DVDVR Message Board

2013 NFL: WEEK 15

Dolfan in NYC

He might be better off just calling it a career, collecting the money Snyder will still owe him, and getting one of those cushy studio jobs, and waiting around to see how his HOF case plays out down the road.

He has no HOF case outside of two Super Bowl rings and if that is the qualification, he can get in line behind Tom Flores.

Oh BTW - Flores was another guy who won SB rings as a player and coach

Maybe the Bears are sitting McCown down to get him ready for the offseason...

The only way I know how to respond is by giving you a double axehandle from the top of the cage. So please make your way to Chicago so I can get this out of my system.
  • Like 1

I'm with Rippa, actually. As a Bears fan, this move makes such little sense. Why Trestman isn't going with the hot hand is beyond me. The Browns are no joke and it feels like that offense is more McCown's offense than it is Cutler's. If McCown is suffering, or if the Bears are up big, then bring in Cutler. I guess you could say the same about bringing in McCown, but I at least feel more comfortable about McCown keeping the team in the game than I do Cutler keeping the team in the game.

I'm with Rippa, actually. As a Bears fan, this move makes such little sense. Why Trestman isn't going with the hot hand is beyond me. The Browns are no joke and it feels like that offense is more McCown's offense than it is Cutler's. If McCown is suffering, or if the Bears are up big, then bring in Cutler. I guess you could say the same about bringing in McCown, but I at least feel more comfortable about McCown keeping the team in the game than I do Cutler keeping the team in the game.

Makes sense to me. McKown is playing some slick ball for sure, but Cutler was playing his best before injury and you gotta see if he really can be the franchise guy before you go into negotiations with him at the end of the season.

The idea of seeing what Cutler can do for next year is a solid point, but even if that wasn't part of the equation I would still start Cutler if he is healthy.  We can't afford to start someone who is a game manager at this point because our defense is a travesty.  

McCown has been great against bad defenses (Cowboys, injured Packers) and mediocre against average defenses (Vikings, *Rams).  He is playing better than any of us could hope for, but the numbers are inflated by the poor quality of competition, our increasingly terrible defense (we have to throw more) and a bunch of dropped interceptions (2 or 3 in the Cowboy's game alone).

Cutler was playing well before he went down.  McCown is great and all, but he is still 3-2 against 5 beatable teams and those losses sting.  I was there live when the Rams single covered Brandon 40 yards down field.  I watched us lose a game we had no business losing against the Vikings.  Also, it's not like he hasn't had hot stretches before (I think he even won his job back from Kurt Warner for a couple games), but those stretches end.

Here is my main point.  We have to win out no matter what, and while McCown is the safer option, we have absolutely no chance of beating a playoff team with a combo of McCown and the Bears D.  Cutler might lose one of these next three, but he can also beat a good defense.  He is one of 5 or 6 guys in the league who can make throws that are indefensible.  If we somehow do win out, and the Lions fuck it up like we know they will, Da Bears could go into Seattle with a 0% chance of winning or we could go into Seattle with a 5% chance.  I'll take the 5%

*That group might be a little better than average

I'm not sure what I would do. Here's the thing with McCown. The guy is 34-years old and has bounced around the league for over a decade. He's a solid backup and is on a major hot streak but it's hard to believe he's figured it out and is going to play like this for the remainder of the season. I'm not sure you can throw him out there and risk him blowing a huge game while a healthy Cutler sits on the bench.

McCown has heart though.

I was going to make up a penis joke because I wanted to be silly.

So I was like "Okay - this will work better if he has a hot wife"

And yeah... apparently McCown married a former call girl.

I had no idea what to do with that piece of information.

EDIT - WAIT NEVERMIND!!!!

That is CADE McCown who married the former call girl.

Josh McCown's wife/girlfriend seems totally non call girlish

I actually grew up with a couple of families named McKown, and I don't pay enough attention to what I'm writing.

EDIT: HA! I DID ONCE!

Something tells me...

Suh4.PNG

Josh McCown should be ready to jump in at a moment's notice.