DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MARCH 2024

Shartnado

34 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

Santana got bad advice. Only way to say it. As for Ortiz, his best hope is forming another team. Maybe with TAFKA No Way Jose…

I loved your idea above about putting Hager with Christian, so he's fresh in my mind - what about teaming Ortiz and Hager as a pair of ex-Jericho guys with something to prove?

26 minutes ago, Log said:

Bring in Bad Dude Tito and team Ortiz with him. Team Tito Ortiz!

Have them cut a promo after every loss about how they were secretly injured but didn't tell anyone so the loss doesn't really count.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

51 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I loved your idea above about putting Hager with Christian, so he's fresh in my mind - what about teaming Ortiz and Hager as a pair of ex-Jericho guys with something to prove?

Honestly, I'd think about merging those groups, but if I had the book I'd be pretty insistent on at least trying Ortiz & Jose together on some ROH tapings. Hager & Christian would look so good together, as this "80's movie villain" duo that just look right. 

I've been doing another watchthrough of "Community," and I'd also accept Ortiz as doing the gimmick Chang did during the first paintball episode; jumping from clique to clique in an attempt to latch on permanently. Like, even to the point of appearing with one group on Dynamite and another group on the following Rampage. It would be even better if the two groups were beefing and he switched sides mid-taping. He's a gifted comedic worker. Surely you can find a place for him.

• Like 1

Oh fucking hell, here we are talking about Jack and thinking maybe he can get over the suckiness of the heel turn, buuuuuut (NJPW spoilers)...

Spoiler

He joined House Of Torture 😂😂😂😫😫😫

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Jack was fun when he was the go-to upper midcard underdog/hero of the children, but when he was asked to do more - mainly, be a competent and believeable promo - he couldn't. He couldn't sell a program, he couldn't garner main event heat, he couldn't tell a story unless a vet like Christian was telling it for him. And he's one of several day-one AEW guys who hit that wall.

Good in-ring, solid character and/or mic work, physical credibility. You need two out of three, and he has one. Granted the heel turn seemed like a plan to help him develop the second point.

This pretty much covers it. I thought he was good as an underdog babyface who was somewhat exciting in the ring when everything clicked just right and was the first case of someone having a really catchy licensed theme. After a promising start during the covid era he really plateaued. Regardless of how accurate or out of context him not wanting to take advice or work on his promos was, he never got any better and while his heel character was a bit different, it just didn't fully click. Honestly I think he'd be better off joining Pillman Jr at the Performance Center.

5 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Honestly I think he'd be better off joining Pillman Jr at the Performance Center.

I don't entirely disagree, but I would assume this NJPW excursion is at least partially meant to fulfill a similar "seasoning" function as an NXT stint (setting aside all the 'heat from Wembley' stuff, naturally).

Edit: Which is to say, if he comes back the same guy, then yeah, I have very little issue with the next excursion being permanent and in Orlando...

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

I don’t think NXT has done Pillman any favors, so I don’t know if that’s the direction Jack wants to go in, if actually improving is the goal. Rock’s daughter has been in the system for 4 years and still can’t talk convincingly.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, EVA said:

I don’t think NXT has done Pillman any favors, so I don’t know if that’s the direction Jack wants to go in, if actually improving is the goal. Rock’s daughter has been in the system for 4 years and still can’t talk convincingly.

Oh yeah, no argument from me on that one - what I meant to say is, if he doesn't come back from Japan with a little more fire in his belly, it might be time

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kang said:

It's Matt Hardy. Unless his contract is extended then it's goodbye.

1 minute ago, zendragon said:

Would make sense to move him to larger backstage role ala Christopher Daniels

This is an interesting one because I assume Jeff has much more time remaining on his deal - no disrespect to Matt at all, but I'm not sure I see WWE interested in him at this point without Jeff (who may not necessarily be welcomed back after the way that last run ended). Curious how this one shakes out. If D'Amore hadn't left TNA, I could see a potential return there for Matt or both. If everyone stays well-behaved for a while, I could see a WWE HOF/t-shirt/video game run maybe - an 83rd Jeff DWI is probably preeeetty low on the totem pole of potential P.R. nightmares over there at the moment

• Like 1

Re: Jungle Jack
I like Jack. I'm pulling for his redemption story. He was a great natural babyface to start, but the act had run it's course. I liked the heel turn. And the Beethoven. Not to suggest everything was connecting from the jump, but I thought he did an excellent job. I'm okay with minor misfires. Shit happens, and overall it was building just fine. As @MattD pointed out that last bout with Hook was really good. Also, before he turned, he had a fun match v Rush that was totally overlooked. Mostly because it was a weird and kinda terrible build for a title contender moving on to a PPV Main Event. Further, I'm pretty okay with a wrestler needing some years and experience to meet the lofty expectations of being nicknamed a 'Pillar'. Same goes for Guevara. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 8

Man, great call on that RUSH match. Perfect matchup of their strengths. They had people online genuinely believing that RUSH was taking liberties with Jack.

• Like 5

The "primadonna" stuff feels unearned, too.  Yes, using real glass is stupid (IF in fact that was the issue...nobody is using actual glass panes, they're all using safety glass with the exception of your dumbest shindies) but CM Punk is not the booker or creative staff.  Take the glass out of it and you have an old head, not known for his sparkling personality or diplomatic prowess, seemingly big leaguing a younger guy and telling him how to do his match.  I'd be a little peeved, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

The "primadonna" stuff feels unearned, too.  Yes, using real glass is stupid (IF in fact that was the issue...nobody is using actual glass panes, they're all using safety glass with the exception of your dumbest shindies) but CM Punk is not the booker or creative staff.  Take the glass out of it and you have an old head, not known for his sparkling personality or diplomatic prowess, seemingly big leaguing a younger guy and telling him how to do his match.  I'd be a little peeved, too.

The Jungle Boy glass spot Phil got hot about was with glass bottles, not glass panes. 

Panes are pretty rare even in deathmatch feds. They're a lot more expensive than light tubes, and light tubes are safer to work with, provided you remember not to jab with them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

The Jungle Boy glass spot Phil got hot about was with glass bottles, not glass panes. 

Panes are pretty rare even in deathmatch feds. They're a lot more expensive than light tubes, and light tubes are safer to work with, provided you remember not to jab with them.

Ah, thanks!  And giving the benefit of a doubt, I'm sure they were using candy glass and not actual glass bottles. 

The bad thing about light tubes is that indies don't typically drain all the hazardous gunk out first, right?

Light tubes only contain trace levels of mercury. If they didn't, Jun Kasai would have died of Mercuy poisoning by now.

But yes, the deathmatch promotions don't pierce the tubes before they're used (taking the ends off would be more dangerous). There is a feeling that the clouds of Spooky Dust are a great visual.

• Thanks 1

On a different note, I keep hearing that if you want to come across as edgy and cool, you need to order AEW’s next ppv.

Well I’m here to just reassure you that you don’t have to watch Dynasty to have an attitude.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2