DVDVR Message Board

2024 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

I'm very anxious to see how free agency shakes out for The Giants. Upgrades are needed in a lot of areas and the draft can't fix them all.

Losing Barkley is bad. Losing McKinney is bad. Being stuck with Danny Limes is bad. The number 6 pick is a bit outside of that guaranteed franchise QB pick slot. But maybe a franchise WR (which has been needed in NY for awhile now).

I also do NOT want Russel Wilson popping his head in the door trying to get on the roster for a vet minimum contract. Will just cause more drama than it will fix.

Also also, not sold on the new D coordinator. This could be a very bad year in New York.

15 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Jonnu Smith to the Dolphins. 

2/10

I got a kick out of this before I realized that 2/10 is the contract numbers and not just you rating Dolphins signings based on your own excitement levels.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Russ was in East Rutherford today having what Schefter described as "exploratory" talks with the Giants Football Club. 

He's on his way to Pittsburgh now.

(I mean, if you're willing to take the dead cap hit for Jones... this might be an alternative?)

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

(I mean, if you're willing to take the dead cap hit for Jones... this might be an alternative?)

Jones will be on the Giants in 2024 no matter what.

They will cut him after the season because the cap hit next year is much more doable

But the Giants definitely need one or two QBs this offseason (since they aren't bringing back Tyrod Taylor. Tommy Devito can easily be stashed on the practice squad)

What a weird move. For The Jaguars, not The Patriots. We knew Mac Jones wasn't the guy. So not surprising The Patriots are moving on. But for The Jags to bring in someone who sure seemed like he threw a lot of hissy fits to be your backup, just odd. But good, I forever hate Doug Pederson and wish him nothing but bad luck professionally.

• Like 1

Jaguars trying to corner the market on white college QB who legend died once the NFL draft was over.  Hope nobody tells them about Zack Wilson 

You know the Pats are drafting a QB but unless they give up a ton it will be the 3rd or 4th best one 

Edited by hammerva
  • Haha 1

Mac Jones is a Jacksonville native, so he’s a natural fit to become popular if they get tired of Trevor Lawrence or he gets hurt.

Tony should send anonymous pamphlets to Mac Jones locker to see if he’s interested in being a pro wrestler.

Sadly they can’t work his NFL 6’3/220 into being a wrestling 6’5/235 since it’s possible NFL heights/weights are already worked a little.

12 minutes ago, hammerva said:

You know the Pats are drafting a QB but unless they give up a ton it will be the 3rd or 4th best one 

Eh, considering that there's no real consensus top QB between Williams, Maye and Daniels, it wouldn't behoove either the Commanders or the Patriots to try to move up to #1 unless they're totally set on one particular one and wouldn't even think about drafting the other two.

• Like 1

Thing is, people up in Boston are just a wee bit spoiled based on everything since TB12 took over.  This is the first time in, what, 25 years that the Pats aren't going to run Belichick's offense?   (Yeah, I know Mayo is a Bill disciple but it at least there should be a slightly different look.)

My point being, whichever they end up with is probably going to struggle for a bit while they get the ship righted up there.  Question is, how long a rope does Mayo and his new QB get.   I'd honestly not be shocked if they sign someone like Tannehill to a 2-3 year deal to keep the new guy protected a bit while working things out. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

Jaguars trying to corner the market on white college QB who legend died once the NFL draft was over.  Hope nobody tells them about Zack Wilson 

I think they'll take McCarthy and end up being happy with him if they let him sit for a year. 

It is a good one year plug to help them satisfy that 9 to 10 win goal that Tomlin seems to be content with.   Plus he will be cheap as hell.  Not going to get a starting QB at any level this cheap.   But do I think he will be able to take the Steelers past the wild card?   Not really.    Plus you have to realize that Arthur Smith is the new OC and god only knows what he will do with the talent we have.   

The main question is whether the 2024 version of Russel Wilson is really that much better than an inexperienced Kenny Pickett.  I don't know.  That Broncos stuff was bad but man he was surrounded by a lot of shit

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

It is a good one year plug to help them satisfy that 9 to 10 win goal that Tomlin seems to be content with.   Plus he will be cheap as hell.  Not going to get a starting QB at any level this cheap.   But do I think he will be able to take the Steelers past the wild card?   Not really.    Plus you have to realize that Arthur Smith is the new OC and god only knows what he will do with the talent we have.   

The main question is whether the 2024 version of Russel Wilson is really that much better than an inexperienced Kenny Pickett.  I don't know.  That Broncos stuff was bad but man he was surrounded by a lot of shit

I'm generally indifferent about the Steelers, but I hope they give Pickett the opportunity to still win the job. If he gets outplayed in the preseason, of course they'd start Russell, but Pickett still could be the "future" while Russell clearly isn't so if Pickett makes the jump they shouldn't hold him back. Year 3 can be "make or break" year for a QB, he could be a bust but sometimes it just takes a few years to fully develop.

• Like 2

Dion Dawkins gave everyone in Buffalo a heart attack for eleven minutes by implying he was leaving the Bills but he was just trolling, he signed an extension. That was one of the easier ways to get the Bills back under the cap, no details yet but assuming its for Big Money.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Bears are signing D'Andre Swift

3 years, $24 million ($15.3 million is guaranteed)

And Tony Pollard is signing with the Titans for a similar 3 year, $24 million deal