DVDVR Message Board

The 2024 NBA Playoffs

RIPPA

I'd say the toughest part about watching the playoffs this year is just seeing the wear and tear on the players. Luka Doncic is a fucking zombie right now. And I can''t believe Thibs is still running his players into the ground like he did in Chicago. It's like he builds his teams around players who don't want to leave the game, even if it's for their own good. What Jalen Brunson is doing for that team is legendary shit tho.

And now there's an article going around quoting a supposed Dallas assistant coach that Luka's teammates don't like playing with him because he hogs the ball.

I didn't think he that bad. I mean PJ Washington scored 29 too.

Doncic was much better about finding the open man when he was getting doubled, and getting it out. His worst possessions were the ones that last a couple of seconds and consisted of "dance dance step back 3". When it goes in, he's a legend, when it bricks, it's just the worst. Like why settle for that?

The real mystery is the unnamed Mav who played this prank during the presser.

NSFW

It's the playoffs indeed.

• Haha 1

Both the Nuggets on a whole and Jokic answered the bell finally. 24-14-9-3-3 +30 is a hell of a stat line, especially when you are spending the game being defended frequently by the four times DPOY.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

I'm no Dallas fan, but Luka takes a Rambis-like beating in nearly every game of theirs I've seen.

I watch literally every Mavs game, and dude gets the absolute shit kicked out of him every night. It's finally catching up to him at the worst time.

There is no reason that OKC shouldn't be up 3-0 right now, given how pedestrian Luka and Kyrie have been. You can't feel great about getting beaten by PJ Washington, Josh Green and Derek Lively twice in a row, especially when you have the supposed MVP runner up and coach of the year.

Edited by RandomAct

That's more like it.  Fucking *great* games out of Holiday and Brown.  Kinda crazy to listen to the Cleveland crowd be even that raucous when they were down 10+ for the entire quarter.  Hopefully Monday deflates them a bit more.

6 hours ago, Contentious C said:

JESUS TAPDANCING CHRIST, maybe quit shit-talking Jamal Murray, guys.

The replay featuring Murray staring at Kevin Harlan as he calls the shot is amazing. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 12:52 PM, jaedmc said:

I'd say the toughest part about watching the playoffs this year is just seeing the wear and tear on the players. Luka Doncic is a fucking zombie right now. And I can''t believe Thibs is still running his players into the ground like he did in Chicago. It's like he builds his teams around players who don't want to leave the game, even if it's for their own good. What Jalen Brunson is doing for that team is legendary shit tho.

And this was before Thibs left his players in down 40 in the 2nd half.

I was wondering how long it would take for the Thibs minutes to catch up to the Knicks, and it has done so with a vengeance. Honestly, would anyone be surprised if Indy takes the series now?  Combine the injuries with the dudes playing 45 minutes per game, and it's just not sustainable. If they somehow survive this series, Celtics sweep them easily.

Having both Celtics and NY Rangers games on the same day at the same time really isn't going to do my stress levels any favors. Hopefully NY wraps up tonight and they land on different days for the conference finals.

Posted (edited)

OKC is getting dangerously close to laying a massive egg in this series. Though even if they come back and win it, I can't see them getting past either Denver or Minnesota if their play isn't better than this.

Edited by Contentious C

Jokic putting up 40-7-13-2-1 on 15-22 shooting and with zero (0) turnovers is just... He's doing that to the best defensive big man of his era. I don't know if Denver just needed a sense of danger to wake up or what, but if Jokic is gonna play like that regularly you can start designing their back to back rings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Adding insult to the loss, the league fined Rudy Gobert $75,000 for the hand gestures he was doing implying the refs had been paid off. 

Especially stupid from France's favorite microphone fondler since it was on a blatantly obvious loose ball foul call where he shoved Jamal Murray literally to the other side of the paint.  A 4-year-old could have called that a foul.

10 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Minnesota's spirit is broken. I'm here for it. 

Meanwhile, we take you live to Madison Square Garden for an update with the talking heads who insist the Knicks are running on fumes...

*crickets*

Hmmm.

I mean it certainly seemed to be the case when they were down by 40 in the game before. But to your point they looked fresher and and more in control. As much as people, like myself, talk about Thibs Minutes, folks should also remember he's been building a team for this. He's assembled a group of grinders who are willing to play these minutes and not complain. I actually love Thibs as a coach, but I also recognize his approach isn't for every player and it can bite him in the ass.

I think Stan Van Gundy, who alternated between obnoxious and wise last night, made some great points about the team make up and how special they are. It's very much like that Jimmy Buttler Heat team that went to the finals. They've got that kind of endurance to weather storms and will their way into games. Which I'm sure, as a Boston fan, you're very excited to hear.

Meanwhile...

Minny lost game 3, and it was like "okay, they expected this to be tough." They lost game 4 and it was like "okay that sucks but we're playing the champs." After Game 5 I don't know if they know what the fuck to do now. They just look incapable of stopping this train, and I don't see an adjustment they can make other than, "make more tough shots." 

And my god some of those shots that Jokic put up over KAT and Gobert. The refs didn't make that ball go in. That was fucking wizardry.

• Like 1