalog to compete.