DVDVR Message Board

2024 VIDEO GAMES CATCH ALL THREAD

It is already noted in the Borderlands thread but Embracer sold off another big piece

Gearbox has been acquired by Take-Two Interactive for $460 million which oh btw is in Take-Two shares not cash

Not all the Gearbox assets are being sold

In a press release, Embracer shared that it is divesting Gearbox Software, Gearbox Montreal, Gearbox Studio Quebec, and the franchises Borderlands, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Homeworld, Risk of Rain, Brothers in Arms, and Duke Nukem. Embracer will retain rights to Gearbox Publishing San Francisco (formerly Perfect World Entertainment, and which it plans to rename), the publishing rights to Remnant, Hyper Light Breaker, and other unannounced games, Cryptic Studios, Lost Boys Interactive, and Captured Dimensions. All of its retained assets will be integrated into other parts of Embracer Group. The sale is expected to close by the end of June.

15 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Zen announced a Pinball Bites for tomorrow, so we're getting new PinballFX and PinballM tables soon.

I loved the previous iteration of Pinball FX but the last version wanted you to double-dip and buy all the tables you'd purchased AGAIN so I said adios to that shit.

2 hours ago, No Point Stance said:

I loved the previous iteration of Pinball FX but the last version wanted you to double-dip and buy all the tables you'd purchased AGAIN so I said adios to that shit.

I totally get that, but with a full-engine overhaul they couldn't just give everything away and the old one was getting kind of rickety. I ended up buying the subscription for year 1, and just re-purchssing tables as they went on heavy discount.

May update is going to be a big UI overhaul and a lot of bug fixes. New tables are Universal Television (Knight Rider, Vena and Battlestar Galactica) and a "teaser" for another Legendary table that is quite obviously Godzilla x Kong.

• Like 1

Yeah, I saw that they already did a table based on whatever we're calling the previous Godzilla Vs. Kong movie now. I guess I'd spring for a re-do of the Jaws table if they've managed to acquire genuine vocal samples from the film and y'know the actual fucking score. I've no idea what caveats were in place when they licenced the film but couldn't include the Jaws theme in any way.

• Like 1

My laptop is getting long in the tooth and I've got a raise coming at work so I bit the bullet and bought a Steamdeck.  I've only had it for a couple of days but it's a really nice piece of kit, if a little fiddly with the configuration.

Mostly I've been using it to play Wind Waker and King of Colosseum 2 so far, so money well spent.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Zimbra said:

My laptop is getting long in the tooth and I've got a raise coming at work so I bit the bullet and bought a Steamdeck.  I've only had it for a couple of days but it's a really nice piece of kit, if a little fiddly with the configuration.

Mostly I've been using it to play Wind Waker and King of Colosseum 2 so far, so money well spent.

Just remember that if a Steam game won’t launch, try different versions of Proton. There are some instances of games just straight up not working though. For example, the two isometric Tomb Raider games didn’t work on the Steam Deck for the longest time, but suddenly do now. Another example: the Prince of Persia games are set up for K&M only, so you have to download community configs for a controller or Steam Deck controls. After that, they work great.

I love it, I got the 64GB launch model and haven’t looked back. I don’t play it near as much as I used to, but I still love the thing.

• Like 1

In the 90's, I used to rent both Street Fighter II: The World Warrior and Street Fighter II Turbo for the SNES.

I have Hyper Street Fighter 2 for PS2. And I also have for PS2, Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 1, which had the PS1 ports of Street Fighter II: The World Warrior, Street Fighter II: Champion Edition, Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting. 

I'm gonna mess around with Mugen for Street Fighter 2.

After getting way into playing the AKI games, I decided to flesh out my tiny N64 collection before cart prices got any higher.

I procured a used copy of Super Smash Bros. for only five dollars more than its launch price (and this, figuring inflation into the mix, for a reasonable price considering that it's a 25-year-old used game).

This will be a highly curated collection, and the only time that I plan to spend more than I did on Smash is on a copy of Paper Mario. Everything else should be stuff on the margins that I never got to own when I originally got an N64 back in the day.

And you know, I have never played the first Perfect Dark game, but it's on its way to me in the mail this week. I am looking forward to it.

On another note, Ubi should just cancel any planned Assassin's Creed game set in feudal Japan. They damn sure can't make something to the level of Rise of the Ronin, much less Ghost of Tsushima.

• Like 1

Oh man you're going to have a good time with Perfect Dark. Frankly it's held up a lot better than Goldeneye even if that one gets a lot of nostalgia points (and is still fun in its own way don't get me wrong).

EA has put Dead Space back on the shelf. No DS2 remake, or new entry, due to low sales of the DS1 remake.

At least I got the remake for $2 thanks to Xbox’s “Offers For You” thing in their storefront. And all three original ones still hold up incredibly well, so I can play the remake and then go right into 2 and 3.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/8/2024 at 1:10 PM, SirSmUgly said:

After getting way into playing the AKI games, I decided to flesh out my tiny N64 collection before cart prices got any higher.

And you know, I have never played the first Perfect Dark game, but it's on its way to me in the mail this week. I am looking forward to it.

Perfect Dark is probably the best single-stick FPS ever made, but be aware that if you don't have an N64 Expansion Pak you will only be able to play deathmatch mode, not the story. There's a solid stack of missions where you play vs bots a la the Unreal Tournament games or the Dreamcast version of Quake 3, but you will be missing out on the main piece of solo content

Edited by Cliff Hanger
Fixed a typo and cut the quoted text to the relevant part.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Perfect Dark is probably the best single-stick FPS ever made, but be aware that if you don't have an N64 Expansion Pak you will only be able to play deathmatch mode, not the story. There's a solid stack of missions where you play vs bots a la the Unreal Tournament games or the Dreamcast version of Quake 3, but you will be missing out on the main piece of solo content

A quick search shows that the Expansion Pak is somewhere between 45 and 60 dollars. That's fine, even though what the hell else am I going to use it with? DK 64 is a cursed game, and I refuse to have a copy of that in my house. I don't really have a desire to play either of the Zelda games on N64 post-remakes. Maybe the best one of the NFL Quarterback Club games?

Edit: Pulled the trigger on a refurb that I feel like is the best bet for actually working. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by SirSmUgly

As I play Dragon's Dogma 2, and its a good game, I come across a common complaint I have about some games like this. I hate, with a capital H, games with very limited carrying capacity. I get it, they are trying to add an element of realism. But in a game I'm battling dragons, not eating regularly, and going days at a time sometimes without sleeping, can we focus on what is *fun* and not what is realistic? Having to spend time giving things to pawns, running back to town to use storage (when there is no easy/cheap fast travel especially early in the game), not being able to pick up things I want while deep in a cave isn't fun. I want to have fun.

I don't use mods often but one mod I do use for skyrim/fallout is the mod for unlimited carry capacity (or something similar). I don't mind some realism in games, for example I have no issue with games that have "weight" matter when equipping armor like FromSoft games as that adds an element of strategy. But if my guy is carrying two swords, two suits of armor, two tents, 20 potions, and 5 pieces of iron ore, what's a few more items?

Anyway, I like Dragon's Dogma 2 a lot, I just hate the inventory management.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

As I play Dragon's Dogma 2, and its a good game, I come across a common complaint I have about some games like this. I hate, with a capital H, games with very limited carrying capacity. I get it, they are trying to add an element of realism. But in a game I'm battling dragons, not eating regularly, and going days at a time sometimes without sleeping, can we focus on what is *fun* and not what is realistic? Having to spend time giving things to pawns, running back to town to use storage (when there is no easy/cheap fast travel especially early in the game), not being able to pick up things I want while deep in a cave isn't fun. I want to have fun.

I don't use mods often but one mod I do use for skyrim/fallout is the mod for unlimited carry capacity (or something similar). I don't mind some realism in games, for example I have no issue with games that have "weight" matter when equipping armor like FromSoft games as that adds an element of strategy. But if my guy is carrying two swords, two suits of armor, two tents, 20 potions, and 5 pieces of iron ore, what's a few more items?

Anyway, I like Dragon's Dogma 2 a lot, I just hate the inventory management.

The worst is when you start a game with absolutely nothing, don't really understand how anything works, and by the end of the first mission you have to decide which of these things to drop on the ground before you even get to the first town.  

• Like 2

There's never been a game ever in the history of all games where I was glad for carrying capacity or though it improved the experience. I want to pick up everything there is to pick up. I've been replaying Golden Sun 1+2 on the NSO and it's so annoying that all of the necessary psynergy items count against your total item count for a character. Just let the characters learn the abilities without an item then.

• Like 1

I was talking to one of the guys at work about Starfield and the annoyance of running around over encumbered because of how Bethesda games are about picking up every single thing you find. 

The Japanese arcade version of SSF2T is easier, which is known as Super Street Fighter II X: Grand Master Challenge. Their highest hard mode is closer to the western setting on the lowest. 

The Street Fighter Collection ports of Turbo for Saturn and PlayStation are easier. The SSF2T HD Remix game and mode was easier at least in relation, and reblanced again. 

There need to be more Videogame RPGs that simply accept that nobody really likes equipment mechanics. 

I mean, it's one thing if it's like D&D 5e, where you can start out with a regular Longsword, at low mid-level you might get a Longsword +1, at high-mid level you could possibly get a Longsword +2, and then a Longsword +3 is literally the highest level weapon you can find. Now you might switch it out for a BattleAxe, or find a Sword that does something else fancy like a Vorpal Sword, but that's basically it.

Whereas in Cyberpunk, I've picked up a dozen Shotguns. Some are Power Shotguns, some are Tech Shotguns, some have a DPS of 592, some have a DPS of 603, and some only have a DPS of 304. But it's just, like, option paralysis.

Chugs finally finished with  FFVII after something like 135 hours. I bet an hour or two of that was his constanLy playing “Materia Tetris” just about every time he picked some up or got a new weapon.