DVDVR Message Board

The 2024 NBA Playoffs

RIPPA

So Patrick Beverley is clearly gonna get a talking to from the league

First he fired a ball into the stands while he was on the bench - hitting fans both times

Then after the game, he refused to answer a question from a female reporter because, and I am not making this up, "she didn't subscribe to his podcast"

Side note - you would know none of this happened if you relied on ESPN for your coverage

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Add the Sixers to the mixed reaction 🙂

I'll note, Knicks fans are going to paper this over because they won, but the Bockers blew a 20+ point lead in the first and then an 8 point lead with about 2 minutes to go.  

They may get by Indiana, but Boston is going to crush them. 

Hearing how this was handled on ESPN concerning the Beverly mess, it really makes me hope that this story of "NBA on TNT" and more importantly Inside the NBA being gone isn't true 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Hearing how this was handled on ESPN concerning the Beverly mess, it really makes me hope that this story of "NBA on TNT" and more importantly Inside the NBA being gone isn't true 

For the record - ESPN finally posted a story after Beverly finally "apologized"

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40075205/patrick-beverley-vows-better-fan-media-spats

28 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

For the record - ESPN finally posted a story after Beverly finally "apologized"

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40075205/patrick-beverley-vows-better-fan-media-spats

Is there a particular reason why ESPN would even want to drag their feet on this but not Ernie Johnson and the TNT guys(because that's how I heard about it)?

It also doesn't help that Barkley a couple days ago called "NBA media" a bunch of cowards who want to be friends with the players.  Granted some of the TNT guys do that as well

Sucks the Bucks lost but no Giannis and no Lillard meant bad times.  Plus I believe the Pacers had their number throughout the season anyway so it wasn't much of a surprise for me.

As for Beverly it was a dumb move.  Even if the Pacers fan was doing whatever throughout the game you don't throw stuff at them or do anything remotely physical.  That's what security is for and if they couldn't handle that then some blame should go on them.  But Beverly is an idiot and if Bucks future was uncertain I have a hard time believing they'll keep him.

32 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Is there a particular reason why ESPN would even want to drag their feet on this but not Ernie Johnson and the TNT guys(because that's how I heard about it)?

Potential direction to go with that would be that Patrick Beverly has been used as a talking head in the post-season when his teams have been eliminated. I know he did some First Take and NBA Today appearances last post-season.

Posted (edited)

Tomorrow's games will tell the story, but I get the feeling we're in for two boring second round series and two batshit crazy ones.

Jamal Murray just made the money hand gesture at one of the refs and got away with it.  Granted, he was arguing a bullshit call, but...

Edited by Contentious C

Wow the Pacers got absolutely hosed by the refs in New York tonight. I’ll never understand how the NBA will take an exciting finish and decide the game with questionable ref calls and free throws.

LET THEM PLAY. 

nah everybody wants to watch Zach Zarba make the tough call on an illegal screen or a foul on the inbound.

so stupid 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Wow the Pacers got absolutely hosed by the refs in New York tonight. I’ll never understand how the NBA will take an exciting finish and decide the game with questionable ref calls and free throws.

LET THEM PLAY. 

nah everybody wants to watch Zach Zarba make the tough call on an illegal screen or a foul on the inbound.

so stupid 

Well, to be fair, Philly got fucked in MSG in game 2 because the refs ignored two blatant fouls (and ignored Nick Nurse calling time out)

And then TNT rubs it in on Denver by playing the nWo Wolfpack theme song as the game goes to halftime. Jesus that was crazy. Denver HAS to start punching back instead of shot hunting. None of it's going to be easy; if you're the champs, then take and make the contested ones.

Posted (edited)

If Minnesota wins this series, we'll be guaranteed to tie the NBA record for most consecutive years with different NBA champions at six. Last and only time it happened was 1975 to 1980 when the Warriors, Celtics, Blazers, Bullets, Sonics and Lakers each grabbed a title before Boston broke the streak.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Forgot the Sonics title in there.

Damnit. I even looked it up because I can never remember which order the Bullets-Sonics titles went and then still somehow just skipped them.

9 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Forgot the Sonics title in there.

I'll never miss an opportunity to post it:

Also, Jamal Murray is probably going to get a fine and may get suspended for Game 3 for throwing a heating pad on to the court during play... twice.

Posted (edited)

Derrick is going off in the third for Boston, but it'd be just a little too on the nose to change the team name to the Boston Whites.

Edited by Contentious C

Mitchell Robinson has a stress fracture and is out 6-8 weeks (which would be deep into the Finals), so he's probably done for the year.