DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXVII - 1/27/2024

8 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I thought it was a pretty nice example of how much of a professional Miz is, watching him repeatedly bump and feed for Punk once he got in the ring, despite all the shit Punk's talked about him over the years.

They supposedly hashed things out last year before Punk returned from injury/suspension to AEW. There is even some backstage footage of them being friendly at one of the recent Raws.

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The brief Miz/Truth reunion was a nice callback.

They started teaming again the past few weeks.

How does Punk have zero cardio now? His arm was fucked up, not his legs. Nothing stopped him from being on a treadmill this whole time and at least keeping his cardio up. I don't think I've ever seen Punk suck this much wind in a ring before. Maybe the closest was when he bulked up way too much in OVW and WWE ECW and he was kinda bloated.

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Ah. I thought Truth was just going all the Judgment Day stuff recently. You can only pick up so much by osmosis and not actually watching. 🙂

R-Truth's Judgement Day segments are worth catching if they are on youtube.

18 hours ago, Godfrey said:

. I've made my thoughts known on Cody, glad he works for other people but I think there were at least 5 more interesting options. WWE sure knows how to kill their own momentum sometimes

how I felt about the womens' rumble.  have found bayley horribly overrated since day one and it's only gotten worse. Wanted to get excited for Jade, Liv, or someone but the show ended up feeling as boring as possible despite some solid hype going in. 

I enjoyed the men's Rumble much more than it merited, as my parents came round to hang out with their grandson, and my Mum was so high on baby endorphins that she got properly into the wrestling. Lots of 'Ow! That looked like it really hurt!', she got very invested in someone being able to stop Gunther (who was mainly the one hurting people, of course), and was well behind Kofi and Drew.

My Dad was less into it but still moreso than at any point since we watched Rumble 91 together. Just as his glee at the absurd size of the Natural Disasters was part of what got me into it then, he was impressed by Bronson Reed and Omos this time. Both parents were also entertained and appalled by Bron Breakker charging around like an enraged steroid elemental. Neither really got CM Punk.

So, below average show, but nice to know it's never too late for some new treasured Royal Rumble memories. The baby mainly just listened to it, there was milk to drink.

Edited by SturmCRF
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

How does Punk have zero cardio now? His arm was fucked up, not his legs. Nothing stopped him from being on a treadmill this whole time and at least keeping his cardio up. I don't think I've ever seen Punk suck this much wind in a ring before. Maybe the closest was when he bulked up way too much in OVW and WWE ECW and he was kinda bloated.

It looks like he’s been solely focusing on increasing his size/mass so as to not look too small in comparison to the roster.

• Like 1

Protect this man at all costs. 

BTW, McAfee did an interview yesterday where he said it was a legit surprise when he got called into the match. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hamhock said:

It looks like he’s been solely focusing on increasing his size/mass so as to not look too small in comparison to the roster.

That was my exact thought. He’s bulkier without looking fat or bloated like how he looked the last time he tried to…ummm…cultivate mass when he got to OVW. Like, dude, I know Cody or Seth are probably the baseline for being thick but not being superhuman big. You also don’t need to look like that. You’re just fine looking like you did in AEW.

EDIT: And maybe he’s also started taking T. Hell, I’m not an athlete, but I’m going to be 44 in October and I’m going to start on T next week. So it wouldn’t surprise me if Punk is going through the same shit other folks in their 40s or older start going through, but the difference with Punk if he started taking T is that he also works out all the time so yeah, it’s going to result in him gaining more mass than before, but at the sacrifice of cardio.

Edited by Craig H

56 minutes ago, Craig H said:

EDIT: And maybe he’s also started taking T. Hell, I’m not an athlete, but I’m going to be 44 in October and I’m going to start on T next week. So it wouldn’t surprise me if Punk is going through the same shit other folks in their 40s or older start going through, but the difference with Punk if he started taking T is that he also works out all the time so yeah, it’s going to result in him gaining more mass than before, but at the sacrifice of cardio.

Is taking T still straight edge?

GE8pH0eWIAEv5QL?format=jpg&name=large

Spare a thought for the poor Guatemalan grandmother who's going to be wearing a 2024 Royal Rumble Winner Karrion Kross shirt later this year.   😞

• Haha 11

2 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Is taking T still straight edge?

I’ve been out of the straight edge stuff since I turned 21. I suppose like most things it depends on the person. I know some straight edge folks don’t even take an NSAID, but I think Punk has said before that he’ll only take Ibuprofen and not any pain killers prescribed to him. Although I do the same thing but that’s because the only pain killer that has ever worked for me is ibuprofen. Oxycodone, Vicodin, and muscle relaxers may as well be sugar pills for me.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

GE8pH0eWIAEv5QL?format=jpg&name=large

Spare a thought for the poor Guatemalan grandmother who's going to be wearing a 2024 Royal Rumble Winner Karrion Kross shirt later this year.   😞

The kids in Malawi are gonna love their "2024 Royal Rumble Winner Brock Lesnar" t-shirts

• Haha 2

We were at Jimmy's Seafood and despite the expensive bill we had fun watching it.  It's been a few years since we went for a show and I had a feeling the crowd would lose their minds for folks like Cody and especially Jade.  So end of week stuff be damned why the hell not?

The woman's match was much more entertaining than the men's as the men's felt like a slog especially towards the end.  I was happy to see Naomi/Trinity back and I would hope they've seen just how great she's gotten in TNA (I know she started during the Impact days but I started back with them from Hard to Kill)  Speaking of TNA I was delighted to see Jordynne even if I had to deal with a woman next to me criticizing her looks the whole time (won't say what but let's just say I didn't feel bad when her guy walked out on her later on)  I might have to rewatch some of the early stuff with Jordynne since I won't have to put up with that on rewatch.  But anyway I loved that they brought her in.  Chelsea was fantastic and everybody had to settle down when Jade appeared.  And man did they freak out when she dumped Nia.  I'm happy Bayley won and was pretty entertained through it all.

The two regular matches were honestly a bore and I was hoping the men's Rumble would be fun.  But it just lacked that spark to it for reasons covered here.  The highlights were R Truth being a goddamn treasure and McAfee's entrance/exit.  Other than that that was about it and we were itching to leave once it got down to Cody and Punk.  I could see a case for either winning but was cool with Cody winning.

• Like 2

Starting to see it be reported multiple places that Punk stuffered a significant injury (thought to be a torn triceps) but not confirmed yet. And that he will address his injury tonight in Raw.

Not happy to be right but was pretty apprent while watching.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait -- so did you bring your laptop to the restaurant?! Dude, if you went to all that trouble, thanks! 

Ha!  That would have been very amusing trying to find a power outlet in a crowded bar let alone connecting to wifi.  But I use TeamViewer to remote into my home computer and get things done.  It was weird as Peacock worked on shows while I was on the computer but while remoting it it would have a black screen.  When Firefox and Edge failed me I was finally able to get it working on Opera.

Fun fact, half the times I streamed on Discord I was out and about.  So if I ask how the stream is it's likely because I'm out.  At least the ROH shows are reliable for me and I feel confident about AEW shows via Fite.  But that's streaming for ya.

Now that you mention the laptop if that was all I had especially years ago I might have been stubborn enough to try it.  It would have drove my wife up the wall but I would have tried it back then.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1