DVDVR Message Board

CONTRECOUP XIX - 4 Mai 2024

HHH whiffing on Okada and Ospreay and instead bringing in all the worst Bullet Club guys is a great fucking bit. Let’s keep it going with Chase Owens next.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Missed the show as it was my Auntie's 60th birthday do. Looking forward to next week's RAW:

King of the Ring tournament:

• Drew McIntyre vs. Finn Balor.
  • Kofi Kingston vs. Rey Mysterio.
  • Gunther vs. Sheamus.
  • Ricochet vs. Ilja Dragunov.

Can't wait for Gunther vs. Sheamus III. The Clash at the Castle 2022 match was my 2022 MOTY. Gave it *****.

I've seen some matches have hiccups but whatever happened in the women's tag title match was beyond a hiccup. Someone really got lost or forgot a spot as there was a solid two minutes where they were re-setting where in the match they were as there was clearly confusion. I don't know if it was Jade or Kairi that lost track of things but its rare at this level to see them take that long to get back on the same page.

A pretty easy three hours of wrestling to watch. A hot crowd always helps, they were as expected really into it. Didn't love everything but the street fight was good, the women's triple threat was really good, and the main event was solid. I have trouble complaining about a super show that I paid $6 for, I got my money's worth. I feel like if it was anyone else the internet would be giving Cody a huge side-eye for kicking out of a Burning Hammer at a one count but "fighting spirit" spots never bothered me so it is what it is.

Orton/KO vs. Solo/Tama was good. Loved how it started with the big brawl and chaos pre-match before Aldis turned it into a street fight. Despite being the worst of the Tongans I did like how they screwed with expectations again and had Tanga Loa pop up here instead of Jacob Fatu. Makes me curious just what the coming Bloodline Civil War in the Fall will look like.

Bayley vs. Naomi vs. Tiffany was good with nice action and everyone getting moments to shine. Finish could have been a bit stronger though it wasn't bad.

Priest/Jey was surprisingly better than expected with crowd hanging on to everything going on and even buying into the nearfall from Priest's first chokeslam. They were ecstatic when Jey kicked out. Thought the Judgement Day interference was used well enough without getting in the way.

Kabuki Warriors vs. Bianca/Jade was a little frustrating as it was gearing up to the best women's tag titles match in forever with the pacing, action, and build. Unfortunately someone screwed up and got lost late in during Jade's longer segment. The sad thing is I'm pretty sure it was on Kairi and Asuka based on how the ref acted. Things came back together well enough a minute or two later, but it brought this one down from a decent high.

Cody/AJ delivered the big main event match you would expect with a fantastic crowd adding a lot to an already good match. Only wish it went just a few minutes shorter as you started to feel the length towards the end.

The matches were solid-good even with the frustrating aspects of the tag titles match. The hot crowd added a ton and make me hope they hit up France again next year. Good show overall.

• Like 1

I just finished the show. I thought every match was sold the women tag was a little off but I part with the ref not counting because of the legal women on one it led credibility because it was like trying to treat it like a shoot but it seemed to really confuse people for a second. 

I know some people hate the pacing of these current era PLEs but I enjoy it because they seem to be structured to give a handful of matches a decent amount of time. I enjoy shows like this where you don't try to have the whole card on a PLE

I really do take back my thinking that they needed to add another match or two. Each match having plenty of time to tell a story is really nice and I like that the Smackdowns before PLEs tend to have at least one or two matches that could be PLE matches.

I get why the miscommunication in the Women's Tag Title match is probably going be the most talked about thing but the crowd reaction with the sequence Jade used to get into Jaded was amazing. 

They need to have different international cities make videos of how loud they can get as a competition each year in an attempt to get Backlash in their city. 

• Like 2

Not sure about which thread this should be a part, but a reporter asked Hunter after the show about Drew Gulak and/or if it was related to Ronda’s comments. 

from what I understand, Hunter took the opportunity to badmouth some of the wrestling press.  Sapp said WWE PR told him that Hunter didn’t mean to lump Frigthful in that group he chastised, even thought he did, and I guess maybe Mike Johnson. Not been a good few months for Mike and those post show pressers.

Cody/AJ was just fine to me. It didn’t seem like they ever really found a groove together. Maybe they had a hard time with the crowd reactions?

The Burning Hammer kick out was one of the dumber things I’ve seen recently, and I’m shocked two pros like them would do something like that. I’m usually on the side defending fighting spirit spots, but this one was just absent of any meaningful context. The Burning Hammer means nothing to the history of AJ, or Cody, or WWE, or France. It was totally empty, a 1-count and fire-up just for the sake of doing it. It almost seemed desperate, which is weird because the crowd could not have been more with them.

Posted (edited)

Tanga Loa already doing Tanga Loa things. Incredible job by the ref and production team to save this on screen.

Edited by EVA
  • Haha 1

If Jacob wasn’t presumably signed already and just waiting to debut, you’d think someone pulled a Johnny Ace and hired the wrong second generation Polynesian wrestler.

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Which brother did the hilariously botched 619 I saw from Japan? 

Tanga Loa. He is the worst of his brothers from what I have gathered and what little I have seen. Still befuddled how he made it to WWE before them or any of the other Polynesians in NJPW the past decade. 

27 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Tanga Loa. He is the worst of his brothers from what I have gathered and what little I have seen. Still befuddled how he made it to WWE before them or any of the other Polynesians in NJPW the past decade. 

Oh, would YOU like to tell Haku that his son doesn't get to be in WWE, just because he "sucks"? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, you'd think Fale would have ticked so many boxes for them that they'd have had to made him an offer. 

To be fair with Fale it may have just been that he didn't want to go. Supposedly Balor tried to convince him for years to come over.

11 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Oh, would YOU like to tell Haku that his son doesn't get to be in WWE, just because he "sucks"? 

Well obviously no, but I would have at least tried to get Tama and Hikuleo first. 

56 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Most of the clips and comments about Tanga Loa come from his return after he tore his MCL and was out for close to a year and a half. So there is that.

24 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Well obviously no, but I would have at least tried to get Tama and Hikuleo first. 

Hikuleo is still reportedly under NJPW contract but well when that's up...

2 hours ago, EVA said:

Tanga Loa already doing Tanga Loa things. Incredible job by the ref and production team to save this on screen.

I don't want to come across as defending Tanga Loa as he is a bad wrestler, but hard to know if that was his fault. My understanding is there is a production crew member under the ring (you can actually see someone else under it after Tanga comes out) and I don't know if that person is the one with something in his ear to get the cue. Course, he could have gotten the cue and was not in the right position. Either way, great camera work as I didn't notice that live.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eivion said:

To be fair with Fale it may have just been that he didn't want to go. Supposedly Balor tried to convince him for years to come over.

Well, they signed Tama and Tanga together, so