DVDVR Message Board

2024 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Okay now. I still haven't watched the last episode, and we're almost to the LAST episode. SPOILERS please.

If you mean my post, it's not really a spoiler, just a cool thing that was pointed out by uber TD nerds when the ghost's wife mentioned his full name.  He was only featured in an early episode and his identity hasn't had any bearing on any important plot points for the season.

A far worse spoiler was perpetuated by Max themselves, starting an episode with a suicide trigger warning when there's only one character on the show that was really likely to take their own life.  It didn't ruin the ep and I understand the need for such things, but still.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

Well I went ahead and watched the episode...

Spoiler

I don't really understand what y'all are talking about with Cohle's dad or whatever anyway. I think I missed one of the pre-credit sequences on the 2nd or 3rd episode and the information in it.

So, five episodes out of six, and they finally reveal who the big bad is (ostensibly), and info dump everything within the span of two scenes. Kind of... rushed. If you look back the only thing really pointing at any of this was Mr. Wannabe Chief hiding the box of evidence. None of this feels especially well written, really, even if I like it. Kind of slow burn for the sake of slow burn. 

Pretty hilarious that Jodie Foster dropped like an 8-ball worth of dope right in that dude's lap. Guess she wanted him dead as much as the corporate chick. 

There is one more thing I'm wondering about besides what's in the caves, and that's if Jodie falling through the ice is a vision/hallucination or real. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

It was never specifically mentioned that Travis was Rust’s dad. You can just put 2 and 2 together with them having the same last name and Rust mentioning that his dad was in Alaska in season one (I didn’t remember that, saw it pointed out elsewhere). 

Rust may have also mentioned that his dad had Leukemia at some point, too, but I’m not sure. 

Also, the Tuttle name that comes up as the company that owns the research lab, etc. is the same name as the villainous rich family in season one. 

I don’t think these things are anything more than Easter eggs for fans. It’s not going to lead to Rust showing up in the last episode to save someone and then they join forces to battle the Tuttles once and for all or any shit like that. I think it’s just sprinkling in some little things for fun. 

• Like 1

True Detective spoilers

Spoiler

Well, I like how they wrapped it up. I had a real groaner moment when they has the wispy singing of "Twist and Shout" in the soundtrack, and no idea why they had the music come on AGAIN at Tsalal. Like last episode this was one long info-dump. Guess it only matters if you liked the info. 

Could this have made a neater movie, or miniseries? Did it need six whole hours to tell the story? I dunno. 

Someone is gonna have to clue me in about what the supercure was in the permafrost. Cure for cancer? All I've heard is people potentially digging up superflus from the ice, in real life. 

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

True Detective spoilers

Hide contents

Well, I like how they wrapped it up. I had a real groaner moment when they has the wispy singing of "Twist and Shout" in the soundtrack, and no idea why they had the music come on AGAIN at Tsalal. Like last episode this was one long info-dump. Guess it only matters if you liked the info. 

Could this have made a neater movie, or miniseries? Did it need six whole hours to tell the story? I dunno. 

Someone is gonna have to clue me in about what the supercure was in the permafrost. Cure for cancer? All I've heard is people potentially digging up superflus from the ice, in real life. 

Spoiler

Pretty sure Clark turned the music up to mess with Navarro and Danvers when they made it up to the facility.

My only gripe was that it didn't seem like they were anywhere near the facility when they fell into the lower section of the ice cave, then suddenly they find the ladder to the lab.

I thought they were going to go with the angle that instead of a cure the scientists found something that could be weaponized which caused Annie to destroy the research.

• Like 1

Some of the end felt kind of pat

Spoiler

Danvers is shocked out of her "slumber" post-child death by falling through the ice by following Navarro into the wild where she's hallucinating/seeing beyond/whatever. Being healed, she stays around while Navarro walks off into the fucking ocean to be with her sister. All the problems with the bodies and the research are tied up with a neat little bow by both the video that got leaked and the interview video. For a show that's so pseudo-mystical they seemed to have a problem with any loose threads hanging there, and made sure to explain everything to the back row after stringing you along with no information for five episodes. 

Eh. Maybe I should stop thinking about it. That's clearly what they want me to do, anyway.

Spoiler

I think the hint was that Captain Prior did it when he moved the body as a warning. Or maybe he was just a sick fuck. A supernatural explanation does not fit given the friendly/non-malevolent spirit presences in the show. Anybody else got a theory?

EDIT: Whoop. I forgot to mention we got "time is a flat circle" again.

EDIT II: Oh and all of this of course had to happen on the cusp of and during a New Year. The metaphors were pretty LOUD in this season.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Jimmy Kimmel is getting sued by George Santos because Santos claims Kimmel hid his identity and then asked Santos to make Cameo videos for him that ended up being a source of mockery on TV.

I don't really care for Kimmel on all sorts of levels, but DAMN is that both the best and the worst use of a rich person's money.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Just found out classic Iron Chef is now on Peacock. 

sadly, no backdraft music. 

That probably means that the music used from Escaflowne got axed too

James

Its the whole run of classic Iron Chef, but the episodes are all out of order.  Or possibly just the seasons are out of order, but still.

Sadly, they ran the dubbed Kaga instead of subbing him while everyone else is dubbed.

Nic Pizzolatto sulking about season 4 on Instagram is giving me life. Just constant passive-aggressive likes and shares, like a wrestler who’s unhappy with their push.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:
  Hide contents

I think the hint was that Captain Prior did it when he moved the body as a warning. Or maybe he was just a sick fuck. A supernatural explanation does not fit given the friendly/non-malevolent spirit presences in the show. Anybody else got a theory?

EDIT: Whoop. I forgot to mention we got "time is a flat circle" again.

EDIT II: Oh and all of this of course had to happen on the cusp of and during a New Year. The metaphors were pretty LOUD in this season.

Not sure about the theory of Prior putting the tongue there.  Annie K was murdered long before episode 1.  That's a long time for a tongue to sit there on the floor.  😄

Quick question for everyone who watched:

Spoiler

Am I reading the ending right, that Navarro walked off to her death like her sister did?

To the top one, good point. In that case it's possible that the tongue was some kind of manifestation from another plane? Maybe as a warning, still?

To the bottom one, yes. 

Spoiler

Navarro was a spirit in the scene on the deck IMO. I'm not sure if Danvers could even see her standing there. Then again she did see the bear with the missing eye when she got drunk and crashed into the snowbank. 

There's a fun mash-up that just entered my mind where the scientists dig up the vampires from 30 Days of Night in the ice and Danvers and Navarro have to fight them. Turns out the indigenous women know all about them and turn out to be the community's saviors. A whole group of Grandpa from The Lost Boys who have been joining the protests because they know they're gonna be overrun by bloodsuckers eventually. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Not sure about the theory of Prior putting the tongue there.  Annie K was murdered long before episode 1.  That's a long time for a tongue to sit there on the floor.  😄

Well, more like,

Spoiler

he had it stashed somewhere and when they got called to the scene - remember that he knew the truth all along because of his role in her death - he dumped it to make the point that he hadn't forgotten (or maybe wanted another payday from whoever).  Given he knew so much to begin with, he probably knew about the location details, and the bolt-hole, well enough to think it could be a disappearance, i.e., the scientists might still be alive and would find the tongue if the cops didn't.  There's no way they moved the body out through the cave system; it would have been way easier to tie her up and go through the base.

OTOH, these are Alaskans, they're probably all familiar with hunting and dressing an animal.  Surprised Pete never found it in the freezer and said, hey, tongue, I'll cook that up!

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1